Anyone else LOVE the toddler phase? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear so much complaining about the toddler stage and how people love babies and love older children, but can't stand the toddler stage.

I love love LOVE the toddler stage! I also happen to be a multi-age preschool teacher and i really LOVE the two and threes sooo much (we are two through six). I love the challenge of it all....figuring out what they want/need, avoiding temper tandtrums, teaching them new skills, watching them explore new materials, seeing the excitement in their eyes (even if it is right before they dump paint on another child's head or dump their snack everywhere lol).

I ::: them so much

I love my crazy little 20 month old to pieces...

I actually have feeling i'll like parenting less when he's older because to me, toddlers are the best
Crystal Chapin likes this.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM

I have this attitude for days at a time, while watching DS barrel through life, enjoying every minute of it. And then something will happen and I'll despair at getting through the next few years, and that will last for a few days, and then I'm back to being in awe of him at this stage of development.
So, I guess I'm with you about 45% of the time!

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#3 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 10:33 PM

I love it too. I love that he is finally communicating with me. I love seeing all the benefits of building our trust relationship up to this point. i love being able to get hugs and kisses. i love having a little buddy to do everything with. i love playing outside in the dirt and thinking of new things to do with him. picnics are our big thing right now. And I love that he is telling me yes and no now- sooooooooo cute.

i was not into the baby stage too much but i love toddler and on
#4 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Fay

Yes, I love the toddler stage...the emerging problem-solving skills, the afternoon snuggles, the self-expression through art & dress-up...unbelievable cuteness here. But my boys never really went through the "terrible 2s & rotten 3s" as one parent so charmingly introduced her children to me once.

I used to teach high school. I love every stage of childhood, especially the stages that other parents dread, LOL.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#5 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 PM

I'm loving this age way more than infancy. I was so sick through the first 9 months that I really couldn't enjoy him. I have fond memories of him at that age still though. But now....WOW.....he is just so expressive and creative! I love doing art things with him and gardening and splashing in puddles after a good rain. He is lots of fun and very rarely has tantrums.

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#6 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 PM

I am no expert in child development, but I am loving my toddlerhood so far! So cute, he makes me laugh every day.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#7 of 38 Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 PM

DH and I were talking about this very topic, just the other day. We concluded that toddlers are so incredibly cute because they are walking, talking babies. So, they still have their cute little baby noses and toes...but, they also have the opinions and creativity. She makes me laugh every day!

I have loved every stage of DD's precious life. Babyhood was a dream...just a totally easy going babe! Toddlerhood is a riot...DD is that same easygoing person. But, now she has thoughts and the language to express them, an imagination, and the energy and stamina to play and play and play. DD loves to go for long walks seek out all of the creatures; deer, foxes, bunnies, bees (right now, she calls every little bug, crumb, fuzz, etc. a bee ). She loves to carry around her doll or a stuffed animal in her sling, read books, draw, ride her trike, and help around the house...all of it is just too cute!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#8 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 12:27 AM

yep, i love the toddler stage! (Wish my 5 year old would go back to being 2 )

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#9 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 01:04 AM

Me me me!!!

I love toddlers!!! It's the 8-12 ages that drive me batty. But babies, toddlers, and teens...them's my favorites!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#10 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM

Me too! There are challenges, I'll admit, but mostly just for me parenting a child through a new stage and not always knowing how to handle things. My DD is super fun! I remember around 15 months I started thinking...wow, this is really FUN!!! She was walking, starting to say words, we could go out and do things and play at the park...and now at 26 months it is still so fun! She is absolutely captivating, and watching her develop all these new skills and language and start to overcome some of her anxieties and hearing her find ways to express her ideas and figure out how everything works...it is wonderful!
#11 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 PM

me!! i'm loving it! : the language aquisition is just tremendous, like, i'll point to my knee and say "knee" and she knows it. she must have at least 50 words now, so fun!!

eh. who needs a signature?
#12 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 03:32 PM

I find toddlers just so interesting. It makes me wonder at what stage people become so boring. LOL. It just seems like they learn something new every day.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
#13 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 03:42 PM

I love toddlerhood as well, of course it can be maddening a times, but the insaitiable love for life that they have far outshines the trying moments. DD just amazes me everyday with her fearless living, how open and imaginative she is, toddlers rock!
#14 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 PM

I love my toddler to pieces, to the moon and back. He's the best. I even love it when he says "no" because I love that he has opinions. I love that he tells me stories about squirrels and birds, that he holds my hand when we walk down the street, that he makes different sounds for each of our cats. I go to bed every night excited to see him in the morning. I'm very sad when I'm at work and I don't get to hang with my little buddy.

We have a few bad days here and there and they're always related to his lack of sleep because of teething, then he spends the entire day making huge messes around the house. I just know that tomorrow is another day.

So, yeah, I love my toddler. He's the most awesome creature on the face of this earth in my eyes. And so much better than the baby stage.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#15 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 03:59 PM

We never knew what "Terrible Two" meant.
Even on his worst days, it's always been "Terrific Two" around here.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#16 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 04:14 PM

I can't wait until my son hits toddlerhood. That is when things really got fun with my daughter. I love toddlers and preschoolers. I'm not a big fan of the baby stage.

coolshine.gif

#17 of 38 Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Dh and I both love this stage. Actually, every age she has been we always say "this is the best age" lol. I find this stage is so much fun because every day she learns something new, it is just so great to watch her blossom into an independent little thing.
#18 of 38 Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 AM

I do!! My child is hilarious. I can't wait to hear the things he says every day, and he is just so beautiful!
#19 of 38 Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 AM

I LOVE it. Of course, everyone has to tell me that David isn't like other toddlers and my next kids will probably be god-awful terrors (people are so sweet). Granted, he is a complete zen hippie kid. It's so amazing watching him discover this world. I enjoy it so much.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#20 of 38 Old 05-17-2009, 01:08 AM

There are days where I wish he was still a baby, but for the most part I love him this age! He always knows when he is starting to push my buttons and he will do something adorable to make me laugh. I love seeing how his mind works, and all the new things he is learning, and watching home really start to talk and communicate. I love that I talk to him and he understands, and that I can start to really understand him.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#21 of 38 Old 05-17-2009, 05:02 PM

I love, love, love this age. My Ds is 2.5yrs old and is so cute. He is a handful but I'm enjoying every single minute. :
#22 of 38 Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Absolutely love this age! And most people I talk to do say "oh, this is such a fun age, isn't it?" I don't actually hear much about the "terrible twos" in real life conversations.

I just agree with the other posters, it's just so FUN seeing them discover the world and develop their own personalities and opinions. She's turning into a real PERSON now with her own thoughts and desires, and it's not "just" instinct anymore or stimulus-response... there is deliberate thought, decision-making, preferences, ideas...

She loves to do things by herself and watching her emergent independence is so fulfilling. "Caileigh do it self!" Then the cute turn-arounds, like just 5 minutes ago, DH was going to get up out of his easy chair and go upstairs with her. She likes to tug on his hand to "help" him get up. He asked her if she'd come help pull him up and she said "no, daddy do it self!"

I also agree that even the tantrums are interesting, because I am fascinated by brain development, emotional development, etc, so I can be *relatively* dispassionate (and not personally offended lol) and analytical, and it's REALLY neat watching her progress to more abilities in self-control, like sometimes you see her pout and whimper but she says "oh... kay... " and tries to smile and hold it together, as she is starting to understand delayed gratification and knows intellectually that she'll get what she wants in just a few more minutes, but emotionally she's disappointed that she can't have it now, and you can SEE her little brain working at reconciling those differing aspects and TRYING to stay in control!!

She's also giving running commentary on EVERYTHING she does and sees now, and it's just hilarious. "Oh, I'm running with balloons. Oh, I dropped a balloon. Oh, David laughing. I like David. I like balloons. David funny!"

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#23 of 38 Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 PM

I'm bumping because it's nice to have reminders of how awesome toddlers can be!  I love the new independence my little one has and his funny laugh and enthusiasm for life.  The way he marvels over new discoveries and can play with us in new ways!  

Love, love, love this age!  (He's almost 17 months) joy.gif

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#24 of 38 Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.

What a great thread and good reminder of the awesome world of the toddler! DD is 19 months, and has been officially toddling since she was 10 months, but now the language has exploded as quickly as her running! There isn't anything she can't say or communicate at 19 months! It blows my mind! I love that she has words for what she wants,  "Hummus, please!" or "toothbrush", and EVERYTHING sounds adorable. Just stinking adorable. We try to video her as much as possible so we can capture her baby voice. So cliches, but they grow up so fast!

#25 of 38 Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 PM

I LOVE the emerging voice!  It's like getting to know your own heart in a new way!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#26 of 38 Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 AM

i love toddlers and am not so hot with newborns and babies. 

it's so fun to watch them figure stuff out, and how they are thinking, all the time.

i love the toddler art, watching them try new things, explore sensations, try new words.

it's neat to watch how their memory works, too. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#27 of 38 Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 AM

I love every age so far!  I have a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old.  I love newborns and older babies and toddlers and preschoolers!  I think every age and stage is amazing and wonderful and has so many good things about it.  I think right around 18 months old is a super fun time to watch your child explore.  It's amazing to think of everything that is going through their little heads.

Mama to three

#28 of 38 Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 AM

I absolutely loved the toddler years too. joy.gif Every year we say "this is the best year". (She's almost 9 now)

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#29 of 38 Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM

I adore the sense of humor that emerges!  Today DS (16 months) noticed me sitting on the base of his little slide.  He "snuck" up behind and slid down into me giggling the whole time...we played that game for 1/2 an hour biggrinbounce.gif !  He loves to get us laughing!

#30 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholebreath View Post

I have this attitude for days at a time, while watching DS barrel through life, enjoying every minute of it. And then something will happen and I'll despair at getting through the next few years, and that will last for a few days, and then I'm back to being in awe of him at this stage of development.
So, I guess I'm with you about 45% of the time!

So glad this thread got bumped!  I am exactly the same as this!  But right now we're teething and I'm despairing and feeling like a terrible mother because I'm so worn out.  This thread reminded me of all the fun we have ahead of us, and I really needed that :)

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page