Standing and walking in the tub!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9 month old DD is walking, and has been able to crawl out of the bathtub seat for quite a while, since she was able to stand. She usually just looks over the edge of the tub ( we bathe together). Usually our bathtime consists of me putting her in her seat, then taking a shower myself while she plays a minute, and then showering her off. Last night while I had my eyes closed rinsing the shampoo out of my hair, she stood up, and walked to me! She didn't have her hands to steady her at all. I am afraid she is going to get hurt, but have NO idea how to correct the behavior. I don't like her standing at all, but it's practically impossible to get her to sit. I try to give her toys, bottles, ect. I also sit her back down , but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 05:36 PM

#3 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 05:37 PM

My only suggestion is to buy an anti-slip mat for the bottom of the bath tub. That way, if she does stand up she at least won't slip. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Jaime

#4 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 09:02 PM

I bought the ducky and froggy safety stickers at Toys R Us (I'm sure they have them other places, but I've only seen them there in my area. I covered the bathtub and the shower with them and now I don't worry. But it drove me insane until I figured that out (when ds was about 3 years and dd was 1 year : ) I looked around for a link to them but couldn't find one. If I do find one, I'll post again.

Leah
#5 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 09:12 PM

Well, to be honest, this is why I stopped bringing ds into the shower with me. He would always stand up and try to walk around, and it made me crazy with worry.

When he tried to standup in the bathup, dh (who does the baths) is good about always making sure that he knows he has to sit down so he doesn't get hurt.
#6 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 09:22 PM

I let DD stand up in the tub, but encourage sitting - however I'm usually in there with her. I got an extra large mat for inside the tub and a spout cover. She's never alone, so I don't think it's a big deal...and it was too huge a struggle to get her to sit at that age...now she mostly sits. We went through one 2-week bath hating phase so I have no interest in repeating it. My sis who showers is equally paranoid about the standing up thing, so it must be part of the showering, that you feel too far away to get her. Maybe you need to bathe seperately so you can pay 100% attention to her- how about outside the shower toys while you're in the shower?

How about evening showering so DH can watch her while you get clean? I for one don't feel dirty in the morning after I've washed my face and brushed my teeth, and I use a spray bottle of water when I used to have to style my hair. I can't imagine crawling into a clean bed with the whole day's grunge on me generally...so morning showerers have always confused me, personally. As a somewhat off-topic rant.
#7 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 10:44 PM

I had this same worry with my ds - at 19 months. I wondered if I should make sitting in the tub an "absolute" rule (like brushing teeth or car seat) but decided no. I take showers with him too so I figure he sees me stand and wants to do the same thing. So I let him stand while I shower - although I know how it feels to try to rinse soap out of your hair with one eye open!! : )

Anyway, I decided that if I am showering and the tub is empty of water, it is okay. If he is in the tub by himself with it full of water, then I repeat, "on your bottom" or I ask if he wants to get out or play. Usually he says play and will sit down. If he doesn't, he knows I'll take him out.

Anyway, it seems to work now. I just wanted to make sure not to turn it into a big battle.

I know your dd is much younger... good luck! Oh - also - if it has become really difficult, maybe try a water sling. I used one for awhile with ds - it was nice.
#8 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 10:49 PM

How's this for weird...I think she slips LESS in a tub full of water because it helps blance her...an empty wet tub/shower, she slips MORE.
#9 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 11:41 PM

We both sit while soaping up and I pick her up when it's time to rinse. I keep toys and show her to splash so if need be I can sing, "splish splash" and she will splash with her hnads and kick her feet all the while staying seated.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#10 of 13 Old 01-18-2004, 11:46 PM

When I was no longer confident that Elliott would sit when asked, I bought a pair of the mesh water shoes (good for poolside). The soles really steadied him, and they prevented slipping.
#11 of 13 Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's what I did.....

When my DD became old enough to stand and walk in the shower with me, we switched to baths alone for her.

The first time she stood up in the tub, I said "sit down please" and sat her down. She thought this was hilarious. She stood up again. I said "uh, sit down Emily!" and sat her down. We played this game for quite a while that day. I smiled, she laughed. It was not made into a big deal. I encouraged her to think it was a game.

Well, we played that game a few more times and then it just stopped. To this day, she rarely tries to stand in the tub, and when she does I just say "sit down please!" and she sits right back down with a smile!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to DD14 and DS12, both born on MDC.
#12 of 13 Old 01-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

Maybe I am not as good of a mom for this, but we don't make ds sit in the bathtub. We have a bathmat so he doesn't slip, but other than that, we let him do what he wants. He has never fallen and when he has slipped (his stage of crawling in the tub was a little scary) he never really injures himself. I like to think that he knows, within reason, what his body can do or at least is finding out. To be fair, he was a lot older than the OP's dd-12 months before he was walking. And he doesn't like to walk around while I am showering-he hates getting water in his eyes.

Personally, teaching him not to splash water all over the bathroom floor is more important to me than sitting in the tub.
#13 of 13 Old 01-19-2004, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting some good ideas. I have the spout cover, and I need to get a no-slip mat. I also think I will look for some of those shoes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page