Feb 08 Mamas - June is the bringer of light - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teeny, FWIW, I don't think that at this age the throwing a fit thing has much to do with parenting. Some kids are just more fiery than others. Twyla is SO like that. And I'm not parenting her any differently than the others! I just try to look at it positively, and tell myself (and dh) that she'll be a strong-minded woman who knows what she wants and how to get it. Just like her mama.

All the night weaning talk is making me think twice about nursing 8 times a night or more. I know my health is suffering because of the interrupted sleep every night. I am starting to have constant widespread pain again, and this time a headache as well. It just never goes away, and that can't be good. Maybe it's time to start thinking in that direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Teeny-- Part of it is personality, yes, but in my experience behavior and nutrition are DIRECTLY related. BeanBean is an energetic, healthy little boy but when he's anemic everything is a huge tradgedy and he's downright explosive. There's 'spirited' and there's 'Oh my GODS keep that ANIMAL away from my children!!' Those lines are in different places for different kiddos, but it's something to consider. Bear has a much more difficult time of it, but when he becomes physically ill he can throw violent fits-- but he usually remains stationary for them. Bean used to fling things and himself all over the freaking house.

Anemia is fairly common; It could also be another vitamin/mineral deficiency, so have a good, hard look at her diet and yours and see if tweaking a bit doesn't improve her behavior. Bear's much better behavior-wise, too, now that he's on the 30 cal/oz formula. For BeanBean (and myself!), it was Floravital that made the HUGE difference (we need to buy a bottle or two, in fact). Bella's behavior and her entire life improve with the addition of probiotics to her diet, and I'm SO much niftier, more patient and clever with a flax seed oil supplement. I know, it's all over the place.. but look at what, precisely she's doing and see if you can't find a root cause.

This is actually a really great thing to use as a meditation for a ritual, if you're so inclined-- as your favorite appropriate deity to illuminate the path, and see if the answer doesn't just fall into your lap. Your furry little demon will morph back into the beautiful little girl you adore, and you & Mr. Toona will both be happier people.

Nightweaning... deserves a quiet night... : (Sorry, HUGE REM fan here. You'd know that if you played my games on Facebook. ) My thoughts on nightweaning are confused. As you may remember, I'm a CLW parent; I have never nightweaned. I always found nightnursing easier than nursing during the day, especially at this age. BooBah especially was the world's easiest nightnurser-- from birth, she would latch herself on if there was a boob remotely nearby. She learned to lift/open my shirt obscenely early, and was so good at latching on and nursing and passing out that I used to sleep straight through the night and wake up with one boob HUGE and dripping and the other one flat and wrinkly.

Bean and Bella would sort of wake me up, but I'd roll over, pull out the boob, put it in the mouth and go back to sleep. This was only truly difficult a) in the very beginning (both Bean and Bella had trouble latching on initially) and b) when I was pregnant (no milk and tired mamma make BeanBean something something). At 15 months I VASTLY preferred nursing Bean at night because he was so busy and active during the day and was really working on the Rules of the Nursies. At night, he'd just latch on and close his eyes; Both of us went back to sleep.

This is not to make anyone feel badly about nightweaning; I'm just having a hard time understanding why anyone *would* night wean when I always found night nursing to be SO much easier than day nursing. And to offer another perspective, in case someone is saying, "Well it's not that difficult for me, but maybe because of the age I should be thinking about nightweaning?" Well, no-- if you're good, your baby is good, then keep it right up. Just remember to brush their teeth before bed and in the morning.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Grrr, I just lost a huge post. This is going to be a half-assed version, sorry.

teeny, i think you either need to go for it and stick with a night weaning plan of not do it. Going back and forth will make it more difficult over time because she'll keep fighting knowing you'll give up eventually. if she's not ready, give it another month and re-evaluate. you might want to look into Dr. Jay Gordan's method, he's gentle and she may adjust better that way than cold turkey.

sarah lynne, you have so much going on. i hope you start feeling better soon. most meds should be out of your system within 2 weeks so you should be getting close to being done with withdrawl symptoms. they are rough

good points rynna, i have been hugely lacking with my vitamins and fish oil and i can tell a difference. i need to be better about that. i'm a happier person when i use them!

okay, we are having a fussy, whiny day so i better run, my first post took all my time!

i'll try to be back and catch everyone else later

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Teeny-- Part of it is personality, yes, but in my experience behavior and nutrition are DIRECTLY related. BeanBean is an energetic, healthy little boy but when he's anemic everything is a huge tradgedy and he's downright explosive. There's 'spirited' and there's 'Oh my GODS keep that ANIMAL away from my children!!' Those lines are in different places for different kiddos, but it's something to consider. Bear has a much more difficult time of it, but when he becomes physically ill he can throw violent fits-- but he usually remains stationary for them. Bean used to fling things and himself all over the freaking house.

Anemia is fairly common; It could also be another vitamin/mineral deficiency, so have a good, hard look at her diet and yours and see if tweaking a bit doesn't improve her behavior. Bear's much better behavior-wise, too, now that he's on the 30 cal/oz formula. For BeanBean (and myself!), it was Floravital that made the HUGE difference (we need to buy a bottle or two, in fact). Bella's behavior and her entire life improve with the addition of probiotics to her diet, and I'm SO much niftier, more patient and clever with a flax seed oil supplement. I know, it's all over the place.. but look at what, precisely she's doing and see if you can't find a root cause.

This is actually a really great thing to use as a meditation for a ritual, if you're so inclined-- as your favorite appropriate deity to illuminate the path, and see if the answer doesn't just fall into your lap. Your furry little demon will morph back into the beautiful little girl you adore, and you & Mr. Toona will both be happier people.

Nightweaning... deserves a quiet night... : (Sorry, HUGE REM fan here. You'd know that if you played my games on Facebook. ) My thoughts on nightweaning are confused. As you may remember, I'm a CLW parent; I have never nightweaned. I always found nightnursing easier than nursing during the day, especially at this age. BooBah especially was the world's easiest nightnurser-- from birth, she would latch herself on if there was a boob remotely nearby. She learned to lift/open my shirt obscenely early, and was so good at latching on and nursing and passing out that I used to sleep straight through the night and wake up with one boob HUGE and dripping and the other one flat and wrinkly.

Bean and Bella would sort of wake me up, but I'd roll over, pull out the boob, put it in the mouth and go back to sleep. This was only truly difficult a) in the very beginning (both Bean and Bella had trouble latching on initially) and b) when I was pregnant (no milk and tired mamma make BeanBean something something). At 15 months I VASTLY preferred nursing Bean at night because he was so busy and active during the day and was really working on the Rules of the Nursies. At night, he'd just latch on and close his eyes; Both of us went back to sleep.

This is not to make anyone feel badly about nightweaning; I'm just having a hard time understanding why anyone *would* night wean when I always found night nursing to be SO much easier than day nursing. And to offer another perspective, in case someone is saying, "Well it's not that difficult for me, but maybe because of the age I should be thinking about nightweaning?" Well, no-- if you're good, your baby is good, then keep it right up. Just remember to brush their teeth before bed and in the morning.
Rynna you are just the bee's knees best

So since you are Miss Information what pregnancy safe supplement would you recommend for me to keep my stress level down because I'm already feeling high strung. Rescue Remedy here is $$ which is what my midwife suggested, but I'm looking for something to help fight it at its source (in conjunction with my counseling) instead of just masking the symptoms ya know?

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 06-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the night weaning info, Emily! That was really interesting. Our girls are pretty much night weaned, but they need me to go to bed. Tonight will be the second night of their lives that grandparents put them to bed while DH and I are off at a concert (the Decemberists at an outdoor arena, should be a blast if it doesn't storm.) My parents are great with my girls, and take care of them while I work. So I hope everybody will be good, but you know, I worry about them.

Helen, another Lush fan here! Before they came to the US, I had a fantasy of opening up a franchise, but when I wrote them about it, they had already had 2500 requests and still weren't doing it. Would have loved to work there!

SL, hope you're feeling better, and is it bad if I hope your new baby is a girl? I think you could use someone understanding around the house . . .

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 06-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Rynna you are just the bee's knees best

So since you are Miss Information what pregnancy safe supplement would you recommend for me to keep my stress level down because I'm already feeling high strung. Rescue Remedy here is $$ which is what my midwife suggested, but I'm looking for something to help fight it at its source (in conjunction with my counseling) instead of just masking the symptoms ya know?
Why thank you. I don't actually know all that much I don't think, I've just been doing this for longer than you have. As far as your stress level: Omega fatty acids are VERY important, and something many, many folks with depression/stress/anxiety issues should be supplementing. I prefer flax seed oil capsules when I'm pregnant because I'm absolutely paranoid about food allergies, but I'm told that fish oil is more effective; The choice would be yours. It's much more effective than Rescue Remedy in my opinion, though-- it's the difference between prevention/cure and temporary treatment. Fatty acid supplements can be VERY affordable, too. Check out Vitacost for some real deals.

I know I'm always harping on about anemia, but IT HAPPENS. Anemia is VERY freaking common, particularly in certain subgroups-- pregnant women, women who are breastfeeding and menstruating, women in general between the ages of 11 and 40, vegetarians/vegans, individuals with random blood disorders that show up A LOT more often than most people believe.. In any case, have your iron levels checked, PLEASE. If you're not the sort to have this done at the doctor's office, you can buy a home test kid. Seriously! There are many ways to supplement your iron as well; My favorite cheap way is what we call "kids coffee." A tablespoon or two of blackstrap molasses in hot/warm water= yummy, easy on the tummy iron supplementation. I bought a gallon of blackstrap molasses for $5.70 a few years ago and we're still using it. When we have more cash, I get Floravital (Vitacost has the best prices on this that I've seen) but my understanding is that it works very very well for some people (myself included) and not at all for others (the minority).

Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Why thank you. I don't actually know all that much I don't think, I've just been doing this for longer than you have. As far as your stress level: Omega fatty acids are VERY important, and something many, many folks with depression/stress/anxiety issues should be supplementing. I prefer flax seed oil capsules when I'm pregnant because I'm absolutely paranoid about food allergies, but I'm told that fish oil is more effective; The choice would be yours. It's much more effective than Rescue Remedy in my opinion, though-- it's the difference between prevention/cure and temporary treatment. Fatty acid supplements can be VERY affordable, too. Check out Vitacost for some real deals.

I know I'm always harping on about anemia, but IT HAPPENS. Anemia is VERY freaking common, particularly in certain subgroups-- pregnant women, women who are breastfeeding and menstruating, women in general between the ages of 11 and 40, vegetarians/vegans, individuals with random blood disorders that show up A LOT more often than most people believe.. In any case, have your iron levels checked, PLEASE. If you're not the sort to have this done at the doctor's office, you can buy a home test kid. Seriously! There are many ways to supplement your iron as well; My favorite cheap way is what we call "kids coffee." A tablespoon or two of blackstrap molasses in hot/warm water= yummy, easy on the tummy iron supplementation. I bought a gallon of blackstrap molasses for $5.70 a few years ago and we're still using it. When we have more cash, I get Floravital (Vitacost has the best prices on this that I've seen) but my understanding is that it works very very well for some people (myself included) and not at all for others (the minority).
Thanks Momma They checked my iron back when I had my yearly visit in January. They also checked my cholesterol and all that fun jazz.

I'm gonna check into the Omega Fatty acids

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Momma They checked my iron back when I had my yearly visit in January. They also checked my cholesterol and all that fun jazz.
Yeah, it needs to be done WAY more often than that. Like every other month if you're normal. Your hemoglobin in January is entirely unrelated to your hemoglobin in June. When I was hospitalized after Bear was born, my iron was low enough that I was transfused twice; Six months later I was spectacularly healthy and my iron was fine. It's nothing like stable, unless you're on top of it all the time.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it needs to be done WAY more often than that. Like every other month if you're normal. Your hemoglobin in January is entirely unrelated to your hemoglobin in June. When I was hospitalized after Bear was born, my iron was low enough that I was transfused twice; Six months later I was spectacularly healthy and my iron was fine. It's nothing like stable, unless you're on top of it all the time.
Thats interesting to hear! So where do I get the at home checker thing?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna check into the Omega Fatty acids
my recommendation would be Green Pasture's fermented cod liver oil. it is the only one that doesn't have artificial vitamins added back in and it's made in the us. it's big on the traditional foods board here. also, i've tried others (nordic naturals and carlson's) and i noticed NO difference in my personality.

this stuff is AMAZING and it's good for brain and eye development of your babe and depression. seriously, as soon as i skip a day or two i start getting crabby and irritated at little things, i forgot yesterday and i've already snapped twice today.

it's pricey, i can't afford it at cost so i always get it on sale, i know a group that has it for 28.50 per 118 doses. it's usually 44.00 let me know if you want info. oh! plus lazlo will take it plain and linnaea will but prefers it with a bit of watered down juice.

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Thats interesting to hear! So where do I get the at home checker thing?
Any reasonably-stocked drugstore.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Any reasonably-stocked drugstore.
Tankie Tankie Rynna babe

Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
This is not to make anyone feel badly about nightweaning; I'm just having a hard time understanding why anyone *would* night wean when I always found night nursing to be SO much easier than day nursing.
well, for us, i can't go back to sleep until i'm sure the kiddo is out, it was the same with lazlo. so i can lie there and wait and wait and wait.... while she dozes but wakes if i pull the nipple out. it sucks to be up for an hour while she's half-asleep and i end up getting angry. so, it's easier in that i'm lying down but i'd much prefer to nurse during the day (that's how i get my computer time, yo ) than lay there getting pissed off because she will not let go of the nipple to sleep.

that being said, if the dental issues weren't there i wouldn't even be thinking about it yet. i know it's not supposed to matter but i know lazlo's cavities stopped getting bigger once we night-weaned.

and sarah lynne- the clo is on sale from their website for 29.00 but i bet their shipping will be more than the group's.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
my recommendation would be Green Pasture's fermented cod liver oil. it is the only one that doesn't have artificial vitamins added back in and it's made in the us. it's big on the traditional foods board here. also, i've tried others (nordic naturals and carlson's) and i noticed NO difference in my personality.

this stuff is AMAZING and it's good for brain and eye development of your babe and depression. seriously, as soon as i skip a day or two i start getting crabby and irritated at little things, i forgot yesterday and i've already snapped twice today.

it's pricey, i can't afford it at cost so i always get it on sale, i know a group that has it for 28.50 per 118 doses. it's usually 44.00 let me know if you want info. oh! plus lazlo will take it plain and linnaea will but prefers it with a bit of watered down juice.
At first I thought there's no way I could afford that...and then I realized that my Celexa was 8.00-10.00/month for the prescription (thats with my prescription plan I could only imagine how much it cost without!) 118 doses is almost 4 months of doses and that would make it around 11.00/month (and 7.10/month with that group price.) So not really any different just an upfront cost.

I guess I could tell DH if he wants his Whey Protein Shakes than I have to get that LOL

PM the info!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Dea

Carrie...
You mentioned fermented CLO. Everyone talks about it. The thought of it makes me want to puke.
you say fermented CLO, I say rotten fish.

I blame Leftie for this assumption.

Also we're checking for a Leftie tomorrow. I hope he's still there. Poor little guy he's been blamed for a lot of stuff lately. I guess poor Rightie also, she's never blamed. And I've totally assigned them genders. I wonder if I'm right?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 06-09-2009, 04:37 AM

I hope everything's OK, Dea.

The pregnancy epidemic continues: Rajahkat's expecting too. I reckon there's one, maybe two more to go.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Carrie...
You mentioned fermented CLO. Everyone talks about it. The thought of it makes me want to puke.

Also we're checking for a Leftie tomorrow. I hope he's still there. Poor little guy he's been blamed for a lot of stuff lately. I guess poor Rightie also, she's never blamed. And I've totally assigned them genders. I wonder if I'm right?

ha!! i'm a mostly vegetarian who sometimes lapses with bacon, i can barely stand the thought of cod liver oil and i tell you what, this stuff tastes nothing like fish. tuna from a can is fishier. i plug my nose, shoot it to the back of my mouth with the syringe, chase with grape juice or strawberry juice, breath and..... nothing. it's like a vague licorice flavour.

it's almost eerie really. and i was horribly paranoid before i tried it.

yay leftie! i've got my fingers crossed, my friend with twins is an amazing mom and her boys are SO cute together. when they started walking the one brother started first and he would wait for the crawling brother to catch up!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
The pregnancy epidemic continues: Rajahkat's expecting too. I reckon there's one, maybe two more to go.
not it! not it! not it!

i'm actually starting to really like the idea of two. it feels nice to be moving away from that baby stuff and towards my life after kidlets. kinda like rynna with the last baby in diapers etc. which is good really because i've been totally wanting numebr three and it's just not realistic with our situation.

i start my job tomorrow must go to sleep!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
not it! not it! not it!

i'm actually starting to really like the idea of two. it feels nice to be moving away from that baby stuff and towards my life after kidlets. kinda like rynna with the last baby in diapers etc. which is good really because i've been totally wanting numebr three and it's just not realistic with our situation.

i start my job tomorrow must go to sleep!
NOT IT!! :

Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 AM

I just want to remind you ladies that the minute you start to feel safe in the amount of children you have is the exact same minute it happens.

That's what happened to me.

Now I'm all rainbows and warm fuzzies over the thought of buying maternity clothes, watching my belly get big, feeling the baby, buying clothes for baby....etc. It sucks you into a vortex. :

Beware.......Beeeeewwaaaaaare.....

Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I just want to remind you ladies that the minute you start to feel safe in the amount of children you have is the exact same minute it happens.

That's what happened to me.
No really. I'm good, thanks.

Quote:
Now I'm all rainbows and warm fuzzies over the thought of buying maternity clothes, watching my belly get big, feeling the baby, buying clothes for baby....etc. It sucks you into a vortex. :

Beware.......Beeeeewwaaaaaare.....
I've done it four times. That's nice. But really, I'm good, thanks.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 AM

LOL

My senior Title should be
"Beware of the Baby Vortex"

Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah...also NOT IT!!!

Though Helen is giving me nightmares with her eerily correct predictions....I am in the same boat as you, Carrie...looking daily at my little family, and feeling strongly like this is what it is meant to be.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Carrie...

We're all pulling for leftie and rightie too! : LOL about the assigned genders, I bet I'd be doing that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I hope everything's OK, Dea.

I can say with confidence, as AF arrived Sat, NOT I!!

I meant to quote Carrie and ditto all the fermented CLO stuff. I wish they had an unflavored variety, but it's really not so bad. The dosages are in the mL so it's a very small amount, and just knock it back like you're doing a shot. Course Nara always wants some, so I give her some (straight), she seems to like it, but she's a wierd one for what she likes to eat. (thankfully, because it's one of those thigns that would be hard to get into her otherwise).

Thanks all on the nightweaning and toddler fits advice. One of the reasons I'm so wishy-washy on nightweaning is that I'm gone all day at work, so that's the only time she has unrestricted access to nursing. The other one is that whenever we try to limit night nursing, I just cannot stand her screaming and crying. We've tried Jay Gordon's method. In fact that's the only one we've tried. We do it for one night and decide it's too hard (on all of us) and take a break and then a month later try it again for one night and then stop. A few weeks ago, of her own doing, she was sleeping very well most of the night in her own bed (barely any nursing) and now that's changed (thanks to teething I suppose). But I'm feeling better, and not feeling so entirely sleep deprived, so it's easier on me these days. She does at least start off the night in the crib these days, which gives us a little time. Though somehow she always knows the exact *right moment* to wake up and "interruptus" us. IYKWIM. Sheesh. He's been snipped already kid, as far as we're concerned, don't worry, you WILL be the youngest!

signature currently in transition
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Dea

I had another ultrasound today and it is the same outcome as last week. I go in for another in 2 weeks.
Sometimes we could see something in the sac and other times we couldn't. I swear I saw a pixle fluttering, but I am sure I was making it up. I feel like I need to prepare myself that I've lost that baby. I DO NOT want to hear people remind me that I still have one healthy baby in there, which I understand, but there was a baby, or there should have been and now there's not. I don't think I can bear someone tell me that I'm wrong to be sad.
GRRRRR!
The doctor did say that twins are hard to see and it can take time. I have little hope though. I can't bear to have any more crushes to my soul, ya know? The way I see it, if I move on and there are 2 then it will be a great surprise.
Also Trixie's carseat has been recalled. DAMN! And I have no appetite so consoling myself in icecream won't help. Suffice to say I am rather pissy today.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 AM

Oh Dea, ...I've been thinking about you all day.
First of all, I think it's right to acknowledge that it really is too early to be getting great views of twins. I'm glad your prepared for the worst, but there could still be really good news in 2 weeks.
And second of all, you are absolutely right...anyone who dared to say something as horrid as "well, you still have one baby" would be INCREDIBLY insensitive, rude, awful and out-of-line. Your baby is in there, and if he doesn't make it for some reason, it will be heart-breaking. . I'll be sending you every sticky baby vibe I can muster for the next 2 weeks!!:
Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 AM

Oh, Dea. :

Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 AM

SL tells the truth, Emily

Dea For me, part of me is glad that we found out about my twins when we did (when I miscarried twin 2 the day after finishing my miscarriage with twin 1) It's OK to grieve. It's OK to be happy. It's OK to be hopeful. It's OK to be despondent. AND IT'S OK TO KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT FOR AS LONG AS YOU NEED TO. What I will say, though, is that I am very glad that rightie is behaving herself and not giving you additional cause to worry.
Seriously, we've done the first part of the journey with you,and I know you have your new DDC but we're still here for you. OK?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 AM

For Dea

I'm still not giving up hope for you and will make sure I prayer extra long and loud ok?

Babyweight is already starting....Only 1-2 lbs, but I'm a little bummed. I did have some ice cream and 2 cupcakes over this last few days as well as some buffalo wings from Wendy's (they were not that great and I didn't finish them.) So we'll just make sure I'm a little tighter with my reins and hope for the best!!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Cough, cough, water retention, cough, cough. Put the scales and the cupcakes away for a month. Cough.

User Tag List