When do you transition out of high chair to kids table? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a beautiful wooden child/ play table that DH built with 2 chairs. DD (23 months) really wants to eat at it. We have tried a few times in the past andit just didnt work.

Tried again today and it really didnt work. She would not stay in her seat, she barely ate anything, she was up and down getting toys and dolls to feed and all kinds of things.

Finally i said either youre done or you sit down, she wouldnt stay in her seat so she was all done, huge tantrum of course, I gave her the option of eating in her high chair if she was still hungry, she wasnt.

Everything is a huge tanrtum these days those....

It was just such a mess, We ate rice and tofu and chard, rice sticking everywhere, sauce everywhere. Thank god I have 2 dogs haha

Sitting in the high chair is a huge fight though too.

When did you transition?
#2 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM

We switched to a booster between. That way he could eat on the table and feel like a "big kid". Worked for us.

Good luck!

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#3 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

DS' still in his sassy seat at the table with us. I've been thinking about getting a booster seat for him, but haven't done so yet. Our house is way too small for a dedicated "kids table".
#4 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM

I think she's just excited about her new table, and you should let her enjoy it! Let her stand, run by to grab a bite, whatever - but I say that knowing that's how all of my toddlers ate and currently eat. We don't have a "sit here for 30 minutes it's mealtime" schedule in our house - everyone eats at their own pace.

That being said, I have a toddler table but we don't use it for meals. Like the PPs, we skipped the highchair altogether and have a booster. The babes sit at the table with us, whenever we are actually sitting there!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#5 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When they start fighting the high chair. Somewhere between 18 months and 2; different with each child. Then they went to a step chair (style no longer made by Cosco. They still make other styles). And to a dining chair when they outgrew the step chair. I'd transistion your dd to the table with you and your dh. Get a step chair or a booster seat. Have her eat at the table like a "big" person. Keep the child's table and chairs for snack time and play time--coloring, crafts, etc.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM

DD is still young - 16 mos - but we use the high chair at the table, without the tray. Saves the step as a booster. All of her cousins do snacktime at the little people table, and meals at the big people table.
#7 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 PM

We just use the booster- our kid's table is in DS's room. We've been using the booster for almost a year now. DS loves to sit at the table with us and eat. Our good friend's have a kid's table in their house and he likes to eat off that when we go over there- he's been doing that since last fall. Sometimes he'll get up and roam around, but when he's hungry he isn't moving.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#8 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 02:05 PM

DD started eating her snacks at her little table when she was 11 months. She's never had a highchair, only a booster, which she has to sit in at meals. There's no way she'd eat a whole meal at her table! She has a pretty short attention span though (19 months) so I'm happy she'll even sit long enough to have her snacks.

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#9 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM

DS started eating snacks at his children's table at 14 mos. We do only relative neat foods there - dry cereals, grape quarters, dry pancakes - and a sippy cup.

We're transitioning him to eat at the dining table in the high chair (FP space saving chair that sits on a regular dining room chair) without the tray. It's still very messy, so we do that only with neater foods. Rice, curry, pasta with red sauce...these are all still eaten in the regular high chair with the tray.

We probably won't use the children's table for meals, except perhaps when he has a friend over to share it. We don't like him running around with food.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM

In our house, the play table is for playing, not for eating. We may occasionally use it for meal when we have other kids over, and we have the same "play while eating" behavior as your DD . Otherwise, everyone eats at the same table during meal time, including my 22mo. Once DD1 almost chocked when jumping around when eating carrot, that's why we're rather strict about this.

My DDs are never keen on high chairs: they ate from our laps when young, then transit to booster chair directly. DD2 accepts it sometimes when she was 12-20m but not anymore. They can leave when they're done, but they have to finish swallowing what they were chewing on. And no, we can't have the kids sit down and eat for longer than 10 minutes either!
#11 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM

We transitioned ds to his own little table and chair at 13 months. Yeah, sometimes he doesn't sit as long as I'd like, but for us it was more important to respect his growing need for independence and mastery of new skills. Right now he has the responsibility to bring his own cup (not a sippy)to the table at mealtime. When he spills, we clean it up together. He's much happier than he was in his highchair.

Kelly, wife to my wonderful DH , and mom to DS1 born 1/20/2008 and DS2 born 7/14/2010 by VBAC.
#12 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM

I'll say after 12 months and before 24 - each child has decided on thier own.

Ds2 is 21 months and is making the transition from high chair at the table (not a tray) to kooshie booster. The only problem we are having is not enough chairs to go around and dd3 doesn't want to use the high chair. :

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#13 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM

we have a tripp trapp high chair at the table for eating...and she won't grow out of that for many years, but she also has a tiny table for little kids, with two chairs that she loves to play at. i can't imagine trying to get dd to sit at that fun table long enough to eat anything...maybe try a booster seat if she is not big enough for a regular chair but does not want to use her high chair?

Katie
#14 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 PM

I'll be the outlier. My almost 3 year old is still in a high chair. He doesn't fight it, doesn't seem to mind it, and it offers a lot of peace at meal time. If he's in another chair, it's up and down, up and down, and no real food is eaten. He survives mostly on air anyway, so I like him to eat. If he doesn't eat his normal bird-size portions, then he gets cranky, cranky, cranky. The high chair ensures the bird size portions are eaten.

Now, if he was fighting the chair or otherwise unhappy, we'd revisit it. As it is, this works for us.
#15 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
Get a step chair or a booster seat. Have her eat at the table like a "big" person. Keep the child's table and chairs for snack time and play time--coloring, crafts, etc.
Agree with this. It doesn't work for us to have DD eat at her table since it is usually her play table. She does have snacks there occasionally.
For meals, food stays on the table and we have a kaboost (under the chair booster) so she can get up and down and come and go as she wishes.

We switched her at about 20 months mainly because she was rocking her highchair (the kind that sits on a regular chair) and it wasn't safe. She can't rock the chair now that it has the kaboost on it.

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#16 of 21 Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmoma View Post
In our house, the play table is for playing, not for eating.
This is how it works at our house. DD's play table is in her room. She uses a booster seat at our dining room table, where we all eat together each night. I think it's too tough at this age to expect a 2 YO to sit quietly at their little table. They just want to play!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#17 of 21 Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm just uncomfortable with a separate kid's table in general. Even at holiday get togethers with the extended family, we've never had a kid's table. Mealtime is family time. When we use a high chair, it's right there at the table. And the child in the high chair is included in the family meal. Babies too young for a high chair are held.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#18 of 21 Old 06-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sometimes he doesn't sit as long as I'd like, but for us it was more important to respect his growing need for independence and mastery of new skills.
:

If she's bringing dolls to the table to feed them, that's GREAT, IMO. She understands what's "supposed" to be happening even if she can't quite do it herself yet (ie, sit and eat, focused-like) and this kind of imaginative play is EXACTLY how they "practice" these skills.

I'm of two minds about the "kids table" issue. I think that a kid-sized table that respects their independence and abilities (and size!) is great. But I also think that being part of the family table is great. Besides which, it helps for them to be able to observe the adults' table behaviour in order to imitate and emulate it.

We have several kid-sized tables around the house and she will sometimes eat snacks at them, and uses them for drawing, playing, etc. But at the dinner table she just sits in the regular chair. We gave up the high chair around15-16mo and in hindsight might have gave it up even sooner. We used a booster for a few months but it was very quickly, just as easy to simply let her sit in the big chair on her own. She gets up and down on her own, gets her own water from the fridge, gets her own dishes and cutlery, she actually has great table manners (for a 2yo heh), cleans up her spills, uses her napkin, etc etc.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#19 of 21 Old 06-21-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

this has become so normal to me that i forgot to even mention it haha

We dont have a dinning room table, dd's play tabl and chairs, next to her play kitchen in our dinning room ARE our dinning room set haha

We have a bar and stools in the kitchen, but we never really use it. So I bring my food and eat with her at her play table, we put on a special table cloth that we take off after the meal. Well we've only done it once now haha

Went back to the high chair. We have a svan, and I eat at the bar so its kind of like in the high chair she is at the table.

I guess its a good idea to do snacks at her table, not messy stuff. Maybe I will try to take the tray off the high chair. She also has a learning tower and i've tried to have her eat in that but it just doesnt work for messy things like rice and sauce or pasta, soup things like that. She;s not a big meal eater anyway though, more of a snacker
#20 of 21 Old 06-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Dea

We never had a highchair. We have a tripp trap, and we got it when DD was 12 mos. Before then she sat in the bumbo on the table and ate with us. We make a habit of always eating meals at the table, and I let her pick at what she wants. She really likes being up with us. I agree with eating at the table and using the toddler table for snacks and play.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#21 of 21 Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM

Put a tarp under the whole thing and let her play with the table until it's comfortable and a habit.

Toddlers graze. They've got tiny stomachs and 3 meals a day isn't the best thing for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page