kid leashes - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
in brief, i think car seats and leashes are two different topics. And obviously the law does too, which is why seat belts are madatory, and leashes are not.
Just wait a few years!! Remember when car seats weren't mandatory, bike helmets weren't mandatory. It's only a matter of time before helmets are required while skiing. Next thing you know, it will be leashes.

We live in a society where, more and more, people are not allowed to take responsibility for their own safety. Probably because if they hurt themselves they're always looking for someone to sue.

That being said, of course I think car seats are a good thing.
#92 of 105 Old 02-03-2004, 08:56 PM

Can I just take a moment to say I hate the frickin' One Step Ahead catalouge???? Hate it!!! It's a bunch of useless plastic gimmicks for overconsumeristic people! Ha!

That said,

No, I would not use a leash. I hate to use em on my dog, but I see people who do. I let my dog jump into the car & run free in the woods when we get there.

As for my babies, I'm preferring the teaching them about dangers approach. Holding hands, actual human contact. That sort of silly thing. Repeating, here comes a car, look right and left, hold your brother's hand...

Who needs antiseptic place mats and frickin microwave sterilizers or maybe a frickin 'head support' with a hole cut in it to 'guard against flattening of the head' UGH!!! PUH-LEEZE!!!! If we stopped focusing on the gadgets we 'need' (leaving our kids to go work for those gadgets), simplified our lives by consuming less, spending time rather than money. I know this is a little off topic from the simple leashing of a child, but it's that deeper message of using external gadgets to do what we as humans are all capable of --- if we want to expend the effort. Or we could all turn into a bunch of drooling consumers with portable audio/video monitors. Personally, the only thing I need to raise my babies is a boob & some patience & time...keep your locking cabinet devices, pacifier sprays, & juice box houses (yes, actual containers for juice boxes so they don't get squeezed)

Live simply so that others may simply live.
#93 of 105 Old 02-04-2004, 01:10 AM

Quote:
but it's that deeper message of using external gadgets to do what we as humans are all capable of --- if we want to expend the effort. Or we could all turn into a bunch of drooling consumers with portable audio/video monitors. Personally, the only thing I need to raise my babies is a boob & some patience & time...keep your locking cabinet devices, pacifier sprays, & juice box houses (yes, actual containers for juice boxes so they don't get squeezed)
Mama, YOU ROCK!!! I couldn't agree more

Laurie

#94 of 105 Old 02-04-2004, 02:06 AM

I thought of this thread on Saturday as I took dds to the pet shop - we have a big one nearby which they love to visit, all sorts of cool animals to see, and this weekend they were doing an Adopt a Cat or Dog thing, so there were all sorts of pets to fuss over.

Anyway, dd # 2 at 18 months is a nightmare usually in there, I can't go without dh to help out as she runs off and I"m terrified of losing her. The store opens out onto a very busy road, and she could be out in a flash. She's fast. :

If I hadn't had the harness, she'd have had to go in the stroller. The sling is a joke now, she hates it, and won't be held. She also hates holding hands, so that's out. Backpack? With this child, don't make me laugh. She has to walk everywhere. I mean, everywhere. If I just had one kid, that would be fine, but I physically can't follow a 3 year old and chase her around a pet shop in a crowd.

So, if she'd been in a stroller, she'd have been able to see just the animals at her eye level, and would have become bored and frustrated, and probably started climbing out and yelling. The solution? A harness.

So, we had a great time, she loved every minute, and thought it was great that she had a harness just like the dogs and some of the kitties.

Treating her like a dog? Nope. Like an 18 month old who wants to walk, to look at animals, to be lifted up to look in tanks, over cages, and to reach into pens.

Mountain, as for expending effort, it takes more effort to run with a toddler on a harness than it does to stroll around with her, with the stroller holding a Starbucks coffee. I just don't see how a simple set of straps is a 'gimmick for overconsumeristic people'. To me, it's quite a simple item that contributes to simple living. Much less expensive than even a half decent sling or backpack, and in my children's cases, far more useful. I can go out with that in my bag, and if I need it, I use it. If not, great. But I don't live somewhere either where I could let my dog run free, there are no woods here, and so maybe my lifestyle needs to be different.
#95 of 105 Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mountain
.keep your locking cabinet devices, pacifier sprays, & juice box houses (yes, actual containers for juice boxes so they don't get squeezed)

[/B]
Have to say, I agree with most of this, but I love those juice-box houses! We watch my daughter and remind her every 2 minutes that if she squeezes the box, her juice will spill...all over our new couch, new carpet, new rug, ack! I've been cleaning up apple juice for the past 6 months. Now she can hold her juice in that house thingy and just drink it, without grabbing it too hard and making juice spray out the top!

And we do have a cabinet lock on the knife drawer, the door with cleaners/bleach in it, and the one with dangerous kitchen implements. I do keep my eye on her in the kitchen, but if I'm tired or unaware for even a minute, I don't want her to get hurt.
#96 of 105 Old 02-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the implication that you are lazy or don't watch your child if you use some safety devices to keep your child safe. I guess I'm lazy because I put a gate at the top of our steep hard stairs that land on tile floors. I guess I'm lazy because I use a carseat - really, shouldn't I be walking to the store? I mean, why put your child in such a dangerous situation as getting into a moving vehicle? Of course, walking down busy city boulevards with toddler not in a stroller, leash, backpack or sling, just holding my hand happily while soaking in all the amazing information I give him about safety along the way.

And by the way, it is irresponsible to let your dog run around without a leash. I don't care how wonderful your dog is, I don't like dogs coming up and sticking their loving noses in my unleashed toddler's face.

Quote:
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Yeah, I can really see how someone using a leash for their toddler interferes with you being able to simply live. :

Quote:
but if I'm tired or unaware for even a minute, I don't want her to get hurt.
I believe this is exactly the reason some parents here have given for using a harness with their active sprinting toddlers.
#97 of 105 Old 02-04-2004, 01:26 PM

I have been jumping in and out of this thread, reading...

I consider myself to be pretty AP. However, in 2 weeks we will be in Disney World in FLA. There is NO WAY I will be able to keep my 16 month toddler in his stroller, or in his Ergo, all day! He is going to want to walk, see, run, explore...and while DH and I are very attentive, I will not risk the split second that he or I turn our heads...only to have him run off or be snached.

I went and got a harness. Wether or not I ever use it when we get home, I have no idea.

So, to the OP, I do think that under the right circumstances, they are OK. We all do what we feel is best and works for each of us.

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#98 of 105 Old 02-04-2004, 08:28 PM

I agree with mountain about the overcomsumtion aspect.

I had dogs when I grew up in Fort St. John B.C.(look it up on a map) The truth is that my dad or mom would always tie the dog up to a running line ?(don't know what it's called exactly) when we were gone or at night. The dogs did not run all over the neighborhood. Everyone had dogs up there. Our dogs were always "good dogs" and would stay on the property unless one of us would go to the neighbours or something. We never had dogs that bit, and I think that has to do with the way they were treated.

I guess if you're from the city, it's hard to understand the way country people do things.
#99 of 105 Old 02-07-2004, 07:44 AM

We have never used them with any of my four kids and may not ever but since having TWINS I have definately stopped being so judgemental about them.

I also used to get irritated at women who strolled their babies around rather than carrying them. After all I held my 1st dd in my arms all the time. And when my second ds came along, I got a sling so that I could hold my older dd's hand easily. When I twins came, I got a double stroller and those bucket-type car seats that I said i'd never use. I also bought exersaucers and gasp...swings. We had just moved to a new city, no family or friends here, no money to hire help and dh in school ft and working ft. I NEEDED GADGETS!!!!

Anyway, a lot of twin moms use them and it has made me think twice about judging other mamas. We just don't know their circumstances.

I hope we never have to use them but if we did, I would trust that my heart for my kids is more important that using harnesses/sling-as-a-harness for a period of time. Kerlowyn's comment about disneyworld really made me think.

I haven't read the previous pages so if I am missing something, please forgive me. I'll catch up later...
#100 of 105 Old 02-07-2004, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mountain
Personally, the only thing I need to raise my babies is a boob & some patience & time...keep your locking cabinet devices, pacifier sprays, & juice box houses (yes, actual containers for juice boxes so they don't get squeezed)

Live simply so that others may simply live. [/B]
I also *NEED* very little to raise my child but there are things that help a great deal(and I don’t use much but I would pay $1,000 for my sling…my most prized gadget). I try not to begrudge parents of the tools that help them because I wouldn’t want that turned on me, kwim.

Mountain, are you suggesting that you ONLY use what you *NEED*? Do you use diapers or a sling, any tools at all? I can see how your logic could be applied to many, “gadgets” or devices that parents use but don't absolutely need but I don’t see how it is a very beneficial thing to say.

But I do agree with you about our consumer focus, which seems to become even more challenging when we have children. It really bothers me that we are prey for the retailers because we love and want to do the absolute best for our children. I feel very taken advantage of in that respect and I resent having to be on such high “consumer” alert.

However, is a leap to suggest that anyone who would consider a harness is trapped by consumerism. Have you posted your concerns for this “deeper” issue on the 5,000 diaper, sling, food consumer threads?

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#101 of 105 Old 02-07-2004, 08:55 AM

whoops, sorry.
#102 of 105 Old 02-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Banned

I'll second what hotmamacita said. I never dreamed I would consider leashes, but with twins I'm not sure. I'll have to see how it goes.
#103 of 105 Old 02-07-2004, 01:08 PM

nak
Mountain, ITA about putting a stop to rampant consumerism. Geeze, it's crept into the AP world, too, where some of us (inc. me : ) have given into the notion that we "need" 5 different slings (or more!) and 50,000 cloth diapers . . .Thankfully, my DH's unemployment and some FlyLady reading have helped me curb that attitude. (I wasn't actually buying much, but I was really into window shopping!)

However, I do think certain gadgets are actually useful tools. The tools that are necessary for one family may be completely useless for another, but I don't think any of us are so all-knowing that we could possibly imagine or understand everyone's situation.

FTR, I have never used a leash on my daughter, but when you mentioned simply holding a child's hand, I had to LOL . . .if only it were that simple, I'd be thrilled. My DD shrieks when I do this and tries to run away more. I then have to restrain her physically with my arms. The sling helps, but when it doesn't (I think it's too confining for her) she prefers the stroller. I don't feel so AP that way, but then I remind myself that AP philosophy is about meeting a child's needs and that's what I'm doing.

And regarding leashes for dogs . . . I live in Chicago. We don't have woods here that I can legally let my dog run around in w/o a leash. A dog without a leash here is illegal, and for good reason (the dog's safety as well as others' safety). I used to own a fox terrier and there was NO way he'd stay alive off leash or even come back to me. See how situations can be so drastically different?

I do agree with your overall message, but like I said-- until (as if!) I become all-knowing, I'm going to refrain from judging what another person needs.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#104 of 105 Old 02-07-2004, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeping queen
I'll second what hotmamacita said. I never dreamed I would consider leashes, but with twins I'm not sure. I'll have to see how it goes.
Oh my SQ. We just agreed! (flashing lights, sirens, hooplah)

#105 of 105 Old 02-11-2004, 01:01 AM

We have a Maya Wrap that we use as a "leash" sometimes. My ds hates to be held when we are out. And if we set him down he takes off. And then he screams if we try to pick him up or hold on to him in any way. Well he loved the Maya Wrap. He thinks it is a game. And he lets us put it on him. And then he proudly (and more calmly ) walks around. He thinks he is pulling us. He is so cute.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page