Help...my 2 yo ds has just swallowed a bottle of arnica tabs. They are 30x and there were about 300 tablets. I do not know if this is serious or not. Any advice appreciated.
Overdose of arnica extract has resulted in poisoning, with toxic symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and hemorrhage, even death
seriously. get off the internet and take your baby to the hospital.
Arnica extract and Arnica homeopathic ARE NOT the same thing.
OP- I would call poison control, but I don't think it is super serious or lethal. There isn't much arnica in the actual product.
If it's actual arnica, like, plant extract or some such, then you're in trouble. Not sure why you'd have the herb around, except in salve form though.
If you're really concerned, call poison control, just be sure to specify exactly what form of arnica the kiddo got into. The plant is toxic, the homeopathic is pretty harmless.
Kids are little magicians sometimes, and awesome at knowing what they *shouldn't* get into, hey? (my little brother ate half a bottle of childproof tylenol on my watch when I was a teen and I have been paranoid ever since - they're so quick!)
For greater things are yet to come...
He's probably fine. You can't OD on homeopathics. (Well, not the ones available in the local health food store. The higher doses can cause issues if you take too many.) My oldest has taken whole bottles of the teething tabs more than once! (He was a quick one!)
Call poison control and talk to them. It will set your mind at ease.
Please see my Community Profile! about Asperger's Syndrome!
In a word, your child will be fine. At least according to our ND. But, feel free to call poison control to set your mind at ease.
Why on earth would you post on the internet rather than immediately call Poison Control???
I hope your lo is ok.
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and words of help. I noticed the mods removed my X-Post on this topic, but since this one is still active, I wanted to give an update. First of all, the way I should have started my post was....I am currently on hold with Poison Control...!
I was not intending to find medical advice on the internet. What I was wanting to know is have you BTDT? Should I give him water, milk, make him throw up? Should I be hysterical or not?
So, the update....Poison Control had to call me back after doing their own research. They were very unfamiliar with the subject of Arnica and homeopatchics. They ended up saying that it was "probably fine." I also called my doc who is a holistic MD (but not a homeopath) she said if a child swallows 300 of anything, she advises to go to ER. That said, we went to the ER. They monitored his heart rate and breathing for a while. My son was acting very normal, and extremely excited to be going out when it was dark He showed no symptoms of discomfort, no hyperactivity, no nothing. The doctors, of course, were not familiar with the Arnica, but talked again with poison control and felt fine with sending us home and just keeping an eye out for stomach problems and labored breathing.
He's fine. I'm fine (now!). Thanks for everyone's concern. I was just really looking to touch base with a group of moms I have come to respect and trust.
eta: well, I guess technically you can overdose, but there is no way there is going to be a dangerous reaction. Nothing to go to the ER about for sure.
Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilah (12/21/05) and Cian (9/21/07) as well as 3 2 , 4 rats, and ducks
My 2 year old daughter recently dug in my purse and took my Arnica tablets (max. 20-30). I contacted poison control immediately. They were wonderful and informative. The pharmacist knew exactly what the homeopathic medication was and explained that for Arnica to be TOXIC in the body, one would need to consume 1,000's of tablets. Hope this is helpful to any parents that might encounter a similar incident.
You really can't overdose on homeopathics. Maybe a sugar rush from the sucrose, maybe a little diarrhea, but the tabs are literally so dilute that if you sent one to a lab, they wouldn't be able to tell you that there was arnica in it. Effect of homeopathics are related to frequency of doses, not volume, so taking one pellet every five minutes for a an hour would have more of an effect on your body than taking thirty all at once.
|63 members and 10,267 guests|
|4thtimemama , Ajbaby , americanjuly , angb457 , anita89 , Ann-Marita , annbe , Azik's mom , bananabee , belltree , bluefaery , Bluet , bren94 , catladymeow , Dawn's mom , elliha , frances bakin' , funfunkyfantastic , Incubator , [email protected] , JLUK , JudiAU , junipermuse , katelove , Kim13 , lightheartedmom , LiLStar , lilykate , Marumi , maryeb , Milk8shake , MissMuffet , MOMentarily Distracted , moominmamma , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , neemoomommy , Nemi27 , Nenya , nikkialys , prosciencemum , SandiMae , sarabecca , sarafl , Serafina33 , sofreshsoclean , sortacrispy , SparklePony , spiderdust , Springshowers , ssun5 , SummerStorm22 , Tigerle , TrishWSU , uzra_hashmi@rediff , Wild Rose , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|