When did your child outgrow the BBLP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have the regular sized baby bjorn potty and I feel like it is too big to be comfy for DS.

At 21 months, though, I hate to buy the little potty if that is going to be too small. How long did you guys use the Little Potty for?

Any ideas? Would a toilet ring on the regular toiler be better?

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 PM

At 21 months I'd recommend the Ikea potty instead. It's smaller than the BB potty chair, but a little taller than the BBLP. And MUCH cheaper.

Toilet ring is very different than a potty, it means that you will have to help them more, floor potty allows independance. We always have both available and let her pick what she prefers.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM

We've never used a little potty in our house - it's always been the toilet ring. I don't mind helping her every time she needs to go and figure she'll have to use the big potty eventually anyway. Plus, I don't like the idea of having to clean out the little potty all the time.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#4 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 PM

We use the BBLP but strictly in the car. The big potty we have in the house.

At 24 months, DD still fits pretty comfortably. She's about 32" but has loooong legs. So, she has to splay them out a bit to the side but she's never complained.

She's been diaper-free since 19 months and practicing PLing since 13-15 months and the big potty has worked just find for us in the house. My DD is pretty petite and thin for her age too. So at 21 months I would think your DS would be fine. Truly.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#5 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM

DD is 30mo, 36" tall, and still uses the BBLP.

Yeah, she has to squat on it -- but squatting is actually GOOD for you, for elimination. Our culture is kind of the exception in that we have been taught to "sit" rather than "squat".

It's great for having beside the bed for quick middle-of-the-night pees, since it's not huge and cumbersome.

The ONLY problem we have with it is when she poops in it -- if her poop is, um, large, it will pile up all the way to her bum and make a mess on her lol...

Most of the time, she uses the regular toilet. Sometimes she wants her "green potty" and it's good for her to have options, and like I said it's great at night. We've never seen any need to get a larger potty. It's this and the toilet, depending on her preferences at the time and the particular situation.

We were diaper-free from almost the start, and often held her over the toilet as an infant. She started actually sitting on it, backwards, well before a year old (with me holding her just in case). We added the toilet ring around... oh... a year or so, I think.

Starting around age 2, maybe a bit older (why is my memory so fuzzy about timelines...) she started asking to sometimes use the big toilet without the insert. She sits forward, like a big person, and holds herself in place. She can get up onto the big toilet with no help -- doesn't even use the step stool anymore, which she did need when she was littler.

So I would say... certainly, try a toilet ring. I don't think it's any more work than any other option! Have a step stool so they can get up themselves if you want to promote independence.

But personally, I wouldn't get rid of the BBLP. I think it's a great potty and usable all the way up to age 4 or so. It doesn't have to be a "comfy chair" to be a suitable place to pee. And it gives the opportunity for independence.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page