radio flyer trike vs scootabout - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son turns one next week and we would like to get him a ride on. I am torn over the Radio Flyer Tiny Trike and the Radio Flyer Scootabout. Anyone have any feedback about either one? I was also thinking about getting him the Wheely Bug. Would love any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 02:50 AM

nak

could you link to the exact models?

trikes are hard for most ones although some dextrous kids take to them right away. would this be used on gravel, pavement, rug (in home) or what?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

We would be using it mostly inside(hardwood) and sometimes outside to the park if he gets good enough on it. The road to the park is pavement, gravel and grass! Thanks for any input.

Trike: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Scootabout: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Wheely Bug: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
#4 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Our ds loves his wheelybug but he holds the handle and runs behind, pushing it. He can really fly with that thing. He plays with it every day. But even at 20m he still has a hard time straddling it for an actual ride since the body of the bug is so wide. I'm looking into the Radio Flyers, too, for a ride-on that will fit him better.
#5 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 AM

i would go for the trike. he doesn't need metal & i too thought the bug looked wide.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#6 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 04:38 AM

We have the scootabout, which my son got as a gift for his first birthday. So, can't comment on the others. But, we've been really happy with it. DS figured out how it worked and got on before grandpa could even finish putting it together! He still likes it quite a bit and rides it at least every other day. It's supposed to last until 3 but I'm not sure if the seat will be high enough for that. Guess it depends on how much more he grows in the next 9 months.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#7 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 AM

I have the scoot and DS is two and adores it. It allows for a lot more height adjustment than the trike, which I had been leaning towards in the beginning.
#8 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 AM

Dd got the scoot scoot for her first birthday and loved loved it. It's a good size for an indoor bike too. Ds had the trike and it was too big and awkward for him.
#9 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

We got the Trike at a consignment store and DS really likes it (although his favorite part is the bell!). He's really tall and fits it well, so that's a consideration. I'd get whatever one you think you'd get most use out of size-wise. They're pretty similar otherwise it seems.

One other thing I thought I'd mention - we have one ride-on for indoors and one (well, now two since somebody gifted us a little trike car similar to this one - http://www.littletikes.com/toys/push-ride-racer.aspx) for outdoor. That way I don't have to worry about cleaning the wheels off. We got all of ours second-hand, so we could afford to do that, but just a thought.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#10 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM

DD has the RF Scootabout and L-O-V-E-S that thing! She rides it inside on the hardwood flooring and outside on the back deck. Sometimes, she will even ride it around on the carpet in the living room. While she is riding it, she will sing, "Ru-ee riding bike. Ru-ee riding bike." Plus, she enjoys chasing the dogs with the trike! The little bell is super cute, too. DH added one of my small wicker baskets to the front of the trike with a couple of clear zip ties...that way, DD can cart around her treasures.

I also like that the height of the seat easily adjusts. DD is 36 in and the trike still has a lot of opportunity for adjustment. Plus, the price was great.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#11 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies. I was really into the Tiny Trike at first but I think I have decided on the Scootabout. Of course, that could change in 5 minutes.....
#12 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
Our ds loves his wheelybug but he holds the handle and runs behind, pushing it. He can really fly with that thing. He plays with it every day. But even at 20m he still has a hard time straddling it for an actual ride since the body of the bug is so wide. I'm looking into the Radio Flyers, too, for a ride-on that will fit him better.
DS has been doing the same with his wheelybug, since 13 mos. He is 21 mos now and is not using it quite as much as earlier, but that may be because we are outside more, and the wheelybug stays inside. He has been able to ride it, too, as he has long legs (90+tile for height).

We just bought the Radio Flyer folding trike this past weekend. He really likes the "trunk" in the back to put his rocks and other findings in. He doesn't ride it using the pedals yet, but he is able to scoot about with it, both forward and backward. He can steer fairly well. DH pushes him (a la Kettler trike) with a broom handle. He steers less well when DH is pushing him.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3926143

I had wanted a balance bike, but DS could not touch his feet flat to the floor with a 10" wheeled bike, so we're holding off on that idea until at least his 2nd birthday.

My plan is to keep the trike for outside - garage and concrete driveway and sidewalk, and the wheelybug for inside and on the deck. The wheelybug does not scratch our hardwoods, but I have read some reviews where it will scratch if used on concrete and then on hardwoods (concrete puts scratches in the plastic casters, which then scratch the wood.).

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

User Tag List