Spitting 2 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UGH. My 2 year (a young 2 - but very verbal) is spitting on us. A very wet raspberry kind of thing intended to get spit on us (the rest of the family, me, DH 6 year old DD and 5 year old DD)

He's generally going through a testing his limits stage anyway. The spitting is driving everyone crazy and is just not acceptable.

Any ideas on getting him to stop?
#2 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 12:00 AM

No ideas, just sympathy here. I must say "no spitting!" about 100x/day. We decided a year ago to eliminate raspberries from our playtime, because we could foresee the two year old who just spit at people. Well, it didn't work. We still have a two year old who likes to blow spit bubbles, raspberries and to spit and run. Just this week, he began covering his mouth when he spits, and just spitting into his hand. An improvement, but still gross.

We've been saying "no spitting" for a year, but it just doesn't catch on. He stops at that moment, but later in the day he's right back to it.

I feel your pain.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#3 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM

I curtailed this pretty fast with my Dd by telling her - with a big grin and NO reaction to the rudeness of spitting in my face, "OH! We ONLY spit in the SINK!"

I think spitting is a really fun discovery for kids, and if it's squelched it will come out in anti-social kinds of ways. Once she knew that she could run to the bathroom sink and spit any time she wanted, the fascination with spitting anywhere else was dramatically reduced.

If they figure out that it's a trigger for your annoyance, they'll probably make plays for that attention.

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

#4 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becken View Post
I curtailed this pretty fast with my Dd by telling her - with a big grin and NO reaction to the rudeness of spitting in my face, "OH! We ONLY spit in the SINK!"

I think spitting is a really fun discovery for kids, and if it's squelched it will come out in anti-social kinds of ways. Once she knew that she could run to the bathroom sink and spit any time she wanted, the fascination with spitting anywhere else was dramatically reduced.

If they figure out that it's a trigger for your annoyance, they'll probably make plays for that attention.
Ditto this exactly. "We can spit in the sink. Do you want me to get a stool for you?"
My ds is 22 months, and spitting on anyone and everything, including the cat, and as a very clear statement when he's frustrated or overtired. I found that redirecting him to the sink or bathtub has helped curtail it for the most part the rest of the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page