Mothering Forum banner

Convertible Carseat Suggestions for Baby who Hates Carseat?

645 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  beru 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've heard parents say things got lots better w/driving when they switched from the infant to convertible carseat.

For those who also had a baby who hated the carseat, what convertible carseat did you end up buying? And are there things I should consider in my decisionmaking?

Thanks

#2 ·
I think they're happier because they're higher and can start seeing out the window.

We have 2 (one is the Alpha Omega 3 in one), the other is the Britax MArathon. Love the Britax because it's super easy to install rear facing (it has rear tethering straps that let you get optimal recline really easily). The Alpha omega was a huge pain in the butt to install rear facing in our Ford Focus wagon. Ended up having to take the base off and put in a pool noodle to get enough recline in it (so we were basically back to the same position as the infant seat lower down). The Britax has a narrow, yet very stable, base design that allows it to fit between most seat belts.

Either seem fine for forward facing...but dd seems happier in the Britax for longer trips. I think the design on the Britax (memory foam and styrofoam seat padding) make it more comfy. AND the harness straps don't get all twisted up like the Alpha Omega does.

I'd consider the HEIGHT and weight limit for the 5 point harness...and go for keeping them harnessed as long as possible before switching to a booster seat. Look for thick harness straps that are less likely to get twisted up. Fit it in the car before buying to ensure it's user friendly with your vehicle.

#3 ·
My baby girl did NOT like the car/carseats.

We switched when she was around 5-6 months to the Britax Boulevard. It definitely made a difference.

It wasn't the miracle I was hoping for but it was enough that it was worth it to me.

The biggest thing was just time. By 9 months, she would tolerate longer awake periods in the car. And then by 18 months almost all car tantrums and tears were gone.

But I still love the BLVD. Its soooo plush and comfy.

#4 ·
Britax Marathon.

We were hoping it would help DD enjoy her car trips more. Or, you know, at least not scream the ENTIRE time.

I love the Britax. So much easier to get her in and out, seems more comfortable and substantial to me, and she can see around the sides more easily.

But I wouldn't say it improved her feelings about car rides much. Hope it goes differently for you!

#5 ·
Never used an infant seat so I can't say if she would have hated it or not...

My current fave is the TruFit. It's super for fitting into smaller spaces, even rear-facing. Rear-faces to 35lbs, forward-faces to... I forget, I think 65lbs? More likely for a kid to outgrow it by height/age than by weight, anyway. My 11yo son is only just over 65lbs lol...

Very comfy seat for the kiddos, has a great infant insert for the wee ones, easy to install. She loves it.

#6 ·
Britax Boulevard here too. DS stopped completely freaking out about car rides somewhere around the 18-month mark. It really will get better and your mind will sort of block out the memory. I can only vaguely recall the days when we had to fight (physically and verbally) with DS to get in his car seat, days where I thought we would never leave the parking lot and that I might have to call an ambulance to freakin sedate him (or me or both), and further back the days of the crying enraged baby and stopping 20 times every time we went somewhere, making a 2 hour trip into a 5 hour trip and whatnot. Shudder.

I digress, I think it is really the age/maturity/acceptance level more than the seat itself although facing forward did make it better it wasn't a cure-all. I HATE spending the money, but I think Britax is one of those things that is worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.