Anyone have a non-napping infant turn into napping toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. Miss Baby is 9.5 months and not a napper. We bed-share and she's a very light sleeper who wakes frequently throughout the night (yes, I'm quite tired, but that's another post ). Naps are brief if at all -- 30 minutes is a long one -- and we're just wondering if this might change as she gets older and more mobile . . . DS, who's 6, napped well until he was almost 5, so this is new to us. Please tell me there's hope! TIA!

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
#2 of 12 Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM

dd1 would only nap for about 45 minutes, once or twice a day. she now sleeps for 1-1.5 hours at midday (i think this has been since about 13ish months). not fabulous, but still a break for me!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#3 of 12 Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 PM

DS fought sleep like the devil until right around the time he turned 2. Now he naps like clockwork, and bedtime is a breeze as well. It used to be hours of screaming, fighting, struggling. It all comes and goes in phases.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#4 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well this is good to know, thank you, ladies!

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
#5 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM

My son only napped for 30 minutes at a time for a long time, since birth. He started taking one 90-minute nap at 9 months old, and dropped his second 30-min nap at 11 months old. At 23 months, when I moved him to a twin bed, he started taking THREE-HOUR naps!! Never thought I'd see the day!

At about 2.5 years old, his naps became sporadic. He'd go through two weeks of not really napping, then back to napping for a month or two. Now at just over 3 years, he naps about every third day, for two to three hours.

Cristina
CPST and mom to Toby 6/06 and Caleb 8/09
#6 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post
DS fought sleep like the devil until right around the time he turned 2. Now he naps like clockwork, and bedtime is a breeze as well. It used to be hours of screaming, fighting, struggling. It all comes and goes in phases.
: LOL, only because my reluctant, non-napping infant has just gotten worse as she gets older. I'm glad that it turned around for you! Very very jealous, especially today when I needed a nap too!!
#7 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'm in this club, too. As a baby DD napped maybe 20 minutes or so, once or twice a day. Sometimes I could get her to nap longer in the swing.

At about 13 months she started napping longer. It was shortly after she began walking and I think the exercise wore her out. For a few blissful months she was sleeping 2 hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. I thought I had stepped into a science fiction movie, it was so unlike how she had been as a baby! Then around 18 months it morphed into one three hours nap in the middle of the day... I read books, cleaned, exercised.... Now at 31 months, she is dropping her nap entirely.

There is hope, hang in there!

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#8 of 12 Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 AM

DS2 I swear NEVER slept more than 3 hours at a stretch, and most of that on me in a carrier or on my boob in the bed...until about 11-12 months, he suddenly discovered the joy of naptime. Nothing changed but him
He now at age 3 still naps for about 2 hours a day, is the first one to go to sleep at naptime and at night, etc. And if he gets tired sooner than I get around to putting him down, he passes out on the couch. So there is hope!

OTOH DD was and still is at age 9 an awful sleeper and gave up naps early on and never would look back--but when DS2 came along I realized that she was just a very poor sleeper whereas he really didn't sleep for crap the first year!

-lava
#9 of 12 Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM

DD was a terrible napper as an infant. She used to take two 45-minute naps, with at least half of that time spent nursing and falling asleep at the breast. So I didn't get much of a break. Once she transitioned to one nap around 13.5 months I noticed an incredible improvement. Since that time, she takes a 1.5 to 2 hour long nap each day. And the older she got, the less time she needed me to help put her to sleep. It's been a huge relief!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#10 of 12 Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Another success story. DS hated to hap as a babe. He had to be nursed down every time, and often that wouldn't work and we'd have to bounce him for 30-45 minutes, all for a 30 minute nap. He was such a fighter.

He's just over two now and I get a consistent 1.5-2.5 hour nap each day, and putting him down at night is easy.

I wish I could say I did x, y, and z, but it just sort of evolved.
#11 of 12 Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM

My DD started to nap better once she started to walk. Before that, it was 45 minutes max. She started occasionally sleeping through the night at 23 months. Now at 2 1/2 she sleeps through most nights. Good luck!
#12 of 12 Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM

There is hope. At 20 months I really thought ds was giving up naps altogether. He could go days without napping. But right around 2 he started going down for at least 2 hours every day! He's nearly 2 1/2 now and I'm hopeful to get another year of good naps out of him. My advise is to never give up on naptime. Keep working on it and eventually it should pay off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page