My son is reading my mind. Seriously. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So a few times lately, I have been thinking about something sort of off the wall, and my son has questioned me about it. It literally made my jaw drop when he would ask me.

Once I was thinking of taking him for ice cream, and he looked up at me and said, "Ice cream Mama!!! Go get ice cream!!!" I absolutely know for a fact that I had not mentioned it, and we were in the middle of doing something totally not related. I can't even remember what the second one was, but I do remember him asking me about exactly what I was thinking about and he seemed very confused when he asked me about it. As though he could see what I was thinking about but didn't understand it.

Anyone else out there with kiddos like this? How do you censor thoughts? Am I losing my mind?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM

My son does the same thing. He always has!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by William's Mom View Post
My son does the same thing. He always has!
How do you handle it? Do you encourage it, or discourage it? Do you censor your thoughts? Seriously, I am a little nervous some days if I am thinking about things I would rather he not have to worry about yet.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM

DS used to do that all the time. Not so much lately...maybe it fades with age for some? I miss it in a way! Maybe DD will do it.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 PM

mine does this! i think i posted about it once, maybe in TAO.

recently i was talking to my dad in front of DD about adoption (the possibility of DH and me adopting a child). i was thinking in my mind about a child at DD's daycare who is adopted, but i didn't say anything about him, or about her daycare, or anything.

DD turned to me out of nowhere and said the name of a child at her daycare who is adopted

i suppose it is possible she's heard that he is "adopted" (not that she knows what that means, i don't think) and connected the dots, but...she was just over 2 at the time, and i don't ever recall talking about how he is adopted with her, much less in front of her.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
DS used to do that all the time. Not so much lately...maybe it fades with age for some? I miss it in a way! Maybe DD will do it.
I think it is sort of fun in a way, but also very frightening at the same time. There are just some things that I wouldn't want him to know about. I also think it is just so beyond cool to have that close of a connection with him. Now if only I could get into HIS 2.5 year old head.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM

My dd does this- it always catches me off guard and I'm glad to hear it happens to other people!! I swear they are just more " in tune" with something that we lose along the way.

" The first time her laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same." Greta 2/07 and Tallulah 12/09
Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM

You know how we supposedly only use 1/5 of our brains or something along those lines? Well, do you suppose we are born using more and lose that ability? I mean, I have always believed babies could "see things" we can't (spirits, whatnot), why not toddlers being able to read our non-verbal language in a way most adults cannot.

BTW: my DS (28 months) does this too.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I think it is sort of fun in a way, but also very frightening at the same time. There are just some things that I wouldn't want him to know about. I also think it is just so beyond cool to have that close of a connection with him. Now if only I could get into HIS 2.5 year old head.
Yep, that's why I said miss it "in a way"! The connection is cool...but I don't want him to know how much I think about ice cream now!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
You know how we supposedly only use 1/5 of our brains or something along those lines? Well, do you suppose we are born using more and lose that ability? I mean, I have always believed babies could "see things" we can't (spirits, whatnot), why not toddlers being able to read our non-verbal language in a way most adults cannot.

BTW: my DS (28 months) does this too.
I agree. Julian has for sure noticed "spirits" since he could see more then a few inches in front of his face He also responds to what I am thinking, although he is not very verbal yet he does sign things and reacts. I try to keep this in mind as I am helping him to sleep on those long frustrating nights

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 AM

This isn't the same thing, but...

When my daughter was three, my dad got very sick. I knew he was going to die, but I didn't LET myself know it... kwim? I guess I was in denial, and was mostly expecting him to turn the corner and be O.K.

We went over to help my mom with some things at the house. We went in my dad's room to say hi to him. She went in and said Hi, and looked at him with her head cocked to the side. (he did not say a single word... I don't even think he opened his eyes)

Then she said to me, "He says he's going to die now". I was kinda mad and horrified.. I said "No he didn't!!" and I made her go out to the kitchen. A few minutes later, my sister in law and my four year old neice came over. E**** went in, and came back out and matter of factly said "Grandpa needs to die now". I'm still haunted by that. He died the next morning, and both granddaughters who saw him were not only O.K with that, they both said "I know" when they were told. They weren't even together. My nephew who was older and hadn't seen him in a few days was the only kid who was surprised.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
You know how we supposedly only use 1/5 of our brains or something along those lines? Well, do you suppose we are born using more and lose that ability? I mean, I have always believed babies could "see things" we can't (spirits, whatnot)
I had a strong feeling about this baby's spirit coming to visit us at the time of conception, that it's a girl, and that it decided to stay with us because DS is part of the package, but I never said anything about it to DS...I guess time will tell if Mama's spidey senses are still intact. I swear my son knew about the baby coming before we ever said a word to him about it. A number of times, he'd be sitting in the living room staring at nothing I could see and say, "Baby, baby!" FWIW, DS is also very certain that it is a 'girl-baby' whenever we ask him, and he's at that 2 year old stage where just about everything is either "no" or a listing of all available choices. And, when he pointed at the lone grainy ultrasound photo we have of this baby, he identified it as the girl-baby and that the baby is in my belly, which demonstrates what is, for him, an unusually clear recognition and exposition of the actual situation...

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 PM

DD used to do this. It doesn't really happen anymore.

She also told me I had a baby in my tummy approx. 2 days after I conceived. We had NOT been talking about this to her.

Also, she randomly started saying "See grandpa, see grandpa" and crying the day FIL took the fall that put him in the nursing home where he eventually died. (I had no idea he had fallen when she said this, nor was he under discussion.) They were not close and she had not seen him or talked about him in months. I actually have never told my DH this story.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 08-13-2009, 03:58 PM

My oldest ds (now 11 ) did this often when he was younger... it stopped somewhere around 4-5... he even told me about being born once. We had many many instances where he said things I was thinking. Some could have beeb coincidence (like driving into town, me thinking of going somewhere, then he says it...) But there were many times that it was just too random to be coincidence, kwim?

None of my other three children have done this.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

Once I was thinking of taking him for ice cream, and he looked up at me and said, "Ice cream Mama!!! Go get ice cream!!!" I absolutely know for a fact that I had not mentioned it, and we were in the middle of doing something totally not related.
My dd did this once when I was thinking about chocolate covered raisins, which are her absolute favorite treat. I was trying to figure out how I could sneak some without her seeing me, and just at that moment she dragged me across the room and into the pantry and pointed at them. Totally freaked me out! She hasn't done that since, but she's still only slightly verbal, so we'll see when she starts talking more.

Wife to rockin' SAHD DH (34) and mom to DD :, born Nov. 07 (from IUI #4); 09/09; anxious to TTC again soon
Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 AM

I've sworn my dd has done this a few times as well, but always have dismissed them as coincidences. Like maybe the same thing that turned my train of thought one way, did the same to her. I can't remember any specific examples though. Weird.

Laura - Mom to Selena 3/2007 and Allie 5/2009
Old 08-14-2009, 04:31 AM

My now 6yr old has always done this and still does. I don't find it creepy and we have a laugh about it now. I kinda like the connection and joke that he's in my head again (happens usually once a week or so and mostly when I'm really absorbed in myself thinking or planning in my mind as I'm doing something). Apparently FIL was the same with his mother and is clairvoyant but doesn't do anything with it. He just knowingly nodded when I told him about DS but didn't want to engage in it as he had some bad experiences that put him off (ie used to use it as a party trick as a teenager and freaked himself out one time). I don't think DS is (and I'm not) clairvoyant but he and I definitely have some sort of connection there.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM

my daughter, now 27 months, I guess has ESP. even while I was pregnant, she was pretty amazing. She "quickened" at only 11 weeks development, the kick was felt by both me & my midwife at my 13wk prenatal. also, I could hold my hand about an inch from my belly & she'd follow it around with her movements, during the 3rd trimester. and she's read my mind lots of times, just like others have mentioned.

I don't do anything special to "handle" it, I don't worry about it. I answer her questions, explain things best I can, I guess. I think it's pretty common, really, moms & kids have intuitive connections even deep into adulthood.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 PM

My daughter will be 2 in a week. Since she first started speaking, she has commented on my thoughts. I imagine she could "read" them even before birth.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by averlee View Post
my daughter, now 27 months, I guess has ESP. even while I was pregnant, she was pretty amazing. She "quickened" at only 11 weeks development, the kick was felt by both me & my midwife at my 13wk prenatal. also, I could hold my hand about an inch from my belly & she'd follow it around with her movements, during the 3rd trimester. and she's read my mind lots of times, just like others have mentioned.

I don't do anything special to "handle" it, I don't worry about it. I answer her questions, explain things best I can, I guess. I think it's pretty common, really, moms & kids have intuitive connections even deep into adulthood.
I too felt my son move for the first time at 11 weeks, and I was a first time mama. Nobody believed me, but a co-worker felt him kick at around 13 or 14 weeks too. So funny!

I forgot to add with my first post that twice now, DS has been staying with a friend of mine for the day. She lives on the second floor apartment and you have to "buzz" people in through a locked entryway. There is no way to see or hear a person who is at the door before you push the buzzer. Both times, he has looked up at my friend, literally seconds before I push the buzzer and says, "Mommy!" and goes running for the door. It totally freaked her out the first time, and now she laughs when he does it.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Wow! These are amazing!

This is a bit different, but for the past 6 months or so, ds has been asking me questions like "remember when I was the daddy and you were my baby and we lived by the ocean?" I tell him I don't remember but that it sounds wonderful.

He talks about the ocean and boats all the time (we live in KS, by the way), and says "I'm so happy to be your baby now."

I don't know what to make of it, but it's pretty sweet.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcparker View Post
I had a strong feeling about this baby's spirit coming to visit us at the time of conception.
I have felt this with both babies. With #2 I felt his spirit starting in May and conceived in Oct, so he hung around for a while (we were preventing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post

This is a bit different, but for the past 6 months or so, ds has been asking me questions like "remember when I was the daddy and you were my baby and we lived by the ocean?" I tell him I don't remember but that it sounds wonderful.

He talks about the ocean and boats all the time (we live in KS, by the way), and says "I'm so happy to be your baby now."

That's so cool!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 AM

pumpkin pie, I am glad to hear it, I guess at least we are not crazy.
My daughter and I have an incredible connection. We butt heads a lot, she's 2 yrs old, she's a little to the high needs/fussy side. But, like I was saying before, she started blowing my mind while I was pregnant and has not stopped since. Once at a midwife appointment, the midwife could not get good readings showing a range of heartrates. I asked what the problem was, when she explained, I sorta sat up halfway and jiggled, saying something like "let's let Paula hear what it sounds like when you really kick those feet" and when the midwife took the 2nd reading, she looked at me so weird and kinda with her mouth open. She writes on the chart and looks at me again, "I have never in all my experience seen anything like that". I just was like, huh? you mean most moms can't get their babes to move around like that? Also, I did not get any ultrasound but knew she was a girl, did not even pick out any boy names I really liked.
In the very first weeks of my pregnancy, I could sense my daughter's presence within me. OK, I'm not some kind of weirdo here, I'm a nice normal lady you'd meet at church or PTA or anywhere, OK? But I swear, I could feel this tiny point of warmth, and light, and joy in my uterus. Like, as she came to life in there, she was delighted to find herself alive, and conveyed that to me. And when she was born, and she saw my face, she recognized me. maybe all babies do, but this little girl knew me, she had me pegged, I was an open book to her, she knew me inside out and it was like, "hi, nice to finally see you again."
motherhood is a bizarre and interesting journey, huh?
you were asking about, how do you deal with it. I think you have to handle it the same way you'd handle your little one overhaering an adult conversation. for instance, if they heard you talking on the phone to a friend who was considering they might have to have an abortion, how would you handle that? Or if they walked in on a family discussion about someone's illness and that they might die soon, how would you deal with it? Basically, that is all that is happening is "overhearing" or maybe even "eavesdropping", and it is OK to say, "mommy was trying to think about that quietly, I did not mean for you to hear me. but yes, grandma is very sick..." you know, with sensitivity and honesty.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post
Wow! These are amazing!

My ds also asked me one time where he was before he was growing in my tummy. I said " I don't know, where were you?".. and he replied " I was the wind blowing in your face.."

Perhaps not too psychic... but sweet nonetheless.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM

My dd5 has done this a lot (by a lot maybe 4 or 5 times a year since she was verbal). Maybe partly intuitive, partly connection based. It seems so normal when it happens like my thoughts were out loud and she just answered them that I don't really give it much thought. It's interesting to hear others thoughts on it.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

So, I "tested" him yesterday, and he totally got it! It was crazy. He was asking to stop at the local bagel place that I like to bring him, and they were closed, but right down the road there is a chocolate place that also sells ice cream. We have never been there, and I had not mentioned ice cream at all that day. He was actually still crying a little over not getting a bagel.

Anyway, I stopped the car, pulled him out, sat him on the trunk to put his shoes on and said, "We are not going to get a bagel, but we are going to get..." I literally stopped talking right there and simply thought, "ice cream!!!!" and he instantly screamed "ICE CREAM!!!! YES MOMMY!!!! GET ICE CREAM!!!!" I almost fell over laughing. It was the cutest, funniest thing ever.

Tonight, he took a bath, and at the last minute, I jumped in with him. Apparently we were both pretty filthy. I noticed that the bath water was really cloudy and dirty once we were out and was thinking, "yuck, that is so icky" and he looked up at me and says, "Yucky water Mommy?" He wasn't even looking in the tub, he was just looking at me. It was only after he asked me about it that he looked back in.

Such a funny guy! I am so happy that I have this more on my radar now. It is actually kind of a fun game, although I do find myself censoring my thoughts a bit occasionally. So fun, yet so strange all at the same time.

User Tag List