What is wrong with my DD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also posted this in Health and Healing. So if this is against the rules, mods feel free to do what you have to do.

I have no idea what is going on with my little baby. well, she is actually not a baby - 22 months old. She has been running a fever since Monday night. We took her to the ped on Tuesday since she spiked a fever of 103.8. the doc said her tonsils were red and infected. So they gave her Amoxicillin. I took her back yesterday since she still was running a fever (not as high, but not going away) every day. They gave her different antibiotic and told me it's probably a virus. For 5 days??? She is not coughing. She does not have an ear infection. The strep throat culture came negative.
She refuses to eat. She is always such a good eater! On top of everything she has 2 BIG white sores on her tongue. Evertume she tries to eat something she holds on to her cheek.
I am trying not to give her too much of Tylenol and Motrin. But I want to make her comfortable. So she gets about 1-2 doses a day of each, mostly before bedtime. I figured she needs her sleep.
What do you think is going on? What can I give her to eat? I tried about everything now.
Thank you for listening. I hate when my baby is sick.
#2 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 03:13 PM

have you ruled out hand, foot and mouth disease? it sounds kind of like when my dd had hfmd -- the white sores in the mouth, especially. dd had a fever for several days and couldn't eat anything because her mouth hurt so much. she had red, swollen gums and white sores all over her tongue and gums. she didn't have the blisters on her hands/feet, really, but our pedi said that some people present with only the mouth symptoms of coxsackie virus.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#3 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 03:13 PM

I would have thought teething except for the white sores on her tongue. The two year molars might be coming which could cause a fever for a few days. When mine was getting her first molars around 14 months, she got them all at once within a three week period. She had it all...vomiting, diarreah, fever, and all she wanted to do was nurse. She didn't eat much. The fever would spike and then go down within that night and back up again.
Sorry I am not much help, but just wanted to give hugs...it is so hard to see our babies suffer.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#4 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 03:24 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I think it sounds like an infection. I guess, finish the antibiotics, although if they think it's a virus they should not give antibiotics right?
The tylenol and motrin is ok. If you need to you can even give both, you can stagger the doses if you want. If you follow the instructions on the bottle carefully it is safe, and if it is helping, that's great.
As for getting her to eat, I really suggest ice cream. It has lots of calories, so even if she doesn't eat much, she'll get something. And it is nice and cold, feels good.
I hope she's feeling better soon.
#5 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM

When DS had just turned two, he got his first outbreak of cold sores (oral herpes) -- all in his mouth and down his throat. He had a high fever for almost a week and hardly ate. Check this website to see if it's a possibility for you:
http://dentalresource.org/topic52herpes.htm

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 04:48 PM

sounds like hand foot and mouth disease to me, nothing to worry about and very common

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#7 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post
have you ruled out hand, foot and mouth disease? it sounds kind of like when my dd had hfmd -- the white sores in the mouth, especially. dd had a fever for several days and couldn't eat anything because her mouth hurt so much. she had red, swollen gums and white sores all over her tongue and gums. she didn't have the blisters on her hands/feet, really, but our pedi said that some people present with only the mouth symptoms of coxsackie virus.
That's exactly her symptoms! Her gums are fiery red and she got a couple of new blisters on her tongue. I feel so bad for her. She is barely eating and is very whiny. I can see why! My poor baby...
#8 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM

i'm so sorry, mama. i remember we had a not-so-fun couple of weeks back in may. my dd's gums were swollen to the point where her teeth almost disappeared. it was awful. can your dr. confirm that it really is hfmd?

since it's a virus, there's not a whole lot you can do except to address the symptoms while the body fights it off. our pedi told us to swab/rinse her mouth with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of benadryl and maalox. it's supposed to coat the sores to soothe them. acidic foods hurt worse than others -- maybe the maalox neutralizes any acidity? my daughter wanted nothing to do with food or drink of any kind except for nursing, which she did constantly for almost two whole weeks. we also used tylenol and motrin, but i think the motrin worked better because it's an anti-inflammatory in additon to being an analgesic. we used it mostly only at night so we could get some sleeping done.

my dh ended up getting hfmd too. he was worse off than my dd because he couldn't nurse away his pain. he lived on milk and soggy rice krispies for two weeks, poor guy. i must have had it or been exposed as a kid because i didn't get it. my pedi said it's mostly a childhood thing and that adults usually have a harder time with it.

here is the cdc's website for the coxsackie virus.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#9 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 PM

That sounds like a textbook description of HFMD.

Adults don't typically get HFMD and children less and less susceptible after the age of 3. I've BTDT at least 5 times, it's a miserable virus that spreads like wildfire at daycare and the antibiotics won't do anything for it.

Unfortunately all you can do is make your LO comfortable and wait it out, lots of ice cream and ice pops made my DS more comfortable. It can last for a while. Super extra special attention to cleanliness is the best defense, it is spread through feces and can live for several days on thinks like door handles and hard surfaces.

If you're still in diapers you may want to wash everyone's (baby included)hands AND use Purell after a diaper change. They touch their little bottoms and can spread it themselves.

Hang in there......

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#10 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah, hand foot and mouth for sure. I would medicate her with rotation of ibuprofen and tylenol for the pain. Why are they giving her abx if it is a virus? Lots of fluids, no citrus. Virus can run 10+ days but it sounds like you are through the worst of it. Unless she is low weight don't worry to much about the eating, she will make it up after she is better.
#11 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! Her fever is gone, thank goodness! But the sores are there and the gums are still red and swollen. poor pumpkin! That was the sickest she has ever been. Not fun at all
#12 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM

My ds had something like that last year and it was a herpetic virus. I know it sounds scary but it is not herpes the STD......it is a virus with fever and cold sores.....once you get this you get prone to cold sores in the future. Went away after about a week.
#13 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 02:28 PM

I will also suggest coxsackie virus.

What I cannot understand is why the ped would

#1.) not recognize this or the herpes suggestion made by other posters. It sound pretty textbook to me. (I hear all to often parents are told its just a "virus". Well thank you, could have done that diagnosis on my own) My infant was diagnosed with a much milder case of coxsackie. He had a pretty high fever for about 12 hours, then sores in the back of his mouth that I couldnt even see, and no noticable pain or discomfort. (Other then the fever) I joked that I would take coxsackie over a cold or stomach bug any day! Maybe the younger they are, the milder it is, like with verisella.

#2.) why on EARTH would they perscribe antibiotics when they fully admitted it was a VIRUS? I am sure you are aware of how harmful it is to administer/ingest antibiotics when there is no bacterial infection. I would start on some probiotics soon, to try to counter any damage done to the gut.
#14 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
Thanks, ladies! Her fever is gone, thank goodness! But the sores are there and the gums are still red and swollen. poor pumpkin! That was the sickest she has ever been. Not fun at all
The swollen gums are also part of coxsackie. Its called gingivostomatitis. Have you tried brushing? If they immediately well up and bleed, you know for sure that's what it is. And the thing is, brushing can help, even though it might be a bit painful. Poor sweet thing.

DD has had coxsackie twice, both times lasting about 10 days until being 100% better.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#15 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
They gave her different antibiotic and told me it's probably a virus. For 5 days???
WHAT?????!!!!!???!?!

Why would they medicate a virus with antibiotics?

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#16 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post
Exactly what I thought.

Here is some information that I compiled for myself and another mom at
daycare last fall. I'm copying it to you here. Take what you want and
leave the rest. The XXX is where I had typed the child's name.

1. Coxsackie is a virus that provides immunity once exposed. So, if you
were exposed as a child, chances are you won't get it now as adults, or
XXX won't get it again. (or, if you/she did get it again, the course
would be mild). However, hand, foot, and mouth is a syndrome and can be
caused by a number of viruses, coxsackie is just the most popular. It
would be possible to be immune to coxasackie, but if the HFM is caused
by one of the other viruses, you could come down with it, too. Outbreaks
are more likely in the early fall, and it is highly contagious.

2. Can she rinse or gargle? Have her gargle with warm salt water (made
with sea salt, if you have it). I think 1/2 - 1, tsp in 1 c of water
is the right dosage. (For years, whenever I had a sore throat, I would
make the strongest possible solution and then wonder why it didn't feel
that great. My mom, who is a nurse, got me back on the right track with
the proper dosage.) It will soothe her throat and may help with the
healing.

3. Not specific to the coxsackie virus, but more generally, L-lysine is
a supplement that is good for viral infections. Very useful if you have
canker sores, cold sores or an outbreak of herpes virus. I use it
anytime I have canker sores in my mouth (or those little cracks on the
side of your lips or even after eating too much acidic food). I don't
know what the dosage for a small one would be. Not sure if it comes in
anything other than a tablet or capsule. You can find the dosage for an
adult easily by googling L-lysine and herpes. The dosage for treating
herpes is much higher than the dosage that is recommended on the back of
the bottle. I have taken some myself in the past 2 days, just in case I
was exposed and am not immune.

4. I'm not big lover of medications for infants/children (or anyone, for
that matter), but have you given her Tylenol for the pain or asked the
doc for a script for Tylenol with codeine? (NOTE: This was for a child who could not sleep or eat because of the pain. Her throat was so swollen that they took her 1 hour by ambulance to the nearest Children's Hospital.)

5. Have you thought of chamomlile tea to help her sleep? If she's REALLY
having problems at night, you might consider benedryl. Again, I'm
usually anti-medication, but in this case, I might cave.

This link has a suggestion for a mouth rinse/coating

http://nips.med-web.com/Handouts/Ind.../coxsackie.htm

And, I like Dr Sears stuff. He also has a suggestion for a
mylanta/benedryl mix --

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082600.asp

Finally, since she has been given an antibiotic, you may want to
consider getting plenty of live culture yogurt and/or kefir into her as
soon as she will take it. Antibiotics wipe out good bugs in addition to
the nasty ones.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#17 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

1. Coxsackie is a virus that provides immunity once exposed. So, if you
were exposed as a child, chances are you won't get it now as adults, or
XXX won't get it again. (or, if you/she did get it again, the course
would be mild). However, hand, foot, and mouth is a syndrome and can be
caused by a number of viruses, coxsackie is just the most popular. It
would be possible to be immune to coxasackie, but if the HFM is caused
by one of the other viruses, you could come down with it, too. Outbreaks
are more likely in the early fall, and it is highly contagious.

There are different strains of coxsackie, so it can be gotten more than once. The immunity you'll have is to the strain you've been infected with.

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page