Two year old suddenly stuttering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

DS has advanced speech patterns for a two-year-old (27 months). But two days ago, he suddenly started stuttering. It didn't gradually become worse; he suddenly just started doing it Friday evening and hasn't stopped. He typically repeats the first word of his sentence, like "wh-wh-wh-wha-wha-wha-wha-what are you doing, mommy?" He does it sporadically, sometimes he'll go half an hour without doing it, sometimes it's three sentences in a row.

I'm friends with the local speech pathologist in town and have contacted her for some guidance, but I would love to hear what you have to say about this. There's lots of conflicting information out there.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Stuttering at this age is not uncommon. The brain moves faster than the mouth, and sometimes things get a little mixed up. It's probably nothing to worry about, just don't pressure him or make a big deal about it and it will most likely go away in a few weeks.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 PM

My 2.5 stutters when she's got too much to say at the same time... But it seems that she's done it since she's been able to say lots...

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Another vote for normal. DS started stuttering at about 3, until 4. He had the thoughts clearly in his mind, but just could not think of the right word as fast as he was talking. Not that he was a very speedy talker.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum tree View Post
Stuttering at this age is not uncommon. The brain moves faster than the mouth, and sometimes things get a little mixed up. It's probably nothing to worry about, just don't pressure him or make a big deal about it and it will most likely go away in a few weeks.
This is great advice. My two older children did the same (it's too soon to tell with the two little ones) and this was the advice from their pediatrician. It will pass!

The sea monkey has my money.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum tree View Post

My 2.5 yr old does this too.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Both of my twins, at different times, went throught periods of stuttering. One time was right around 2 and a half. It's perfectly normal. I did not say anything to either boy about it, and admonished people who said something to me to ignore it.

Just pretend he isn't doing it, model correct speach when you speak, and he will probably grow out of it. If he is still stuttering after a few months, then I'd consider seeking professional advice.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 08-24-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Today he was talking to DH and got SO frustrated when the words wouldn't come out. This kid has been able to communicate his needs since he was 11 months old, and the stuttering is really bothering him. We're trying some of the techniques I read on the stuttering foundation website, like maintaining eye contact, slowing down our speech, and showing him that we have plenty of time to listen to him. I hope this passes soon. He REALLY likes to talk.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 AM

Micah has just started "stuttering" a bit. I seems like it is more like stumbling over certain words. I have been trying not to stress about it. I don't know if it is that his mouth is attempting to work faster/slower than his brain is....I have thought that maybe he is trying to perfect the word so he won't get it all out until he has tried a few times to say it "correctly"?

I don't know...

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 AM

My DS wasn't an early talker, but he was an advanced talker. By the time he was 1.5 he was speaking in sentences and even strangers could understand him. He went through a stuttering phase too, I think it lasted a few weeks. The main thing is to ignore it as much as possible--you don't want to make him feel self conscious or try to complete his sentences for him. I was pretty worried, but it passed.

User Tag List