Toddler poops in the tub CONSTANTLY! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UGH! I'm starting to get super frustrated with DS who is 16 months old. It seems he poops in the tub at least once a week lately. Tonight I got so frustrated he was crying, I was fuming because I had to clean the tub and all the tub toys and it was just a bad scene I've tried waiting up to an hour after dinner to put him in the tub and it doesn't make a difference. Right now we eat dinner around 5:15/5:30, play until 6:15/630, bath and bed by 7. Most days he's a once a day kid in the mornings after breakfast but then every few day he lets loose in the tub : Tonight we were laughing and putting our face in the water and the next thing i knew he pooped! What can I do? I try to watch for the signs. Usually he squats and starts grunting but tonight he was sitting there and bam! PLEASE tell me there is something I can do.

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 PM

i'm sorry that you have to deal with this. i've been there several times when our dd was about the same age. it's disgusting and very frustrating. and then i often felt guilty for reacting less than positively. i don't really have any advice other than maybe getting him a little potty to sit on before his bath. i know he's still young, but if he regularly poops at that time, you might catch him before his bath. make it a fun and regular part of his bath time routine. starting around 17 mo, we would have dd sit on her potty before her bath, and most of the time she would at least pee in it. we wil definitely start this earlier with our next dc. anyway, i hope he stops going in the bath. good luck to you!

dd 10.06joy.gif
#3 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Give him a bath before dinner? Or after his morning poop?

#4 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm confused. Are you frustrated with him? Seems like changing his bathtime might help. How about bathing him right after he poops?

Why was he crying? Why were you fuming?

This is a completely normal thing for a non-potty learned baby.
#5 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 10:55 PM

Run like an inch or two of water with no toys. Let him splash until he poops. Super easy clean up (your bathtub drains to the same place as your toilet).

It's really common for warm water to help things relax. Better a planned poop in the bathtub than constipation, yknow?
#6 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 PM

I know how frustrating this can be, to clean up. Both my older ones did this. We minimized the bath toys so there wasn't many to clean, if it happened. And if ds or dd hadn't had a poop at the regular time, we skipped the bath that night and had the bath after the poop came the next day. I think the previous suggestions of changing the bath time to right after a poop would help.
#7 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm frustrated that it keeps happening. I know he's not potty trained and things like this will happen but it's at least once a week, if not more. After I realized what he had done I picked him up quickly and I think that startled him more than anything. It was just a really long day and I woke up not feeling good and at that point I was having major BH contractions and am getting over a cold....blah blah blah......

The thing is, if we go OUT to dinner and he gets to bed late - he doesn't poop in his diaper, he doesn't poop until his "normal" time the next day. I think sapphire_chan might have a good point. Tonight I made the water a little on the warm side because the bathroom was cold. Maybe on nights I make the water warmer is when he does this. I don't know. We do have a potty in the bathroom right now and usually when i change his diaper I'll ask him if he wants to sit on the potty and he always points and shakes his head no.

I think I had to vent more than anything. It's so gross and I'm just annoyed it keeps happening even though he can't help it. I'd love to start potty training but we're about to move him into a new bed and bedroom and bring a new baby into the house so it's just not the right time.......

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#8 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 PM

How about not giving a bath every day, or would that mess up your routine?
#9 of 11 Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM

DS did that a lot at the same age. I swear I was cleaning the tub 4 times a week- I don't think it has ever been that clean! Thankfully it does stop, as DS hasn't done it in months and months.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#10 of 11 Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about putting him in the tub for a few minutes & then have him sit on the potty. The warm water is probably relaxing him. Maybe it'll save you some clean up.

Doula mama to dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08) and expecting (Apr '17)
#11 of 11 Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM

My daughter went through the same thing and it lasted from around 16 months to 23 months when she potty trained. It was at least once a week, I ended up stopping taking a bath with her until after she pooped. Its part of life, warm water relaxes the bowels and babies don't understand that they shouldn't poop in the tub. Its not like they do it to upset you or anything. Have you thought about trying to have him use the potty before bathing? Or changing his bath time?

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page