will not poop in toilet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

my 3 year old girl is potty trained since she is 2 years, dry at night, never has accidents but she will not poop in the toilet!!!

She uses a pull up.

Any ideas or experience in how I can get her to use the toilet?

Thank you all for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 02:43 AM

:

We're in the same boat. DS will wear underwear all day but when he has to poop he runs and gets a pull-up to put on to go!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 09-05-2009, 02:51 AM

What if you just let the pull ups run out? Talk about how when these pull ups are all gone you will be ready to poop in the big potty. You might be pleasantly surprised. I know I was so surprised by my dd.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 AM

I agree with telling her that there are no more pull ups after you use them up. Let her see them all out so she can track as there are fewer and fewer.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM

I had to bribe my 4yo DS to poop in the toilet. He's obsessed with Legos, so I made a sticker reward chart...get so many stickers and we'll buy you a new Lego kit. It worked. But I had to make it clear that it didn't matter if he pooped 5 times in a single day or none at all...the important thing was that when he did poop, it was in the toilet and not the diaper.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for all your input, yes, we have 5 pullups left and i told her a few days ago that will be it..i will keep you posted.

I have fiber pills ready in case she holds it

i will try the sticker chart again..

thank you
Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM

I tried taking dd's pullups away and it caused her to hold. We ended up having to take her to a gastrointerologist who did a painful exam on my dd that involved an internal of her intestines (finger up dd's bumm) Her regular ped also did that exam as well and dd was very traumatized from it.

She had to take 2 laxatives for awhile to empty her out and keep her from holding her poo. I gave her back her pull ups and was just grateful that she wasnt holding any more and risking doing permanent damage to her colon. I had no idea kids could hold poo since adults cannot but they can and it is horrible when it happens.

DD ended up not going poo on the potty until she was 5yo because of all this. So I say just leave her alone and let her do what she wants and she will train soon enough. My ds who I left alone potty trained himself in a single week both poo and pee when he was 4.

Trying to force dd to poo on the potty by taking away her pull ups is a major regret of mine I caused her needless pain because I was impatient.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Mcatlvr: Sorry your child had such a horrible experience.

OP: I just wanted to add a little more. You could wait if you are concerned about holding it but I wouldn't wait and I have my reasons for why I think people shouldn't wait so long. I just think you need to make it really positive. I am not much into rewards, but in this case I am. I would pull out all the tricks in the books. I would talk it up about how great it will be to put poo in the potty, no more yucky feeling in your pants. You are such a big girl (some don't like this, but I think toddlers hit a stage where they want to be BIG...they want to be like mama and dada). I would find another toddler who poops in the potty and let her watch. Go out and buy some new panties... the whole nine yards. I would find great books and videos. I would have snacks to eat while you poop. Have bubbles ready to celebrate poo in the potty. Positive, positive, positive. Really I would treat it like you probably did in the beginning when she learned how to pee pee.
You have to sell it to her. I believe she has the skills since she is holding it until she can put a pull up on. She just isn't sold on how great it is to poop in the potty. She must not be afraid of the potty if she pee pees on it.
Find what motivates her and tell her that when she puts poo poo in the potty she can have that thing...whatever it is.

One question: Have you ever asked her why she doesn't poop in the the toilet? Why does she like to poop in the pull ups? She might start talking about it and give you some insight to help her. Some kids just need a little motivation.
And I would start now with a lot of high fiber food and get her stools very soft. So when those pullups run out her poop will slide right out into the toilet! Sorry...too graphic!

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM

FTR I didnt just decide to take away the pullups I did everything under the sun first to try and get her going on the potty. Rewards, praise, toys stickers you name it I tried it for over a year. Before my mom told me to just remove the pull ups which I did and what I wrote above just followed.

She was already peeing on there full time at 2yo but would hold poo until a pull up was put on her at night.

I honestly dont know why I was in such a hurry kids grow up to fast anyway and a lot of the time more damage is done by pushing things than just waiting it out.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM

I have a similar problem.  My 3 yr old girl will go pee in the potty when prompted, but if not, will happily do it in her pants and only thus far has never been sucessfull with pooing in the potty.  She doesn't even try.  We will go often, and if she has to poo, she'll literally wait till we no longer can sit there in the bathroom with her, and when her pants are back up, she goes #2.  It's so exasperating.  She has wonderful language skills, so I've tried the reasoning approach, tried asking her why she's OK with doing pee in the potty, and not poo, and all I get are blank stares, and when she's really cheeky, she simply tells me she doesn't understand!   We've tried the reward system.  I've had her watch me.  My husband even has her go in with him to watch.  We've tried bribery.  I feel like I've tried it all.  I've even tried telling her she can't go to school until she can go poo in the potty. (She talks about school a lot, so I thought it would be a huge motivator).  I've even tried doing nothing.  But now I feel we're simply in a holding pattern, with no progress or growth.  Ugg!  She's so quick to get other things, that I know it's not because she doesn't know how.  I'm not sure what my next step should be.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM

This is so my thread. My daughter is almost 3 1/2 and while we finally made it to full pee pee in potty she also refuses to do the number 2 in potty. She gets really upset when I tell her it is time to pack the diapers . I once asked her why she didn't want to poop in potty and she told me that it was because of the "splash". So crazy what can stick in these little ones minds.

I have a giant dollhouse that is in the basement ready to use as a reward ( I'm pulling out all the stops!) but it still doesn't help. I really think that she thinks she cannot do it and it is very much a power struggle.

Trying to stay positive but it is so easy to let the frustration show.

Any success stories?

User Tag List