When did your LO start saying words?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Well my DD is 14 months old. She is imitating sounds that we make and also movements/gestures we make, but she is not saying any words yet. She is very observant and interested in everything though. I know its still early but I am just wondering when your LO's started saying words.. I guess I am also curious since my 5 year old son has autism (hes nonverbal). I do believe environmental factors played a part in his autism and I dont really think its strictly genetic, but I just want to watch her and make sure she is on track. Its so hard on my son that he cant... I appreciate any info on this. Thanks!

Jen
#2 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 05:25 PM

My LO is 14 months ... He says 'hi' well enough for strangers to respond. Apart from that, his dad and I are the only ones who can guess at his 'words'. (There are maybe 3-5 sounds that he makes that are pretty close to words, but it's not always entirely clear.) He makes some animal noises, but they are not always connected with the correct animal. i.e. dogs sound like sheep
#3 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 PM

My daughter started talking at 9months, but it was only daddy and kitty. Slowly she'd start making more and more sounds, it wasn't until 20months when she really started to speak. We did sign language with her, so communicating that she wanted more milk at a young age wasn't frustrating. I personally feel that sign language actually sped up her langauge as she knew that she could communicate with us and get her needs met. We have always made sure to continue talking, and pair the sign with the verbal word.

It is possible that your son having autism COULD have effects on her speech development, but I think that is worst case scenario. I think as long as you make sure to have playdates etc with other children her age, and talk at home just as you normally would things will be fine.

Its not something I would stress about, you certainly don't need that!
#4 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I am not too worried at this point.. If she is not saying anything at all by 18 months then I might start to wonder a little bit.. But she really does like to imitate alot so I think that would be a good sign. Even when I am trying to get my son to imitate a sound I am making, I will hear her in the background imitating it. She has always babbled alot also. Now that I think about it, I think she does say bye and wave, so that is something Anyway, sign language is great. We use it all the time with our son.. its his main way of communicating.. So I tend to use it with my daughter just out of habit. I think it definitely is helpful..
#5 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 PM

My ds said his first word around 17 months and had 5 words at 22 months. My dd has over 50 at 17 months. I think it is good to keep tabs on it and it seems like your dd is headed in the right direction
#6 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Not to freak you out, but DD started with a very clear MAMA at 5 months, and has added an average amount of words and sentences to her vocab since then. But she was pretty darn slow to crawl and walk. She was always more into people than motion, and while she has hit her milestones just fine, she is still oriented to people and books first. I always wonder if some areas of the brain just activate differently based on the child. My DH and I were both fast talkers, slow walkers, too.
#7 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcement101 View Post
Not to freak you out, but DD started with a very clear MAMA at 5 months, and has added an average amount of words and sentences to her vocab since then. But she was pretty darn slow to crawl and walk. She was always more into people than motion, and while she has hit her milestones just fine, she is still oriented to people and books first. I always wonder if some areas of the brain just activate differently based on the child. My DH and I were both fast talkers, slow walkers, too.
I think this makes sense.. DD was very focused on learning to crawl and walk...
#8 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 05:35 AM

My dd is 14 months she had mum and dad for ages but not much else really, occasionally she would say something once or twice then loose interest. Then just the last couple of weeks she has gotten yum, meow= cat, up, and more. All i hear all day is "more more more more" i think it just takes some children a bit longer to get it, but once it clicks they are off.

Also i agree early walkers= late talkers, dd walked at 9.5 months, all of my ils where the same my mil walked at 8 months and didnt speak until she was 3! I was the opposite and talking in sentences at 18months. I suspect there is alot of genetics that play into it.
#9 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yea they can all be so different. Thats why its hard to go by guidelines saying they should be saying this many words by this age, should be stringing words together by this age, etc... Its so variable it seems like..
#10 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 02:04 PM

My kids were all relatively late talkers.

DD1 said her first word at about 19 months. She was actually already into speech therapy, because we were alarmed at the delay, and than WHAM one day she started talking. Within a week, she had 50 words.

DS started saying words around 18 months, and then slowly acquired words at a steady pace. He started making short sentences at 25 months. Which is, again, a bit on the late side of normal, but still within a normal range.

DD2 started saying words at around 15 or 16 months. She said her first two word phrase at 19 months, and probably had full sentences by 23 months. Which actually, now that I look at it, isn't really late at all. Probably fairly average.

At 14 months I would be alarmed if there was no imitation, no consonant-vowel babbling like "ba ba ba" or "ma ma ma," no eye contact, very little sign that LO understands what you say, no following your line of sight or looking at what you point at, or no attempt to communicate non-verbally ( like lifting her arms to be picked up, or gesturing at an object she wants, or patting you affectionately). I wouldn't worry at all about no words until around 18 months, and even then, if all the other signs of normal development were in place, I'd wait a month or two more before looking for help. (DD1 taught me that!)

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM

DD had around 5-10 words by the time she was 10 months old.

By a year, I'd lost track.

By 18 months, she was using 4-6 word sentences.

I think(?)she's advanced language-wise though.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#12 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 03:33 PM

my 15th month old isn't talking!
#13 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM

DS said "aah" until he was 14 months old. That was it. He finally started to babble sounds after he leared to walk at 14 months. He started to talk at around 16 months. Now, at just a little more than 2, he talks all day, every day, even in his sleep, with decent articulation and a huge vocabulary.

They really do all develop at their own pace.
#14 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcement101 View Post
opposite of my DS. He's a year and only says the occasional mama and dada, sometimes associated with us and sometimes just babbling, along with a bunch of other "baby talk", but he crawled at 6 months, walked at 10.5, and now at a year is climbing all over everything! I'm not expecting that he'll start talking any time soon.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#15 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM

i was concerned when my 12 month old wasnt really saying anything beyond the usual mamamama dadadada babababa. but just this last week he now says so much! he nods and says yeah, waves hi and says hey, says dogie and signs doggie, says nana for grandma. likes to say baaa for sheep, mom for cow(), and mow for meow. bubrry for blueberries or pretty much any fruit. and it all just happened litterally in the last week. so dont stress, they change so fast and really in their own individual time.

#16 of 17 Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM

my son didn't start saying words until he was about 22 months old.he was very active and very communicative so we didn't worry much... He's now 24 months old and saying many new words a day and putting words together in very short sentences.
#17 of 17 Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

At 14 months I would be alarmed if there was no imitation, no consonant-vowel babbling like "ba ba ba" or "ma ma ma," no eye contact, very little sign that LO understands what you say, no following your line of sight or looking at what you point at, or no attempt to communicate non-verbally ( like lifting her arms to be picked up, or gesturing at an object she wants, or patting you affectionately). I wouldn't worry at all about no words until around 18 months, and even then, if all the other signs of normal development were in place, I'd wait a month or two more before looking for help. (DD1 taught me that!)

Luckily she is doing all of these things, so she seems to be developing normally to me...Only difference between her and my son as babies is that she has not had her vaccines and he has had them all... Not to start anything here, just saying...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page