What's the story with nuts and toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tracyamber

#1 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
How long am I supposed to wait to give nuts, or food with nuts, to my daughter? Is it an allergy issue? Are some nuts safer than others?
Thanks!

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#2 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last I had read from the AAP, they didn't recommend nuts to children under 3 out of concern for allergies.

I believe I have also read about a later British study that suggested that the longer nuts were DELAYED, the more likely allergies were.

There is no history of nut allergies in my family. I think we tried hazelnuts close to 1 year, and most other tree nuts not long after. We held off on peanuts until more like 15 months or so, when he finally *insisted* he had to have a bite of my PB toast breakfast, and NO, the jelly toast would not do. He's 2 now, and no problems with any kinds of nuts.

If there'd been a history, I would surely have held off longer.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#3 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 AM

I think it's also a choking issue for kids under 3.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#4 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 AM

I think AAP has changed their tune and now don't recommend waiting on nut-foods, just the choking concerns.

Ds has had nut butters since around maybe 8 months or so? He can now eat some softer nuts- pecans, walnuts, cashews.

-Angela
#5 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 AM

We waited until our children were 4. My DH and some of his siblings have numerous allergies and some have asthma, so we felt it was best to wait. My nephew was given a peanut butter sandwich at 7 months and he went into anaphylactic shock (and was then diagnosed with a bunch of other allergies). All of the allergies went away after a few years, though.

Personally, I would wait until after 3, mostly for choking issues (even peanut butter and other nut butters can be so sticky in the mouth that they can be hard to swallow for little ones) and partially "just in case" of undiagnosed allergies.

We waited on strawberries until after 2 and shellfish until after 5, too.

So far, one child is allergic to amoxicillin and the other, nothing. <knock on wood>
#6 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 AM

With no history of nut allergies on either side of the family, DD has been offered nut butters since about 11 mo. Since nuts are still a choking hazard for LOs, I also offer her tiny pieces of nuts.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#7 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Micah hasn't had any nut or nut foods yet, but mostly under the guise of the recommendation of holding off until 3, not necessarily because I think it is necessary to hold off. I hate all nuts and nut butters, and the smell of them make me nauseous. Plus, Micah eats pretty much what I eat, so since I don't eat them, neither does he. He is 28.5 months.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#8 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM

With no food allergies on both our sides we weren't worried, and DD has has had a variety of "butters" since she was around a year old.

Now she's just a bit over two, and we do a lot of nuts. Almond slivers are one of her favorites, peanuts, and we sometimes crumble cashews. She eats them around us only, and they are healthy and yummy!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#9 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM

The new Allergy guidelines (according to the allergist at the Montreal Children's hospital) says that anytime after 6 months is no problem and the only reason to wait is that if there is a reaction the child can tell you better...

She gave her kids nuts for the first time at around 9 months with her own kids... My 3 have all had nuts before a year (depending on when they started solids)...

I use nut products in a lot of my cooking (peanut oil, West African peanut soup, curries, hunan dumplings etc) so I am not worried about the choking factor...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#10 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Because I have a severe tree-nut allergy (and DH also has food allergies), I'll probably wait until DD can communicate with me a little better. So it will mostly depend on how her communication skills develop. She's 1 and so far she's never had any peanuts or tree nuts at all.

I actually have a memory of being about 2 years old and trying to explain to my mother that my tongue was "itchy" after eating nuts, but she didn't understand me. Luckily by the time the reactions became life-threatening, I knew enough to avoid eating nuts on my own.

Mama to DD : 09/08
#11 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM

We were holding off with DS until he turned two, but he found some nuts on the floor and ate them well before that (sometime after he turned one). He didn't have any reactions and we don't have any allergies so after that, we started to slowly introduce them. We didn't have any problems. He loves nuts and PB now.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#12 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 PM

I've got a 16 month old and what we were advised with her is that nut products like nut butters were fine once she'd developed good eating skills-in other words...not so much a good first food, but later is fine-whole nuts or nut pieces and seeds should wait until the child has molars because even though gums are great for crushing foods (and we've got a pro BLW pediatrician) they're often not strong enough to crush nuts. Naomi got into a dish of peanut butter at 12 or 13 months (I'd been eating pretzels dipped into peanut butter and left the dish of peanut butter a little too close to the edge of the table.) We haven't introduced nuts or seeds yet-no molars to crush with.
#13 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM

DS1 had nuts way before a year - I couldn't find any studies proving that allergies were less if you waited and some actyally that showed te opposite!!
#14 of 14 Old 08-16-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I know this thread is old bit I found a study linking momther's pregnant with low vitamin D during pregnancy, may have higher instance of children with nut allergy. I did not know I was low in D when I was pregnant with my son. He has a nut allergy and no one else in the family does. I looked back on my blood work and sure enough I was low. This pregnancy I am taking vitamin D for other reasons but it is a very interesting study. If anyone is interested I can try to find it again.
sassyfirechick likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page