Mothering Forum banner

When will she stop sticking food up her nose?

481 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  beadmama 
#1 ·
For the past week DD (17 months) thinks it is hilarious to stick food up her nose. I try to catch her before she gets anything up there but sometimes I can't. Last night at dinner she got something up there and she was miserable all night and so was I as she could not sleep. It still has not come out and she is a crank! I have tried the suction bulb thing but got nothing so I guess I will have to wait it out or should I take her to the dr.?

When do they learn cause and effect??

See less See more
#2 ·
My dd2 was just like this! It was so annoying! She was terribly sneaky too, we'd watch so carefully and then bam, she'd have something so far in her nose. Ugh. I feel for you. We usually could see the item that was stuck and my husband got really good at pulling it out with tweezers while I held a flashlight and held her down. Fun. Or I'd put a couple drops of saline in her nose and then suction bulb it out. A couple of times something would be so far in her nose we couldn't get it out and eventually it'd just come out on it's own. She never got completely miserable though, I may think about taking her in if it's disrupting her sleep. Anyway, this stage lasted about 3 or 4 months for us and then she just stopped doing it. Good luck!

#3 ·
Not anytime soon if she's like DS. It was over a year ago that I had to take him to the Dr. to have a rotten, stinky blanket string removed from his nose.

About a week ago he was blowing his runny nose and out came a clump of blanket strings!!! He said he put them up there the other day ... he's almost THREE!

At least he's stopped eating them ...

ETA: I wouldn't wait too long before taking her to the Dr. if it doesn't come out on it's own. DS ended up getting pretty miserable before we figured it out ... I had taken him as soon as the funky smell started but they couldn't find anything ... another week or so passed and I got really scared, the clear fluid turned bloody-ish and he was looking sick ... he was very relieved (as was I) when the second Dr. found it waaaayyy up there.

I should have been more insistant with the first Dr. since we knew he liked to put them up there

#4 ·
I have a pretty strong stomach but the "whole eating" it thing caused my stomach to roll.

The something is still there but she can breath and her nose is still runny but it does not seem to be bothering her anymore. I put some breastmilk up it this morning so maybe that will help?

I really don't want this to continue until she is 3

She is just so quick about it!

Thanks for your help

#5 ·
I guess I should have clarified the eating them part ... they weren't the same ones that were up his nose.

He ate some and stuck others up his nose. Usually he'd just stick them up his nose, pull it right out and then repeat ... but the odd time they'd get stuck and I had to go in with tweezers.

Too many times I'd have to pull the ones he ate out of his butt at a diaper change ... did I mention I was glad he stopped eating them ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.