What is your favorite potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any good review (or bad for that matter) of a potty for my little one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 PM

I got a potty used a while back and DS never liked it much. Then we got a potty seat reducer for our big toilet and he's take a liking to it (has elmo & ernie on it...) and will actualy go potty occasionally on it!!
#3 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM

I second the rec for a potty seat on the big toilet. We've tried several potty chairs, starting when DS was only 18 mos. He was always too big for them, and he is not a big kid (average h/w). They were hard plastic, which cut into his little backside after sitting for just a few minutes, so he could never sit long enough to be successful. And there was absolutely no room for his penis to get down enough to shoot into the potty.

The only challenge with the big potty is the necessity of climbing up on a stool to get on. DS is not much of a climber, so this was a barrier until recently.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#4 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the baby bjorn little potty and we've been pleased. It's cheap, sturdy and simple.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
#5 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:05 PM

We have the Baby Bjorn potty chair and the seat topper. We like both. They both have a very functional splash guard if you have a boy.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#6 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Im not sure what its called but its white, w/green top and a blue seat.

DONT GET THAT ONE

Its messy, hard to clean, and the lid falls on your kids back when they sit down, or it slides across the floor.

The baby bjorn little potty is great, but it is a baby potty - ds used it from 7months and still fits on it but he is only 21lbs now at 26 months (he has been using the big potty for a year now)

A bunch of his friends have one shaped like a frog and they all seem to like that one - boys and girls.
#7 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 PM

The little potty can actually be used well into toddlerhood for most kids... as they get bigger, they just squat more, which is actually a healthier position for elimination anyway. (Our western approach of 'sitting' rather than 'squatting' is actually unusual!)

DD is, admittedely, still under 29lbs, but she's almost 3yo and over 36" tall. She still loves her BBLP.

We do also have a toilet seat reducer, but you can't beat the convenience of a potty for middle-of-the-night easy pees. Sometimes she barely even wakes up.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#8 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 PM

We have a Baby Bjorn potty in each bathroom thanks to a dear friend who passed them along to us. Ds seems comfortable and he is able to go over, arrange the seat, and sit right down on his own. It is easy to clean as it is only one piece and easy to transport (we tuck it into the back of our car for longer trips). We received a Winnie-the-Pooh potty that looks like a chair but it is not practical, not comfortable, and not well-made. This is the third child I have been through potty learning with and this is my favorite potty.
#9 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 PM

NOT this one... for a wide variety of reasons, some already listed by pp.

- the ring soaks up urine and is difficult (if not impossible) to clean.
- if it isn't sitting far enough from the wall, the back (lid) cuts into the child's back.
- urine escapes between the cushion and the bowl (I have a little boy - I am sure this one is gender specific).
- when emptying the bowl, the urine and/or water doesn't funnel out of the bowl at a singular point. It goes everywhere, making it difficult to dump without spilling on the toilet, and it gets water/urine in the area where the cushion sits, thus giving it a prime opportunity to soak it all up unless wiped dry first (I'm lazy -- this drove me nuts).
- my son is fairly petite. However, when he sat down, I routine had to tell him "push your penis down", because it would sit on top of the shield if he didn't. He got to the point where he would sit further back on the cushion to avoid doing this, yet when he pooped it made a HUGE mess, since his bottom wasn't in the hole.

I am sure there is more, but I threw it away last month and have attempted to forget about it...These are the things I do remember!

ETA: I have been thinking about getting this one. I thought I was going to be able to do without one at all as Micah as pretty good about using the big potty, but these are good for when he is in a hurry...

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#10 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM

we had this one, and it sucks

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Com...2895921&sr=8-4

ds's feet couldnt reach the floor when we got it (at about 14-15 months) and it took me a while to realize thats part of the reason he didnt like it. the handles got in the way when he tried to straddle it, and the "splash guard" is a complete joke

we got this one instead, and we love it

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-P...2896048&sr=8-1

i tried it out in the store, and his feet hit the ground. the handles dont get in his way, and the way its designed, its doesnt matter if he sits on it backwards or forwards, both sides are tall enough to keep everything in

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#11 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 PM

lol shydaisi, we posted the same links

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#12 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
lol shydaisi, we posted the same links
Well, at least I know that someone likes the Froggy Potty!

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#13 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post
We have the baby bjorn little potty and we've been pleased. It's cheap, sturdy and simple.
:

We got that and a larger potty. My kids only ever used the BBLP.

Edited to add: The one that they didn't use was the one ShyDasi posted a link to. It mostly got disassembled and the various parts were used as silly hats.
#14 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 AM

We have both the Baby Bjorn Little Potty and regular potty.

We keep the BBLP in the car and it works great in a pinch. We would have used it in the house but DD likes to lean back on the potty sometimes and the regular potty has a higher back.

I seriously think these(and the frog pottty)are the best, easiest, potties out there.

I've PLed with a lot of kids because of being a nanny for 13+ year and so many of the other potties are a PITA!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#15 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM

We have all three Baby Bjorn pottys. The big chair type potty, the little potty, and the one that goes on the toilet. All of them have gotten a lot of use and I highly recommend them. They are kinda pricey, so if I had to choose one, I'd probably go to the chair type one. We keep the little potty in the chair for when we can't get to toilet easily, and it works well for that. The seat is great for transitioning to using the toilet full time.

I should add the reason I like these pottys--they are easy to clean! Plus, they match my black and white bathroom.
#16 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 01:08 PM

We have the ikea potty, it's simple and easy to clean, DS is still learning to sit on it, but I won't actually try pl'ing until after he adjusts to baby.

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#17 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 PM

I've heard good things about the Baby Bjorn and the Ikea potties. That froggie one is too danged cute!

We had some no-name, non descrpit potty, and DD didn't like the non-padded seat in it, so we got a potty ring that fit in that and used the same ring to transition her to the toilet. She didn't really, truly become potty trained until she figured out she could sit on the regular toilet seat and go without the seat insert thingies. Much easier on just a regular toilet seat.
#18 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM

We have this super obnoxious singing potty that also has stickers. DD LOVES it and was potty trained by 18 months. She loved the fact that it talked to her and encouraged her, found the pretend flusher awesome and the stickers were a big stinking deal. This potty is not for everyone but really worked for her. But remembering to turn it off at night is a good plan since the cat would set the darn thing off at 3am.
#19 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Another vote for the Baby Bjorn. Its two parts are simple to clean and the hole is big. DS sat on other potty chairs and his penis would hang out because the hole was just too small. We'd wind up with urine all over the floor. I also bought an Ikea mini potty that looked very similar to the mini Baby Bjorn. I keep it in my minivan and it's been a lifesaver when we've been out and nowhere near a toilet. Best $3.99 I ever spent.
#20 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM

We have a potty version of this: http://www.brightstarts.com/p-59-my-...ster-seat.aspx

I can't find the actual potty anymore, perhaps they stopped making it. That's good, it was a pain. The bowl was too shallow and if DD pooped on it she'd just get backed up. That, and she liked to take the green potty bowl out, THEN sit on the chair, and pee...through the hole, onto the floor. Thankfully this one was mostly outside, and she did a lot of grass watering.

The IKEA potty is great. I actually like that it's white - I can see how hydrated, or not, she is, which is handy with her in the early stages as I then know how much to watch the clock and remind her to go often. I actually went to buy a BBLP-style one at a local store, they were out, and the lovely woman there sent me to IKEA. For $3 a pop I bought four of them and I do keep on in my van too!
#21 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM

Luckily we haven't had any duds!

DD has used the BBLP since we started ECing. Now at 28 months she is still using it (she is on the small side).

We also have the Ikea potty and she actually prefers that one over the BBLP now because it is a bit taller. It was only 2.99 here in Canada!

I love both those pottys because they are one piece and very easy to clean. The only tiny drawback is dumping them can be a bit messy since there can't be a funnel. However they are so easy to clean it doesn't really matter.

We also have a Disney Princess toilet insert... which I actually dermelled off the princesses from. It was the best insert we could find (I think the "boy" version is Cars or something like that), because the hole was small for a tiny bum, and it had handles on it.

DD uses a combo of the potty's and insert. We have no room for a stool so I like the potty's because she can use them completely independently whereas the insert she still needs me to lift her up.

A bad review come to think of it was the fold up reducer. We used it only a few times. DD found it way too unstable and I think the folds cut into her legs.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page