Slings and Carriers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All-

My DD is still about six months away from being a toddler---but she's already getting pretty big (somewhere around 20-22 lbs or more--we don't own a scale ). DH and I absolutely love carrying her in a sling. But it's getting kind of painful. We're learning the hip carry but wondering whether something else might be more comfortable.

What slings or carriers do you use with your toddler? I've heard good things about the hip hammock...Anyone here tried it? Would apppreciate any recommendations you could give.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 04-26-2002, 11:28 AM

We have a tough traveller (can't remember which one, maybe the montana) and I like it so far. It definitely transfers the weight to my legs; on a 2 hour walk in town i can feel it

I've heard it's more comfortable than kelty from friends but have never tried one.

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#33 of 48 Old 04-26-2002, 03:16 PM

I recently bought a hip hammock. I really like it. I was using the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch... which i cannot say enough good things about! But we needed a carrier both dh and I can use.

The KK fleece pouch is so cuddely, compact, and easily put on and off!!! I never had any problems w/ strain or feeling uncomfortable wearing it. www.kangarookorner.com

I also think the Hip hammock is awesome! It's nice because the size is very adjustable for babies and parents! I got mine from Mamamoon (in the Mothers Nature Market)
#34 of 48 Old 04-26-2002, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snickerdoodle
But, the important thing is to try them on!
DITTO! Some are better or worse for different size people, and some are better or worse for different purposes. Trying them on for you and your needs is best. I know there are other stores like this, but REI has actuall fake hills and rocks to walk around on AND bean bag weighted teddie bears to put in them too. RELLY makes a difference when you see if a 30 lb'er in a pack when you're 5' tall is really even a possibility, etc.

We have the Kelty and like it because the straps adjust to fit my 5'2" frame and hubby's 6'1" frame. We use it for actual hiking mostly though since the sling is better for parties and such and the stroller really is easier in malls. We love the back pack for the park and airport tho! Free hands for dog leash or luggage is a real plus!

~Sandie
#35 of 48 Old 04-27-2002, 03:09 AM

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, but mostly in the foothills of the Cascades
We loooooove our Tough Traveler Kid Carrier! I added some pipe insulation to the bars in the back and that made it even more comfortable. The bars used to hit me in the back when I was vacuuming.
#36 of 48 Old 04-28-2002, 12:17 PM

I must throw in my voice of dissent

I DO NOT like our Kelty carrier (we have the town version, which I think is the cheapest?)! DH really likes it, but I think it is soo uncomfortable to wear, and I am convinced that it was designed for a man's body. It's just too "big" and the straps seem to be in all the wrong places. And I don't think there even are enough straps for support, all the weight seems to be on the shoulders. Uggh...

But...maybe that's just the model we have? Everyone seems to love the elite and the explorer? Maybe that's more what we need for the amount of time that we wear it (a lot of day hikes this time of year).

I want to hear more! We're getting ready to do lots of day hikes this time of year, and after a full day of wearing the carrier yesterday (and the backache it caused last night!), I'm ready to throw down some cash for a good one!!
#37 of 48 Old 04-28-2002, 12:22 PM

I find that using two-three different carriers works well for us. He can be in different positions in each of them, and it kind of spreads the weight (or the pain, as the case may be ) around a bit.

We used our New Native exclusively until DS was 12 months, then bought a Maya Wrap, which is a *bit* more comfortable now that he's larger. We use a combination of both of those now, as well as our Kelty backpack.

Good luck to you..very cool that you're thinking about it ahead of time! Good thinkin!
#38 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Banned

we have been using the hip hammock since december.
It is GREAT!
He weighs 25 pounds and there is still lots of room.
I am sure it'll fit up to 35 pounds.
#39 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 06:03 PM

Whats the Mothers Nature Market?
#40 of 48 Old 05-01-2002, 12:01 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. We're looking into the carriers/slings you recommended.

Sahara: I did a web search and the Mother's Nature Market is at mothersnature.com.

Happy Sling'in!

StillForest
#41 of 48 Old 05-01-2002, 10:32 PM

I swear by the maya wrap...if that's the sling you have try it on your back. My ds is a peanut but my 30 pound niece does well on my back(and it's not so bad for me!)
#42 of 48 Old 05-02-2002, 12:53 PM

I just want to say, I also tried out the Hip Hugger hip carrier and quickly sent it back!! It cost $75! and really is just a glorified sling... but I'd prefer most slings over it any day! It has this little metal bar for adjusting the strap that dug deep into my shoulder... and it really didn't seem very secure for a wiggly toddler... but, I really do like the
Hip Hammock!
#43 of 48 Old 05-02-2002, 01:28 PM

mamabean,
How do you get them on your back in the sling? Does that take some of the weight off of the one shoulder? I'm thinking of tying my own carrier, a friend gave me a nice blanket from Guatemala for that, I've never had the guts to try tying my own.
Going to check out mothersnature.com
#44 of 48 Old 05-02-2002, 06:14 PM

okay gals.. since my last post on this hip carrier topic I have tried out the Hip Baby by Walking Rock Farms. It is the best! More comfy than the Hip Hammock. I do like the Hip Hammock, but like the Hip Baby waayy better. Here's the link:
www.walkingrockfarm.com
#45 of 48 Old 05-03-2002, 04:52 PM

I'm another Maya Wrap fan!
#46 of 48 Old 05-04-2002, 02:05 PM

Goodness this is tough! I'm going to go to our local AP play goup and see if anyone has some of these that I can try out.

Bebe Luna and Snailmama (and other hip carrier owners)-

Do you think that the hip belt on the hip hammock and the hip baby help distribute the weight better? Do they work well with tall/long babies as well as heavy ones?

Maya Wrap fans-

Do you think that these distribute weight for big/heavy/tall babies and toddlers better than
other ring slings like the OTSH and Sling-Ezee etc???

Thanks everyone. This is great! Looking forward to more sling'in.
#47 of 48 Old 05-04-2002, 02:43 PM

I think the waist belt helps distribute weight...
I have a long, 26 lb 15 mo- I love using a hip carrier w/ him...
I love slings also, but he can wiggle out of them pretty well, and doesn't seem to do this in the hip carrier. Actually he rests his head on my shoulder- it's so sweet!
I find that w/ slings and the pouch style slings (maya and kangaroo korner) that w/ an older/heavier child they pull on my shoulder in an uncomfortable way... I don't get that w/ the hip carriers.
#48 of 48 Old 05-04-2002, 05:00 PM

I think that the Maya Wraps distribute weight well, but I've never tried other slings so I can't say how it compares. I like the versatility of the Maya Wrap for big babies/toddlers. Depending on your child's copperation, you can carry him/her on your hip OR on your back. And if my toddler daughter falls asleep on my hip, I can pull the fabric up to secure her head and we're both comfortable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page