Peanut butter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2004, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! Hope i'm posting this in the right place. I've always heard that you shouldn't give young children peanut butter because the earlier you give it to them the better chance they have of becoming allergic. Anyway, with my first two i did, but the other day my dh gave my 11 month old dd a muffin that had peanut butter in it. I was worried, but it didn't seem to bother her. Does this mean it won't and that she can go ahead and eat it from now on or should we still wait until she's 2 or 3?
Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 02:44 PM

Oh I so want to hear the answer to this!! I did the same thing, sort of, we were out to eat and the only thing they had that I thought he would eat was pb&j so I gave it to him (and I was tired of fighting about all the food he hates so it was a weak moment). Of course he loved it and showed no reaction to it. He was about 13.5 months at the time.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:04 PM

When my son was an infant he had severe eczema which can sometimes be a link to food allergies later on in life. We were told to hold off on nuts until least 4 YO. My husband gave him a piece of Thai pizza w/ peanuts when he ws 14 months. He had no reaction but I called my ped anyway. He still advised me me to wait at least another year because of the eczema. However he also told me that if both parent families have no history of food allergies then introducing nuts at 18-24 months is fine. Just do it on a weekday in the AM because you are more likely to get in to the Dr's and/or emergency room at that time. We ended up giving him almond and cashew butters at about 20 months and he was fine.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 02-09-2004, 03:10 PM

I say to use your best judgement.

Ds has had peanut something or other since he was about 1 yo. Basically, both dh and I talked about it. There is not one peanut allergy on either side of the family. There are also very few allergic people. We decided that we would give him small bits spaced out over a month and see if anything happened. The only thing that happened was that he found his favorite food of all time. I think he would starve if peanut butter was taken from his menu.

I agree with Hollybearsmom, if you are going to give it a try, do it in the AM so that you will be able to take action if neccessary.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:50 AM

I had no idea!!! Wow you learn something new everyday. Too bad my son is 15mo and we have been giving him peanut butter for months.

User Tag List