Tricycle for 2 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter turns 2 a few days before XMAS and has been showing interest in bikes, any suggestions for a tricycle to get her for one of those upcoming occasions?
#2 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 AM

We got DD this bike when she turned two. We had read a lot about some of the "nicer" bikes that have that handle for parents to help steer, and apparently this bike does that better/more easily than the Radio Flyer. We also turned it into a rocker to use inside during bad weather. DD is now coming up on 3.5 and uses this every day. We still use the handle, in part because we go on long rides/walks and in part because she likes to jump off and run around from time to time, leaving us to push the bike along. We really like it and get a ton of use out of it! Ours is yellow/green/orange... I think it was backyardigans, but we left off the sticker/branding.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

We got the Radio Flyer trike with the handle, but we would have been okay buying the trike without one... DS is very into bikes and wants nothing to do with the handle on his! I think we only used it once before we took it off.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#4 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

We have this one, in red. My son loves it.
#5 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Micah had (well, still does ) a fascination with bicycles just before he turned 2. I found a small (10") balance bike that he absolutely loves! It was the best gift I could have ever given him. He loves being able to ride a bike that is like the big kids. He is already balancing and pulling his feet up to glide along for 15 to 20 seconds at a time.

I know you asked about a tricycle, but just thought I would offer an alternative that she might enjoy.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#6 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM

this one http://www.toys-that-last.com/tricycle.htm

And it has lasted well with two kids. We leave it out all the time in moist conditions. It is like new.
#7 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 PM

We have this kettler one with a handle. We bought it on craigslist for $40 and it looked brand new when we got it.

He likes it, he can pedal it, (his bff can't they are the same age). We are starting to watch craigslist for balance bike though.
#8 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
We have this kettler one with a handle. We bought it on craigslist for $40 and it looked brand new when we got it.
We also have a Kettler with a removable handle. It's quite adjustable, and was one of the few tricycles around that we could make small enough for DD when she was 2.

I'm glad that we got the push bar because it basically allowed us to use the trike as a stroller.

Ketler trikes are extremely well made. DS is starting to take an interest in the trike now, and there's not a doubt in my made that the trike is going to be around when baby 4 is ready to ride.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#9 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 PM

another kettler customer here. they are by far the most sturdy among those in our playgroup.
#10 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!!
#11 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM

We got the Schwinn on craigslist & tied a rope to the handlebars, so we can pull her. Sometimes she gets off & pushes too.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#12 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM

We got a kettler. It is very well made, but for us it had been more of a stroller than a bike for DS. We got it when he was not quite 2 and now at 29mo he can just barely reach the peddles and can't peddle it on his own yet. His legs are kinda short for his height, but he is able to peddle on other tricycles. And an almost 4yo friend is also unable to peddle the kettler- B/C of the free coast mechanism yu have to peddle about a 1/4 turn before it starts to work and for an inexperienced peddler (DS) or an impatient one who won't listen (friend) it can be tricky.. I'm sure a kid that got what was going on would not have trouble with it. And come to think of it part of the problem might be that they are trying to ride on the lawn. I should take it to a paved park and see how they do.
We did just get DS a balance bike though and he was off & running on that right away. I wish I'd just gotten a wagon or something for pushing/pulling DS in and skipped the push trike. He used his radio flyer tiny trike way more.
But if you do want one, definitely check ebay for deals on used ones! We got ours at 1/2 price and including all of the accessories. (Bell, seat belt, basket)
#13 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM

we have a kettler, but the scooter, by micro, gets the most love: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Scooters...4484463&sr=1-1
#14 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 AM

My daughter got a radio flyer trike for her first birthday and has been riding it since about 18 months. It is adjustable, so you can slide the back half of the bike up towards the front.. I can't find it online but maybe someone else could? It's awesome!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#15 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
Micah had (well, still does ) a fascination with bicycles just before he turned 2. I found a small (10") balance bike that he absolutely loves! It was the best gift I could have ever given him. He loves being able to ride a bike that is like the big kids. He is already balancing and pulling his feet up to glide along for 15 to 20 seconds at a time.
Where did you find this bike? I have been looking for one small enough for DS and I know he would love this.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#16 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Where did you find this bike? I have been looking for one small enough for DS and I know he would love this.
I went onto Haro's website and looked for a local retail store (within a certain number of miles). I called them and asked if they could order it for me. I pre-paid for it, and I picked it up within the week.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#17 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM

We got the Radio Flyer without the handle, and since we live in a very hilly neighbourhood, I wish we'd had a handle! It killed my back...

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)
#18 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
We got a kettler. It is very well made, but for us it had been more of a stroller than a bike for DS. We got it when he was not quite 2 and now at 29mo he can just barely reach the peddles and can't peddle it on his own yet. His legs are kinda short for his height, but he is able to peddle on other tricycles. And an almost 4yo friend is also unable to peddle the kettler- B/C of the free coast mechanism yu have to peddle about a 1/4 turn before it starts to work and for an inexperienced peddler (DS) or an impatient one who won't listen (friend) it can be tricky.. I'm sure a kid that got what was going on would not have trouble with it. And come to think of it part of the problem might be that they are trying to ride on the lawn. I should take it to a paved park and see how they do.
We did just get DS a balance bike though and he was off & running on that right away. I wish I'd just gotten a wagon or something for pushing/pulling DS in and skipped the push trike. He used his radio flyer tiny trike way more.
But if you do want one, definitely check ebay for deals on used ones! We got ours at 1/2 price and including all of the accessories. (Bell, seat belt, basket)
our kettler doesn't have the free wheel. The pedals turn when you push the bike no matter what. (we call it nonconsentual exercise) I think it makes learning to peddle easier. and the fact that m 2yo is larger than many 3-4 year old's!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page