Stuttering that is getting progressively worse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 2.5 and has occasionally gotten "stuck" on words at the beginnings of them. I always figured it was his brain working faster than his mouth, but lately it has become so distressing to him that he will actually start to shut down and say things like, "I all done talking" and look down at his feet.

He tends to get more stuck when he is really excited, overtired, or over stimulated, which makes sense to me, but the fact that he is doing it more and more and more over the past few months is starting to worry me. He is getting extremely difficult to understand at times, and it just makes me so sad to hear him struggle so much.

I am trying to give him him as much time to speak as he needs. I don't try to "guess" what he is trying to say. I pretend for the most part that the stuttering isn't an issue in any way, but occasionally I can't figure out what he is saying. Most of the time it is when he gets stuck on every word in a sentence like: "Wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh wh where are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are we go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go going?" but picture the stutters about 10 times as long for each word here. His sentences just seem to get so jumbled.

He was a early talker and his speech has always been extremely clear. He was speaking in short (2-3 word) sentences by the time he was 12 months, and he has been speaking in full 5-6 word (or more) sentences since he was about 20 or so months old. His speech has always been so clear that strangers can understand him about 95% of the time too.

He does have a pediatrician appointment next week, and I have spoken to his teachers at his preschool. His teachers have said that they have never noticed him stuttering at all, although I have definitely heard him do it at school. I am not sure what his ped will do, but I guess I am just looking for some advice, hope, or guidance. I have never known anyone who stutters, and noone in my family stutters. I feel so lost on how to help him.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Both of my boys went through stuttering, starting at about 2 and a half, and again after three. It didn't last, but for awhile it was very bad. At around four, the one that hadn't stuttered much began inserting a "tssts" noise into his sentences, in the same way that stuttering works.

In all instances of stuttering (or the weird sound) I quietly told people to ignore it. Pretend it wasn't there, and never speak of it to the child. I had to speak to my father privately as he was really worried, to assure him that I'd see that he got help if it lasted more than a few of months. In my experience, the "wait and see" approach has worked.

Stuttering is developmentally normal at this age. If you are going to talk to his doctor about it, I'd have your concerns in a note, given to the doctor, as I wouldn't speak about this in front of your son. Perhaps others will think that's overkill protectiveness.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM

My DD will be three in November and just started stuttering in Sept or so. We also go in spurts where it will be nearly nothing, then the next day it is almost every word and she gets frustrated and just stops trying. It is sad to see. I am doing the wait and see thing right now but I am watching for it. I generally take the ignore it approach, but we have spoken of it in her presence too. Sometimes when she gets stuck it is nearly funny, so instead of letting her get to that frustrated point, I just giggle, then she does too. It breaks up the tension she is starting to feel. i don;t know if that is the "right"apporoach, but it is working for us.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.

User Tag List