Slow weight gain baby and now no weight gain for past 2 months (DD is now 12mos old) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
J2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
12 month old DD has decreased in the weight charts since she was 2wks old. She's never found her place on the curve, always declined. Until now, she always did gain weight, just slowly and not the amount she is "supposed" to gain. Until the past 2 months that is, where now she has not gained anything in 2 months. She is growing in length, but that is also decreasing on the charts each time we check. Her weight is now below charts and her height is at 10th percentile.

I know the charts are flawed. So looking at the WHO's chart she is a bit above 10th percentile for weight. But even on that chart she has always continued to decline, now to where she hasn't gained anything at all in 2 months.

Anyone experience anything similar? My Dr has been casually watching her weight for a while and I know she will say something at this appt. (we missed her 9mos well appt but she was there around that time for a sick visit).

Could this be normal and okay if her if no other signs point to something being wrong? She's happy, healthy, learning, developing well, etc.

Thoughts? And what are the tests they would want to do if they wanted to test if something was wrong? I go back and forth as to if I want things to be checked.
#2 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My kids gained at a normal rate (one at a fast rate!) but they ALL slowed down to a next to nothing rate around 10-11 months. They still grew, but soooooo much slower. It would be my inclination to not worry about it unless there are other signs of something else to be wrong.

Here are some numbers.
Baby 1. birth 8lb 2 oz 9 months 20 pound 12 months 21 pounds 2yrs 23 pounds.
Baby 2. birth 8lb 2 oz 9 months 28 pounds 12 months 30 pounds 2 yr 33 pounds

And, the BIG grower stayed really slow after that first year and is a very slim, healthy, tall 7 year old now. She is now 50 pounds. My older one is still skinny, kinda short, 55 pounds 9 1/2 year old.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 AM

My baby hardly gained any weight from 10ish months until recently at around 16ish months! I'd say she easily went three months without gaining any weight at all, maybe four or five. I didn't keep track, but every time I weighed her it was the same! She wore the same clothes this spring and summer that she wore at the end of last fall! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my LO and she's growing like crazy right now.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#4 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 PM

My DD didn't gain any weight between 6m & 18m. She was just getting more active & not interested in solid food. Her Dr. wasn't concerned, she said as long as she's hitting all her milestones there's no need to worry.
#5 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 AM

DD didnt gain waight from 9-12 months. then she gained three pounds from 12-16. SHes always been petite.... I'm sure your baby is fine!
#6 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM

DS was born at 8 pounds even, 21 inches. We don't do WBV (and see a ND), but he was 12 pounds by 3 mos. and 18 pounds by 9 months ... but he still barely breaks 20 pounds (he's maybe 20.5 after a big meal) at 17 months. Healthy, happy, developing well, and still grows out of his clothes (in height) so we're not concerned at all. He's just a skinny mini. Still hasn't tripled his birth weight, I figure he may do it by 2 because I'll be giving birth when he's 21 mos. and he'll probably pack on the pounds with the new fatty milk.

Don't worry! I'm not one to consult charts, I let my baby grow at his own rate. The charts just stress you out! As long as you offer healthy, nutritious foods and breastfeed on demand, I wouldn't have any concerns about slow weight gain.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#7 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 PM

A friend of mine had this happen with her DS. At 11.5 months they eventually tested him, and found out he needed adenoid surgery as he was using up all his calories just trying to breathe! As long as your child is going to the Dr, and you are keeping a close eye on him, I wouldn't worry too too much.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#8 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
A friend of mine had this happen with her DS. At 11.5 months they eventually tested him, and found out he needed adenoid surgery as he was using up all his calories just trying to breathe! As long as your child is going to the Dr, and you are keeping a close eye on him, I wouldn't worry too too much.
I agree. A lot of doctors and parents seem to have forgotten that they track growth because it can be a symptom of an underlying issue (medical problems, dietary concerns, neglect etc). As long as slow weight gain isn't the result of some particular problem, it's not something to worry about. Kids don't need to gain weight purely for the sake of gaining weight.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#9 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How's her height?

My DD stopped gaining and growing at 9m. At 12 months with no gains we decided to test her to make sure that everything was OK.

There are real reasons for kids to stop growing that range from that being their 'natural' pattern to there being an underlying health condition. One of those is something like a persistent low grade UTI. Others include low iron levels or another deficiency.

We chose at 12 months to do a full work up. We got urine collector bags that we used at home for a urine sample so there was no catheter. We also went forward with a small set of blood work. That was rough, but lasted for ~3 minutes and she was really mad at being held down and stopped crying the moment it was OK for me to stop restraining her.

What it came down to was that she was perfectly healthy and meeting all her milestones. We new that she was developmentally OK, but it was reassuring to know there was nothing "wrong" with her. Once she was cleared our GP was happy to just let her grow at her own pace.
#10 of 10 Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM

how active is she? was she an early walker/crawler? my dd weighed 2 oz less at her 12 month apt than at her 9 month. my dd started walking at 9.5 months, so she was very active and the slight weight loss was not suprising.

are you and her father on the small side? dd is now below the charts for weight and 10th % for height. but there aren't any worries because my husband and i are both small people and i know my mother was put through hell with me because i never grew 'according to charts'. i think genetics has a lot to do with our situation any way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page