16 month old in his own twin bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had success with putting a 16 month old in a twin bed of his own? My DS is a bed hog, and a thrasher. He nurses to sleep in our bed, then DH moves him to his crib. He used to sleep for a few hours there, but now we are lucky to get an hour! He moves a lot in his sleep, and in his crib he is always banging against the sides, and waking up. When he is sleeping in our bed, he will not sleep unless nothing is touching him..not me or DH, not a pillow..and he will thrash about the bed till he gets comfy.: However, I seem to be awake all night. DS still nurses, so sometimes he wakes up and throws himself on top of me wanting to nurse, then throws himself away from me when he is done, landing on DH. We have a king and it is not big enough!

So, DH and I were thinking of getting a twin bed for DS for his room, with very tall side rails on each side. DS's room is actually a small room off of our bedroom, big enough for a twin and a bureau, that's all. When he is comfy and able to move around a lot with out running in to anything, he seems to sleeps better.

Any advise?

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#2 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 PM

We moved my dd to a low rise twin bed when she was 18mo and she did great.

We do the same as you...nurse to sleep in our bed then transfer. She ALWAYS, since birth, slept better on a real mattress and never slept well on her crib mattress. So we skipped the toddler bed and went straight to a twin.

Dd also is a sprawler when she sleeps so i was arching around her and throwing my back out every night. This alleviated SOME of the problem. She still comes to bed with us....generally somewhere around 3-5am or so. It's a bit easier to get more sleep this way.

We put dd's twin bed up against the wall in two corners....then put a rail along the long open side. At the foot of the bed we put my nursing stool there (dd is too big for me to need it now) so she could get up on the bed easier.

Hugs...I hope you get more sleep

Christine
#3 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 04:11 PM

We moved DD to a full sized bed in her room when she was about 18 months old. It was pushed against the wall with a bedrail on the side. We all slept ALOT better! And I like the full bed because when she wakes at night I can just go lay next to her and put her back to sleep (and often stay there the rest of the night) Now her bed comes from the wall with nothing on either side (she is 21 months) and she has not had a problem (we just have the mattress and boxsprings on the floor - so not so tall)

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#4 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS was in his twin bed before he was one... he's a climber, and was ALREADY nearly able to get out of his crib. The crib wasn't working well anymore, anyway, since he wouldn't stay asleep for the transfer in there. Once he was in the twin, I could snuggle in with him to nurse him to sleep, and snuggle in again to nurse when he woke up in the night.

His bed was set up for close to a month before we transferred him into it. We used it for reading books and playing quietly, so it became a familiar place, before he spent the night in it (he may have had naps in it for a few days, before he went in it for the night too, I'm not sure anymore)

You *could* just use a twin mattress on the floor, until he stays on it reliably through the night, and then set up the bed. DS has a siderail on his bed, and he seems to think it makes it safe for him to JUMP on the bed! I hide it in his closet during the day.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#5 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We move our kids to thier own bed at about 12 months. For #1 it was a toddler bed, #2 was a twin bed and #3 was full bed. We never used rails with the second two and didn't have any problems. Both were low to the ground. We have always had a problem with Lily getting out of bed ad wandering but Ava actuallly stays and plays contently until i come to get her. If she crys her bg sister (the wandered) crawls in with her and sushes her back to sleep (too sweet).

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you replies!

MinnieMouse; I also seem to be sleeping in some weird positions, trying to give DS his space. Sometimes my arms fall asleep, and I wake up feeling stiff and sore. I think more than anything this is why I'm not getting the sleep I need.

Graceoc; It had not even occurred to me till you mentioned it that I could just go to DS and lay in his bed with him if I need to, if he wakes and wants me. I was trying to rock and nurse him in the rocking chair on our room, but I was so tired I felt like I would drop him!

HomebirthHarriett; DH mentioned to me he wants to start with the bed on the floor, again, it was something I had not thought of. I was picturing a bed on a frame and was hesitant to have DS that high up.

lilyka; My DH actually wants DS to be able to get out of the bed himself and come into our room if he needs us! Now, when DS wakes up, I wake up DH and he goes and gets DS and brings him to our bed for the night. Like I said, DS's room is a small room off our room, like an alcove, so DS would not have far to go.

Thank you again! Our main reason for trying to get DS into his own bed now is because we are TTC #3. The second I get pregnant, I get totally exhausted for the first trimester. If our sleeping arrangement stays like it is now, we will all be miserable due to lack of sleep.

#7 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you have a hard time getting him to sleep in his own bed, you could try a mattress on the floor next to your bed, ans edge it over bit by bit over a few weeks/month, until its in the alcove.

When he first moved to his bed, I responded to DS immediatly when he woke up (like when he was a newborn) Even though by the time he was 1, he *could* wait a few minutes for me to come (He generally said "Mommy!", and I could tell him I'd be there soon, without him getting upset)

I was just nervous about him being in a different bed, (it was a bigger deal to me than to DS) but it helped him to be more comfortable.

If you do start him out in a bed with a frame, or when you lift the mattress onto one, a nightlight (light on in the hall, dimmer switch) will hepl keep him from getting disoriented when he's waking up (I forgot to leave Rolands' light on once, and he walked right off the end of his bed!!)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#8 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 03:20 PM

We moved ds to a futon mattress (double size, no frame) in his room at 14 months, for same reason--he was (still is) a major thrasher and no one was sleeping! We'd put the mattress on our floor if there were room, but there wasn't. We used a bed rail even so, just because I pictured even the 3-6 inch "fall" from futon to floor to be painful if it happened. We also started by spending the entire night w/him (we switched off since there wasn't room for all 3 of course), so that it wasn't a transition from co-sleeping to alone right away. After about 3 months, we stopped spending night w/him, and he did fine! We just lay down w/him until he falls asleep and then leave. If he needs us in the middle of night, he calls, and then one of us lays down w/him for the rest of night or till he falls back asleep. At 2.5, he only wakes up once a night 1-4 times a month (that is, some months never, some months it's about once a week). I highly recommend the futon or mattress on the floor, esp. since he is a thrasher/restless sleeper. Good luck!
#9 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh yeah I guess we wanted Madeline to come into our room herself too. I forgot that. Ava is just o low maitenence that I forget. Then there is Lily who is almost 4 and wanders around constantly. Not an issue when she was a baby but now it gets annoying. We would find her all sorts of places in the morning.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#10 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I was hesitant at first about the idea of DS waking up, getting out of bed and walking to our bed. I mean, he's a baby!

So, DH says : "He's a toddler, he can walk the 15 feet of straight line just fine" :LOL

He's right, and I think DS will like having his own big bed.

#11 of 11 Old 02-12-2004, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just chiming in! My ds is now 19 months and sleeps in a twin that is a bit off the floor- not up on a box spring but dh put a board on the frame so it's on that, a few inches off the ground. Works great as I can lay next to him to get him to go/fall back asleep.

I started by just putting a crib mattress on the floor (I found a use for it finally!)when he was around 12mos, and we just switched to the twin two months ago.

I've been going crazy lately becuase when he ends up in our bed, I have to sleep in weird positions and I end up so crampy and achy in the morning........sigh

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page