My 15 month old is potty training! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my son I started putting him on the potty just to introduce him when he was 14 months. I was very inconsistent with it because I was pregnant. He went whenever he was put on it but I wouldn't always take him because I felt sick. It stayed inconsistent because of dealing with a new baby but at 2.5 I wanted to be done with it so I went cold turkey to underwear and he was fully trained in a week. With my daughter I got out the little potty again 5 days ago and put her on it first thing in the morning. She peed, I cheered, it was neat. Fast forward to yesterday. She starts asking ME to take her to the bathroom. She comes over, crouches down and say pffffff (I have no idea what that means!). So I take her and lo and behold she went. I don't even have to remind her anymore, she asks to go when she needs to go. She is even pooping on the potty too (it is so nice not having to change those poopy diapers!). I am just so amazed at this! I didn't think a 15 month old was capable of truly knowing when they had to go, I was just starting to introduce her. She has only had two wets today in her diaper and that is only because I didn't get her there fast enough because they were just small wets. She has peed on the potty 5 times and pooped once. All with HER asking to go! Is this common or am I right to be so amazed by this???

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm pretty amazed by it! But then, we don't even own a potty, so I have no idea if my 18 month old would "get it" or not.

Moving this to Toddlers....

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM

I have heard of this, but I guess it's pretty rare. I was wondering about it though bc my dd (13 mos) already says "Poo?" when she goes and when we change her diapers. So...although I hadn't planned on it, it's nice to know that it might be possible that early!

Peace.
#4 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet68
Well, I'm pretty amazed by it! But then, we don't even own a potty, so I have no idea if my 18 month old would "get it" or not.

Moving this to Toddlers....
Are you saying you don't have a little training potty or you don't have a potty at all? If not, where do you go?!!!!
#5 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 06:25 PM

Our ds decided to start using the potty when he was 16 mos. It was so strange, he didn't even talk yet, but he was using the potty and was accident-free by 18 mos. We had trouble finding undies small enough!
#6 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

I am inspired.
#7 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 08:01 PM

It is common. Check out the EC forum.

I tried EC'ing the twins, but it was just too much work for me. If I have another baby, I'll definately EC him/her.

edited to add that just because I believe all babies are capable of this doesn't mean I don't think you are awesome for all of the effort you are putting into this- your baby is benefitted. Seriously do read up on EC before you have your next child, you might want to try it.
#8 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 08:12 PM

How inspiring! My oldest dd 2.5 years just started potty training about 2 weeks ago. She is doing great. My youngest is very interested in what big sis is doing. She is almost 15 months, maybe I will try it with her. Thanks for sharing.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#9 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 10:23 PM

Wow! I'm jealous! DD just turned two and wets a lot . . .she's pretty good about going poo in the toilet, which I'm grateful for, but I'd love it if she learned to pee consistently in there! Once I stop working in a month or so, I will be able to devote my attention to just DD instead of splitting it with 3 kids, so maybe I can focus on that more with her.

I don't know if it's common or not, but even if it is, it doesn't diminish what your DD has done! Just like walking is an expected occurence, it doesn't make it any less exciting when it's your baby!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 11:06 PM

Lucky you! I'm fairly certain that my son would go on the potty (he's done it in the past) but a)our potty is too big and I can't find a Baby Bjorn one anywhere and b)I can no longer bend over my belly . It's painful to squat for too long. So I'll probably just switch to underwear after the New Bean arrives, and see what happens (if I can find them small enough for his mini-buns)!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#11 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 12:30 AM

I am so inspired by this thread. I told my husband I wanted to start potty training our 13 month old and he yelled at me (okay not yelled) but said GASP! She is just a baby. I am going to buy a baby bjorn potty this week.
#12 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 01:01 AM

For those interested in trying, I'll share what happened in our house.

First, dh and I were always open about doing our bathroom business in front of ds. It was all very matter of fact. We talked about what was happening to our bodies and stuff. He became very interested. When he had a poopie diaper, we let him flush and wave bye-bye to the poop as it was swirling away. We made up little songs about it and said silly things.

We got a potty. We played with it. We put it in the living room. We let him practice sitting on it like a chair in whatever room he had dragged it to. He watched some TV from it. We let him take it apart and put it back together.

By the time we moved it into the bathroom he was very comfortable with the potty. It was not a new scary thing and it was not intimidating. It was just a groovy thing to party with, and one day he decided to sit on it and pee. And he thought it was cool, and we thought it was cool, and we were on our way. There were quite a few oopsies early on, but we just let him run around with "nakie buns" and he got the hang of it.
#13 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Great news! It can work...DC was totally out of diapers at 21 months. Started around the 18 months. Good luck.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#14 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM

My 15 mos old is potty learning, too. I posted a questionbout this a few weeks ago and someone gave me some ery good advice about how it is better to start early beofre it becomes a control issue.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#15 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 PM

I see IdentityCrisisMama posted that they started with the potty with their 18 month old were out of diapers by 21 months. Now, I have been thinking about starting with my 15 month old, but now I am not sure. With my oldest she was 2.5 when I said do you want to start using the potty, she said yes and from that day on no diapers. She's had about 4 accidents. I almost think I should wait, because then maybe she would be out of diapers right away. Any thoughts?

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page