Which Britax? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WE just bought a new (to us) car and dp says I can splurge on a Britax to go with it.

Sophie is 30 lbs.

She is currently in a *mumble* car seat cause it was all I could afford, AND, all I could find that fit solidly into my old car.

Where should I go, and which models do y'all like?

I don't know if it matters but the new car is a '01 Volvo wagon with LATCH.
#2 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 04:33 PM

If you can swing it I'd go for the marathon it's wonderful. Very comfy 5point harness up to 60lbs forward facing 33lbs rearfacing and taller then the roundabout so taller kids won't outgrow it if thats an issue with you. We had it in a Volvo S80? I don't know I'm dumb about cars and it was rock solid like shake the car when we tired to budge it. I love our britax's best money we ever spent on baby/kid things
Janessa

edit to add we've hate it in several suburus, a mazda protege and MPV hmmm thats it I think and everytime it installs quickly and solidly the only problems we had was that it had to be outboard positions for some of the cars.
#3 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 04:37 PM

My Sophie is in a marathon. I wouldnt get the roundabout has she will outgrow that first. The marathon is just a fabulous seat with a weight limit of 65 pounds.
#4 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

It's a uh...uh...*goes to check* a V70.

#5 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 04:55 PM

We love our Marathon. I would hesitate getting a Roundabout/Advantage because the lower harness heights will be outgrown too early.

That said, if you can, I encourage you to try DD in a Wizard. It is the same carseat as the Marathon (rfacing 33 lbs/ffacing 65 lbs appx 49 inches) but it has additional side impact protection. DS freaked out and refused to even sit in that seat, though. I have heard that the newest models of the Wizard have decreased the side foam giving the child more head space.

They really install rock solid and I think you will be happy with any Britax you choose. I have heard rumors of Sam's Club having them for $160 and Costco for $150--- if that is true, a great bargain!

Good luck!

#6 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I went to Buy Buy Baby, (yes, that's really what it's called, can you credit it?) and sat her in a Wizard. She sat for about two seconds than started whinging. I don't think she'd do well in it.

She seemed to like the Marathon.

Can you buy extra covers?
#7 of 15 Old 02-11-2004, 09:15 PM

yep they are about 40 dollars at britaxusa.com I think. But sometimes go as low as 20 for outdated prints. We have an extra cover for both seats makes life so much easier.
Janessa

edit for link http://www.britaxusa.com/
#8 of 15 Old 02-12-2004, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks you guys. We're on our way to Costco for a tan one at $150 and I ordered a Foofy cover from the link, so we have two covers and we're up $50. .
#9 of 15 Old 02-13-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Oh man, bad news, none of the Costcos near me are carrying the Britax anymore.

I don't know WHAT we're going to do now.
#10 of 15 Old 02-14-2004, 12:34 AM

I got my Roundabout brand new on Ebay. Check them out!

She is a petite little one: 20 months old and 19lbs 9 oz! She is still rear facing and fits ok. We really like it!

Good luck searching!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#11 of 15 Old 02-14-2004, 07:18 PM

We're another happy Marathon family. DS outgrew a baby bucket carseat by the time he was 2 months old and outgrew an Evenflo seat by 18 months. I was determined not to have to buy another carseat so we got the Marathon after hearing how great it is for tall children and it really is!

DS is around 39 inches tall and still has tons of space in this seat with a couple slots (I think) still higher than his shoulders. If only I'd paid the extra money for this seat when he was wee. *sigh*
#12 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 05:54 PM

We bought the Wizard when it first came out (in fact had to wait until it was released for shipping) and dd has had no problems with the side impact wing things. Although I can understand how it mihgt freak alot of kids out. We love it and are happy that we spent the money on it!
#13 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 08:04 PM

We have dd in a Roundabout now, but I think we'll get her a Starrister when it's booster time - about 6 pounds. (Roundabout is rated to 40, Starrister from 30-80).

We were going to get the Marathon, but it is much more expensive, and the Toddler Bargains Book recommends the Starrister based on safety and price...

but we haven't actually *seen* one in the flesh. So I can't say for sure.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#14 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 09:54 PM

we have two Roundabouts, one a shower gift, another a $35 steal (eat your hearts out, fellow bargain hunters!) at a local 2nd hand shop. I'm happy with both, and dd sleeps very comfortably in either. have you tried Amazon.com $199 Britax?

in fact, heading back from teh doc's, in teh Jeep through snow and ice, she slept in her Britax in the front. sure, she was pooped, but i credit the comfort of the seat as well for her being able to sleep in a Wrangler in full 4wd mode.

(pic taken last September)
#15 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidspalding
we have two Roundabouts, one a shower gift, another a $35 steal (eat your hearts out, fellow bargain hunters!) at a local 2nd hand shop. I'm happy with both, and dd sleeps very comfortably in either. have you tried Amazon.com $199 Britax?

in fact, heading back from teh doc's, in teh Jeep through snow and ice, she slept in her Britax in the front. sure, she was pooped, but i credit the comfort of the seat as well for her being able to sleep in a Wrangler in full 4wd mode.

(pic taken last September)
I hestitate do say this maybe its just the picture but it really doesn't look like your dd's harness is tight enough in that picture. You should only be able to only fit two fingers at the chest clip. I love that cover print though but my dh doesn't he can be a bit of a stick in the mud lol

Janessa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page