Snack ideas for a 22mo old! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost two year old won't eat anything

She's been on this hunger strike for quite a while, and it has gotten worse. She has a doctor's appointment in November for a weight check so I'll bring this up there, if it doesn't get alot worse than it is.

She will eat a few things.. Cheese, but only sliced american cheese (if it's not yellow she won't even THINK of touching it!), clementine oranges, and the marshmallows out of hubby's lucky charms. Oh, and small-cut-up hot dogs. We had a much healthier diet until I began searching up and down for things to give her, so this is what we've resorted to. She won't eat meat, she won't do veggies either. Actually, if it's cooked, with the exception of the hotdogs, forget it. She will eat fruit, but it really depends on the day, otherwise it is only oranges. MAYBE apples. She will eat the sausage off of pizza, but no more than 5 or six pieces of the sausage.

What the heck can I do?! She also cannot stand getting messy. The second that spaghetti sauce, or anything else gets on her, forget it. No more eating the food, and she screams for me to clean her up.

I'm feeling kind of at a loss because the options are just getting unhealthier and unhealthier.. so please, if you can, help me out!!

ETA: Despite her food strikes, she has maintained her weight, but since she's tall, she appears skinny, so we do take her in for periodic weigh ins. Currently she's 36" tall and 28-30lbs.

ETA#2: Forgot to say... I've tried the "make the food cute" thing.. smiley faces.. stars.. etc. This kind of results in her being afraid to mess it up, OR her thinking that it means it's okay to play with food since I've so obviously made her meal decorative.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 24 Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 PM

I wonder about a sensory issue. Check our sensory issues and food. A child with this problem can be very difficult to feed.

How about nitrate free hotdogs?

I would stick to what she likes and add one small bit of something she may or may not like and you don't care if she eats it. Say, you don't have to eat that.

So serve up sliced cheese with some hot dog and oranges....and whole wheat noodles (like 4) or hard boiled egg.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#3 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 AM

What if you include her in the cooking? Would she maybe eat something she 'made' herself????

I did that with DD and pizza with a good result.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#4 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried freeze dried fruit and veggies? I know most stores sell Gerber ones but if you find something she likes, you can get 'em cheaper (and in larger tubs) at Whole Foods. DD also likes frozen vegetables (peas, corn, edamame) as a snack.

I assume you've tried stuff like Goldfish crackers? What about Veggie Booty? I think it looks gross but DD thinks it's awesome.

If the ultra-cleanliness thing has been going on awhile, you could consider whether sensory issues might be in play. DD was always an oddly cleanly child, would freak out over getting dirty or wet, and she's definitely a sensory child.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#5 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 08:45 AM

I feel your pain. My son doesn't like getting messy either. He likes these pouches:
http://www.plumorganics.com/for_baby_pouches.php
He never did purees, but I started getting desperate and tried them a few months ago. I really like that you can get them with veggies in them.

You could also try cubed ham since she likes hot dogs.
#6 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM

How about smoothies and things to drink with a straw? You can add protine and veggies to a smoothie easily.
#7 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Smoothies are great. If you add in a handful of spinach, some fruit, and protein, then it can be very healthy.
Dd is the same age and she likes to dip. Hummus and organic ketchup are big around here. Last night she even ate a whole salad because I gave her a small amount of ketchup to dip it into!
Good luck!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#8 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Great advice from pp.
I don't stress over what my child eats or doesn't eat. I feel it's my job to put healthy food on the table and her job to eat what she wants of it. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat eventually. Over the course of a week or two, it's balanced enough. And, yes, I have an at times picky eater. :-) That said, I do try to include foods I think she might like at most meals (nothing too spicy, pasta once every few days, etc., orange slices, etc.). With DD sometimes we are offering something to her many many many times before she'll eat it and discovers that she really likes it.......
We also have DD pick a new fruit or veggie to try from the food store once every few weeks, and have her help prepare it.
I also put a wet washcloth or two at her place so she can wipe her own hands clean when they get dirty/messy without yelling for me to do it.
That said, and I'm not an expert, but I think kiddos start to eat less from 2-3 years old bc they aren't growing as fast as they were in their first year to 18 months of their life.
Good luck!
~maddymama
#9 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 PM

I frequently use the Dr. Sears idea of a snack platter using a mini muffin tin. I have a cute silicone muffin pan that's bright red, and fill each cup with a different snack. So one cup might have cheerios, one cubed cheese, one grapes, one cut up muffins, etc. Then we just leave the tray out while DD's playing and she wanders over, has a bit, and has more later. Usually the tray stays out for an hour. She rarely eats everything, but it gives her a lot of variety. You could put different things in every other day for variety.

We also eat at regular times throughout the day, so I know if DD hasn't eaten much at one meal or snack, there's another chance to get some healthy food in in another couple of hours!

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#10 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone

Rowansmama (Megan)- I'm going to walmart today and am going to pick up a tray like that, and try it out. That's such a great idea!

maddymama- thanks I've tried to keep a damp cloth next to her plate, but she gets far to interested in wiping down her high chair tray, the table, her spoon, or whatever else she finds to wipe. I kinda just have to let her yell at me every time she gets a drop of whatever on her hands.

leighB&patchchild- I'm also going to try some smoothies, I saw something on the Discovery Channel yesterday, a lady with quints who wouldn't eat anything with veggies or anything with protien. They plopped tofu in it and they seemed to love it. DDs protien intake is also really worrying me.

rugbymom- thanks She actually likes ham in a lunchmeat form if I roll it up for her. I do worry about the sodium content, nitrates, etc., but like I said, it is to the point where I'm pretty desperate!

Aufilla- MIL has given DD some dried stuff and she's really liked it. Might pick some up DD also has a thing with cold foods.. she won't even eat ice cream. I love frozen peas myself though, lol!

Violet2- DD never really wants to help, but she usually is by my side and I show her what everything is. Doesn't make too much of a difference to her though.

purplemoon- thanks I've always wondered about a sensory issue (the getting messy thing, the cold foods thing, she used to refuse purees and we started finger foods at 7 months). I'm going to speak with her doctor about this as well. thank you.

It has been very difficult to feed her.. today, I got her to eat a small piece of pound cake from the bakery.. she usually doesn't like anything too bread-like, but I figure it's SOMETHING. She also takes a vitamin daily without a problem, it's just hard to get her to take it with food or juice, KWIM?

Thank you very much everybody! I'll keep you all posted

#11 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 03:44 PM

The thing that I always think of in terms of toddlers & food has to do with time I've spent in other countries. In very underdeveloped areas with only, say, beans, rice & tortillas available, toddlers eat... beans, rice, & tortillas. I know this is a stupidly obvious thing to say, in a way. But I mention it mostly because with my first I think I "tried" way too hard. It's really rare for humans to intentionally starve themselves - there are complcations like sensory issues that are real, but often I think as parents we can make pretty big power-struggles with our kids over food.
Again, I think I did this with my first. This time around w/DD2, I've more just tried to put whatever we are eating available for her. If she eats it, fine, if not, fine. I don't even necessarily watch her or respond (like Good Job!) when she does eat. She seems to eat much more than dd1.

I would worry that making marshmallows & pound cake available, other things aren't going to seem as attractive. Also, I remember hearing that some kids need many exposures to a new food - so don't write one off because she refused it one day. My 20 month old definately eats totally different foods on different days. Keep making little pieces of new things available. (I'd still stay away from sugary things.) I don't think she'll starve herself. Let her graze on healthy finger foods all day, IMO, not just in the high chair.

Good luck!

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#12 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamabutterfly I've tried that approach, and tried to stick with it, but she really won't eat what we're eating. I'm just at a loss with her.

This morning I tried alot, eggs, homemade pancakes, hash browns, I just tried to offer it to her and leave it at that. No interest in it, whatsoever. She sits and pushes it around on her plate with her spoon, or points to the different things and tells me their names. I feel that I'm wasting so much food and my DH can only eat so many leftovers!

She just doesn't seem interested in eating what I have to offer her. She does get hungry- she has her own body clock and climbs into her high chair when she's hungry, even though we do have a pretty much set eating schedule. I've tried to adapt our eating schedule to her hunger cues, but she's just hungry so often because she refuses to eat when we offer food, be it in or out of the high chair. This all started when she hit a year old, about. Before then she was a terrific eater, she'd eat whatever was in front of her. Cooking was easy, because she'd eat it, no questions asked, no whining, no begging, no plate untouched at the end of the meal.

I'm going grocery shopping today, so I'm just going to pick up a bunch of stuff to experiment with her on.

I'm just worried because she is hungry so frequently and asks to eat so frequently, but when food is offered- she doesn't eat it! I know this can't be good.

It's also very difficult because I'd like her to be able to eat the same meals that we do. I don't want to every night make a "special dinner" for her, I want her to be able to eat with us as a family. I don't want to spoil her into thinking she can do as she pleases, but I don't want her to starve either

#13 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM

That sounds frustrating, sorry. Hope it is just a brief phase.
Does she still nurse or drink milk?

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#14 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 AM

I'm going through the same thing with my 18-month-old right now. He's never been a great eater. He does eat smoothies, though - that's my fail-safe food for him, and I can add wheat germ and veggies to them. What proteins do you add to smoothies? How would you add tofu to a smoothie - does anyone have any smoothie recipes with tofu? And my son loves pouches - I'll look for the Plum Organics ones. I'd really like to make them myself... any suggestions for pouch-like containers that a toddler could roll up and squeeze like the store-bought pouches?
#15 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
I've tried to adapt our eating schedule to her hunger cues, but she's just hungry so often because she refuses to eat when we offer food, be it in or out of the high chair. This all started when she hit a year old, about. Before then she was a terrific eater, she'd eat whatever was in front of her. Cooking was easy, because she'd eat it, no questions asked, no whining, no begging, no plate untouched at the end of the meal.
This sounds a little like my DS. I have been hesitant to wean him because of reading threads like this. I'm thinking he is more of a grazer because that is the way he nurses. Just a quick nibble, then he gets distracted by something else and off he goes. I keep offering him bites to eat throughout the day, especially when he is in his car seat or stroller and he eats a little. He is turning 2 tomorrow and just in the last couple weeks started adding new foods. I’m not sure if this is age related or because he isn’t teething at the moment.
Old Favorites:
•Hotdogs, and just about any kind of sausage. I also look for the nitrate free kind, same goes for lunch meat and ham (which he won’t eat yet).
•Dark meat chicken.
•Taco night: I mix the refried beans with the hamburger add some cheese and roll it up in a tortilla or scoop it onto chips. He will out the meat but maybe your DD will like this presentation. Or you could try frying the burrito for chimichangas.
•Messy foods: DS refuses to wear a bib, likes to paint. If we are having a meal that might stain his clothes I will try feeding him with a fork or spoon. We also play games with the fork/spoon like choo-choo train or airplane etc.
•Spaghetti night: I pick the hamburger out of spaghetti sauce, wipe it down with a paper towel first. Serve it with spaghetti noodles in butter or olive oil, salt and pepper.
•Using a cheese grater: grated apple and cheese. Or I will buy foods with a similar texture: steamed matchstick carrots and French cut green beans. Cutting the sausage in long spears is also a fun way to mix it up.
•Whole apple, he especially likes to carry it around for a long time and slowly nibble.
•He likes to eat food out of the palm of my hand, he just puts his face down on my hand and licks up the food.
•Sushi rice: take any kind of short grain rice, even short grain brown rice, and increase the amount of liquid to make it sticky. I like to have it sticky enough to form rice balls. For variety cook it with broth.

Recently he added pears, broccoli, hummus and peanut butter, all things he had refused before but just decided to try. I give him new foods when I am eating them anyway then he sees me eating them and wants to copy me.
#16 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

mamabutterfly- I was unable to nurse her because I had a ton of complications I wish I had, I sort of tend to blame that fact on everything that may slightly be wrong with her.. To answer your question though, she gets a cup of milk in the morning, after breakfast (I usually give her a bit of water or watered down juice with breakfast, she usually doesn't touch that much either though), and she gets another cup of milk in the evening before she goes down for bed.

poopus- not sure about the pouches, but about the tofu, they sell it in different consistencies. I'd imagine that you'd use silken tofu, not the extra firm chunky kind

twinergy- thanks a ton, I'll try some of your suggestions. DD won't go for the messy stuff or for the whole apple (I've tried it with her.. when she feels she's "done", after a few bites, she decides to play "basketball" and throw the apple into the garbage can- only her aim isn't too great, haha!

#17 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 11:01 AM

My DD's favorite snacks are craisins, cheese and crackers (she has to put the slices of cheese on herself), cheese sticks, organic yogurt tubes (or cups), apples, bananas,

I know it's easy for me to say this, but a lot of things your DD is eating I simply would not have in the house. American cheese, lucky charms... as a PP has said, unless you daughter has sensory issues, I don't think she will starve herself. Providing something similar but better-- real cheese, maybe some veggie/fruit puffs (like the gerber ones) that look like the marshmellows-- might help her, I don't know.

My DD will eat almost nothing sitting at the table with us. She eats SO slowly that by the time we're finished she's barely getting started. However, if I leave her sandwich/pasta/snack on the coffee table, throughout the day it disappears. I almost never see this happening, but it all goes away (and I haven't found any under the sofa cushions yet ) She also tends to eat pretty well if she is distracted by something else-- watching home video or talking to her Nana on skype, for example. Probably reading aloud would also help her. She will often finish up her entire breakfast while having her daily chat with my mom on videocam

She's also one who will eat almost anything if she has something (ketchup, hummus, etc) to dip it into.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#18 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately, I've got a husband with unhealthy eating habits.

#19 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 PM

I just had another idea: wonton wrappers with various things inside then fry them. They would be easy enough to make ahead then serve for snacks. This may solve the messy foods dilemma too by keeping it contained. Plus the extra fat from frying may help boost her calorie intake. I'm going to put wonton wrappers on my grocery list, anybody have ideas for filling?
#20 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 PM

re: ideas for fillings.... one of the Food Network chefs (Giarda, maybe?) filled wontons with nutella and then fried them up........ unhealthy and yummy looking. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it sounded sooooooo delicious!
~maddymama
#21 of 24 Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 AM

Re: the wontons: you could put minced chicken inside, like the filling of those chicken lettuce cups you can get at Asian restaurants - it's ground chicken with mint, coriander, garlic and peanuts, I think, although I'd leave the peanuts out.
#22 of 24 Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

The wontons are a great idea!

Um, I might try the nutella thing for me

#23 of 24 Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
The wontons are a great idea!

Um, I might try the nutella thing for me

Maybe add some chopped hazelnuts to the nutella filling.

Some other ideas:
peanut butter
applesauce and cinnamon
cream cheese
pizza
breakfast
burritos

You could also get creative folding and rolling the wonton wrappers in different shapes.
#24 of 24 Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post

My DD will eat almost nothing sitting at the table with us. She eats SO slowly that by the time we're finished she's barely getting started. However, if I leave her sandwich/pasta/snack on the coffee table, throughout the day it disappears. I almost never see this happening, but it all goes away (and I haven't found any under the sofa cushions yet ) She also tends to eat pretty well if she is distracted by something else-- watching home video or talking to her Nana on skype, for example. Probably reading aloud would also help her. She will often finish up her entire breakfast while having her daily chat with my mom on videocam
This is my DD too. Echo needs to be distracted a bit and have TONS of time to eat. I would suggest changing the eating environment from her high chair to somewhere else and see if that works. Echo begins her meal in her chair and she barely picks at anything. Then we let her down and I let her eat at her own pace.
She is a non-eater too and it IS effecting her weight gain - at 20 months she is just barely over 20 lbs. I've noticed that she doesn't like to self feed, so I follow her around and put things into her mouth. I find this ridiculous, like most others would, but it is called for in our situation. Just like letting your little one try eating away from the table???

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page