Mothering Forum banner

the mysterious nature of toddler socks

496 views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Drummer's Wife 
#1 ·
I mean, really... where do they GO???
I just (like 2 weeks ago) bought 6 pairs of new socks and ALL of them, except for two unmatching ones, are gone! Disappeared!
They are really quite mysterious creatures in their habits, these socks. I mean, what are they all doing together? and where?

#2 ·
Dude, I wonder this all the time

I go on sock buying binges, and each time I promise myself that I will keep all of them in check, and BAM! They are gone, all of them.

Sometimes DD wears socks 2 days in a row until we buy new ones. Thank goodness for dollar store packs!

#3 ·
I think I've finally licked this problem. I bought some of those little mesh bags at the dollar store and keep them in my son's hamper. When I take them off, they go right in the bag which goes into the washer and dryer. Voila! I open the bag and ball all the pairs of socks!
Yes, I'm proud of myself

#6 ·
I think they go to the far side of the moon.

Who cares if toddler socks match or not? As DD1 says "Life is too short for matching socks." She buys multi-packs of socks, all the same size and style but in assorted colors and/or styles (at least two of each design.) But she won't wear them as pairs- she purposely matches up a purple sock with a red one, or a green and white stripe with a green and white check, etc.

#7 ·
I buy lots of new pairs for this reason. With four kids, there are way too many mis-matched socks to deal with!

Target has the circo brand ones (which I like) for $1. I tend to buy a ton of the same color (right now it's mostly gray) because I don't want dingy white socks, and they are easy to sort from older ones still in rotation.

#8 ·
When dd was a baby I put her in the carseat with her socks on. When we got to our destination, one sock was off and I could not find it anywhere. We eventually sold that car without ever finding the missing sock.

I now buy packages of socks from Target, so I know I at least start off with 12 socks that have a buddy. So far, I've been able to keep all 12 that I bought in August, but I know this is a minor miracle in and of it's self.

#9 ·
I also have problems with missing mystery toddler socks, and with 2 toddlers with nearly the same size feet who like to wear nonmatching socks and then swap socks with each other i have totally given up on ever having matching pairs... I like the idea of buying all the same colour - I think I might just bin all the random socks we have left and start again with lots of identical pink socks

#10 ·
I was losing socks too, then they magically reappeared. I have a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and the rubber gasket on the door is the perfect trap for socks. This also solved the mystery of why my washer was smelling even though I left the door open all the time.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I buy lots of new pairs for this reason. With four kids, there are way too many mis-matched socks to deal with!

Target has the circo brand ones (which I like) for $1. I tend to buy a ton of the same color (right now it's mostly gray) because I don't want dingy white socks, and they are easy to sort from older ones still in rotation.
I do the same, but with socks from The Children's Place. And I've done 10-12 pairs of brown all at once, because they match most of DS clothes and shoes (and he doesn't look good in grey, lol, even if it's on his ankles!). In the summer, I bought only 6 pair, and a fun turquoise blue, because he wore socks less often.

I'm proud to say we still have all 10 pair from last winter - and they're in remarkedly good shape, waiting for a FIN from HH to claim them. (along with other things, of course!)

And, it makes it SOO much easier to pair up the socks when every sock makes a pair with every other sock.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
I do the same, but with socks from The Children's Place. And I've done 10-12 pairs of brown all at once, because they match most of DS clothes and shoes (and he doesn't look good in grey, lol, even if it's on his ankles!). In the summer, I bought only 6 pair, and a fun turquoise blue, because he wore socks less often.

I'm proud to say we still have all 10 pair from last winter - and they're in remarkedly good shape, waiting for a FIN from HH to claim them. (along with other things, of course!)

And, it makes it SOO much easier to pair up the socks when every sock makes a pair with every other sock.
I also have at least a dozen of the dark brown children's place socks - how funny
Then I have about a dozen gray gymboree, and tan gymboree (which I don't like nearly as much as TCP socks). My thought was one color for each of the three boys, but as it turns out they can pretty much fit into each others socks just fine, so I almost wish I had bought all one color... that's when I started picking up the target ones since they are only a buck and stretch big enough to fit the 6 yo's feet (but will fit the 2 yo if need be.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.