shortest balance bike? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 2 1/2 and we want to get her a balance bike for Christmas but she is really short. We tried her on the Skuut the other day and it was way too big still. Anyone know the best one for a really tiny kid? I may have to wait until her birthday next summer, but she is really hoping for a bike for Christmas.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Strider Bike
11" from seat to ground. we got it for my DS for his 2 year b-day and he rode it on the smallest setting from day 1. He's also not tall (he was in 18-24 mo. clothes at 2 years) So, she'll probably be able to ride it. It is also very lightweight and she'll be able to easily handle it.

Strider Bike
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Haro Z10 (last bike on page) -- 10"

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 AM

nice to know there is an even shorter one in the same price range.
But, there is no foot rest. In the beginning I wouldn't have even noticed, but now after almost a year, I realize how much he uses it, even to the point of standing up and riding that way.

But, those Haros are very cool lookin'.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 AM

We have the Haro (Canadian version, anyway, under the Norco brand name). Like it a lot! She's never used a foot rest so she doesn't miss it lol...

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 AM

I noticed they have the Z12, which looks like it'll fit my almost 3 year old. He needs/wants a pedal bike now and most pedal bikes are WAY too big and heavy for him. I gotta check that out.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 AM

Was looking at these online today...but they seem a bit pricey

http://tykerider.com/bikes/early-rider-bikes/

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
Old 11-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Another vote for Strider. We got it because it was the shortest one I could find easily. The Haro had to be ordered by the bike shop, the Strider is sold by enough places that I could shop around for the best price (found it on clearance for about $60 shipped!)
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! DD is also still in most of her 18 month clothes at almost 2.5, so glad to hear other little toddlers were able to do a bike! Can't wait for Christmas!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Yup, Strider. My 20 month olds were riding it.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any other input on this? I'm in the search for a bike to fit my 26 months old DS.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 AM

We have a Strider.

DD looooves it!

We got it for her second birthday and now she rides it relentlessly and fearlessly! DD is very petite; always in the 5th percentile for height and weight and she fit the Strider just fine. I think you'll find that while the listed seat height is 11" it goes a tad shorter.

Anyway, here she is. And sailing down a hill.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM

DD is 33" tall with an almost 11" inseam...it's between 10.5 & 11" right now. We went to all the stores in the area to try whatever bikes they had in stock which included only 12". We really, REALLY wanted to try the Haro Z10 in person somewhere to see if she was comfortable because on the others, she was too small, got scared right away & wasn't interested in even trying to see if she could sit on the seat. On the Specialized brand 12" w/ the seat that they sawed off part of to show parents it can go lower, we did get her to sit & she was so tippy toed which I could tell she didn't like at all.

One shop in our area can order a Haro but they are making it seem like we would have to buy it if they ordered it & would have to pay the shipping so it would come to $115 ish. I am hesitant because we can't get her on a 10" anywhere to try out.

So it sounds like folks are saying the Strider seat goes low enough for an 11" inseam to sit with feet flat? And you were able to see one in person somewhere?

We have 2 shops in NYC (We are in Northern NJ) to try & call to see about a Haro Z10 but I would like to see about trying a Strider in person as well.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

We haven't seen a Strider in person but after looking at the website and doing some research, we're going with that one. Can't wait to see her face on Christmas!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 PM

Made a ton of calls this afternoon & found a local shop who has the Haro Z10 so we can go try that out. I emailed & called Strider to find out if there are any retailers in Northern NJ/NYC-hopefully they will get back to me soon.

I am torn between knowing that Haro has a better reputation than Strider when it comes to actual build & ability to last through more than 1 child combined with it's slightly smaller size VS the footrest on the Strider.

I might have to post a thread asking just about the footrest feature & how impt it is to everyone...

Hmmmmmmmm

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Stephanie, just posted a reply to your other post. The shortest we found was the Early Rider, which we couldn't track down anywhere in our area. Here's a good post from a mountain bike forum my honey frequents that may be of help to you. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=512502
Old 11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
L J

I got the Strider for my son's 2nd birthday. His inseam at the time was 10.75 inchs, and he could ride it immediately with it adjusted all the way down.

I HIGHLY recommend this bike, and the company. When our bike arrived (purchased from an online retailer, not directly through Strider) one of the wheels had a "weird" spot. Contacted Strider customer service, and they sent a new wheel out immediately, even though they said the spot on the original wouldn't affect function. It did not, in fact, affect the function, but they told me to keep the other as a spare, no charge. Not even for shipping.

My rough boy and his friends have abused this bike, and it still rides as if brand new. I think its a good one.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
Made a ton of calls this afternoon & found a local shop who has the Haro Z10 so we can go try that out. I emailed & called Strider to find out if there are any retailers in Northern NJ/NYC-hopefully they will get back to me soon.
The following are dealers listed within 10 miles of Verona, NJ:
Bicycle Tech - Lincoln Park, NJ
Heino's Ski & Cycle - Pequannock, NJ
Cycle Craft - Parsippany, NJ
Bicycle Source - Pompton Plains, NJ
Diamond Cycle - Montclair, NJ
Allwood Bicycles - Clifton, NJ
Clifton Speed Center - Clifton, NJ
Bike Pad - Hawthorne, NJ
Sam's Bicycles - Elmwood Park, NJ

The website has a dealer locator. I wish you weren't so far away! I would let you try ours!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 AM

We got dd this one for her 3rd birthday. It was the smallest one we could find for our tiny girl. It has a footrest, but I can't say anything about it because she never really got into riding the thing. I'm hoping she'll use it more next summer!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Thx ya all!!!

ShyDaisy-I called every single Haro from that list & a couple in NYC. The NYC stores put me on hold & never came back to the phone....grrrrr. I decided I wasn't willing to give them my business after that. hehehehe. The shop closest to us (Diamond in Montclair) told me they would have one of the owners bring his son's in & that they could also order it. We made an "appt" with them, showed up & everyone acted like they didn't know what I was talking about & all they had were 12" ones in stock & of they ordered anything, we had to take it. Yesterday, I did get a great guy at another shop that is only 20 mins or so away who said no prob-they would order the pink Z10 & if we didn't want it, no worries, he could sell it.

I wish we lived closer to! You have been so helpful with the Z10

Old 11-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
Yesterday, I did get a great guy at another shop that is only 20 mins or so away who said no prob-they would order the pink Z10 & if we didn't want it, no worries, he could sell it.

I wish we lived closer to! You have been so helpful with the Z10
That is awesome! I am glad you finally found someone that would work with you. It really bites that all of those other bike shops refused to work with you. Good customer service is really a novelty these days, and that is sad.

I wish that they would be more proactive about educating about balance bikes. When I take my son to the park (or a fair or anywhere really) to ride, people stop me constantly to ask how old he is, and where I got the bike, and to tell me how cool it is -- he is so small and people are amazed at how well he can ride. It is funny though, they "see" pedals because they expect them to be there -- it is entertaining to see it cross their face when the realize that it doesn't!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:25 AM

I found a local bike shop that carries Haro, but not the Z10. My 2yo's inseam is about 11", so I think the 10" bike should be great for him. This shop will be calling Haro to find out about the Z10 (she really seemed to know nothing about it), and will let me know then. But since they don't carry it, I'd have to pay in full, in advance, with no refunds if it doesn't work. UGH. Not exactly the most friendly policies, I must say.

But, I really like the idea of a better *quality* bike over the Strider (despite the lack of footrest, being a bonus on the Strider). Especially since he's just a little over 2 and will likely use it for 2-3 years.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

But, I really like the idea of a better *quality* bike over the Strider (despite the lack of footrest, being a bonus on the Strider). Especially since he's just a little over 2 and will likely use it for 2-3 years.
I've heard/read this sentiment before but I'm curious what's so lacking in quality with the Strider?

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 11-28-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
I've heard/read this sentiment before but I'm curious what's so lacking in quality with the Strider?
I'm only reading reviews at places like Amazon, and have no first-hand knowledge. One common complaint I've heard is that the handle grips tear easily and are, perhaps, rather cheaply made. But, one person called Strider about it and got a new set in a new style, which is perhaps an upgrade? I don't remember the other details now, and have been hoping to have my DH (former bike mechanic) look at the specs of each to see how they compare. Now, though, I'm trying to figure out where I had seen reviews of the Haro!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I'm only reading reviews at places like Amazon, and have no first-hand knowledge. One common complaint I've heard is that the handle grips tear easily and are, perhaps, rather cheaply made. But, one person called Strider about it and got a new set in a new style, which is perhaps an upgrade? I don't remember the other details now, and have been hoping to have my DH (former bike mechanic) look at the specs of each to see how they compare. Now, though, I'm trying to figure out where I had seen reviews of the Haro!
Yeah, I was just wondering if I was missing something regarding the Strider.

We actually have one, think its wonderful, and just plain love it all around. We got it in July and DD has ridden every day since then, and not always very gently either, and it still looks brand new. They are soooo nicely built and I love how lightweight it is.

So that's why I felt bewildered.

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
Yeah, I was just wondering if I was missing something regarding the Strider.

We actually have one, think its wonderful, and just plain love it all around. We got it in July and DD has ridden every day since then, and not always very gently either, and it still looks brand new. They are soooo nicely built and I love how lightweight it is.

So that's why I felt bewildered.
Awesome! That is great to hear! I assume, then, you've had no issues with the grips or other components?

I just came across this review of the main bikes out there, which I saw when looking for one for my 5yo's birthday in September. For him, we ended up with a Trek balance bike that can have the pedals removed/replaced when needed. It's been fantastic, even though it was a little tall for him. DH put his pedals on Wednesday, and he rode it again today, totally independently! It's an awesome bike, but obviously WAY too big for my 2yo!

I am torn as to what to get for the 2yo! I was looking at the Likeabike Mini (goes under 11"), but, YIKES! $300+ for a balance bike?! I can't figure any way to justify that. Yet I trust it's excellent quality, unlike my wavering over the cheaper alternatives.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM

We have a Strider that we got a few months ago and I was similarly confused. We haven't had any problems with it whatsoever and our son carries it all over the place, rides it in the house where he rams it into walls, down hills in our yard, etc. We also got it for less than $100, including shipping.

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Soooo...the Haro Z10 we ordered came in at one of the cooperative/customer service oriented bike shops & we brought DD over there to check out the size. To recap, she is 33" high with an approx 10.5" or 10.75' inseam...

With the seat at it's lowest, she was able to reach the ground from a sitting position. I truly don't believe she would be able to do it with an 11" bike (Strider).

There was an issue though...for the 3rd time trying a balance bike in person, she got very upset when we tried to get her on it & cried. Threw a mini fit. And this one was finally one just her size. She actually pointed where the pedals would be & said "pedals?". We couldn't believe it. She has had very little trike exposure (our neighbors & niece) but immediately recognized the missing pedals. She refused the balance bike & went to the kettler trike next to it & was thrilled to be sitting on it. She puts her feet on those pedals but can't do anything else. She then saw a 10" trike & went to that one as well. But still-no way she could pedal it.

We purchased the Haro & are thinking that on christmas day, at home, with no other bikes/trikes to look at, she will "accept" it. One thing that is awesome is the shop said if she really hates it & it is a reasonable time after christmas with no wear on the tires, they will take it back. We planned on her learning it inside anyway so we felt much better about the purchase after that.

She also LOVED the 12" Trek Mystic real bike (adorable bike for a little girl!!!) & the guy was saying that within 6-9 mos of balance bike use, she would most likely be able to ride that (with the training wheels at 1st maybe) since a real bike's pedals are right under the seat as opposed to a trike which is out in front & actually further away. I love the idea of her learning on the Haro & then when she is big enough, moving right to the Trek or something similar. I really hope the balance bike works for us!!!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:56 PM

I also read a few of those reviews on Amazon & honestly our Strider is very well built. My DS has been everywhere in his bike & there is no sign of any wear or tear on the handlebars or the wheels. I almost didn't get the bike b/c of the few bad reviews but I'm really glad I did. DS loves it & I feel we got him a quality bike that will last a long time.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 12-01-2009, 03:44 AM

ellairiesmom, so glad you found a shop with great customer service! Wow! I was not too thrilled to be told that we'd have to pay in full, up front, and have no option for returns. Eek! Seriously, what kind of service is that?!

I hope she'll love it on Christmas day! We have Trek bikes for our older boys and they are *great!* The Mystic is very cute! Our 5yo just went from pedal-free on his Trek Float to using the pedals and being totally independent on it. He'd only been on it as a balance bike for 2.5 months of light use, and he's really too short for it, but it only took two days out to master it with pedals! Amazing! I see your DD is almost exactly the same age as my DS3. I hope they'll both have a great experience on the balance bikes!

While looking at options, I came across the Raleigh Lil Push. It says it has 12" wheels (but one site says Strider does, too?) but looks like a very small frame compared to other 12" bikes by the same manufacturer. I'm told by a dealer that it has a 10" stand-over height, but now I'm concerned that they may NOT mean seat height, which is important for a balance bike (where you're trying to touch the ground while seated, not pedals that are higher up).

So, I'll be checking on that again tomorrow. If that's out, we're down to the Haro Z10 (hard to find around here, at least with decent service), Strider, or a more expensive option like the Wishbone. I still need to have my DH look at the specs on all of them.

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike
User Tag List