18 month old menu? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you feed your 18 month old all day?y child has become so picky. Like, he'll eat pureed carrots, but not cut up steamed carrots.
I have a lot of consistency issues with certain foods, so I think maybe he does too. He used to eat a whole "tree" of broccoli, now he spits it out. His diet is mainly any kind of fruit, oatmeal or waffles in the mornings, pizza (sometiems he'll eat it, sometimes not), yogurt and yo baby drinks, some beans if I mash them up, bread, bagels with butter and jelly, peanut butter. Dr Praegers broccoli burgers.

He won't eat rice, pasta, meat, chicken or eggs at all. There are a few things he'll eat pureed or mached, that he won't eat whole. I am running out of ideas for healthy foods. When he started solids, my goal was to give him the healthiest, most nutritious foods, no junk. Now, I find myself giving him anything (to an extent), just to get him to eat. He's so skinny. He still nurses a bit, but he's just so small.

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 AM

My lo is kind of a picky eater too and spits a lot of stuff out(although she's getting better)
have you tried soups? When my lo would eat nothing else she would always go for a bowl of soup. I make mine with meat and vegatable and grains and then add sour cream, so if she eats a bowl of soup she's getting a good does of nutrition.
I also did a lot of fruit and yogurt smoothies when she wasn't eating much she always did pretty well with those.
Other than that, I just rotate between
grains(kashi, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, couscous),
meat(every kind),
vegetables(she'll only eat peas and brocoli and grean beans),
and fruits(every kind. I cut the oranges out of the membrane. Also dried fruits like raisins and prunes soaked in warm water)
dairy(cheese yogurt and sour cream). Aside from soups my lo rarely eats a full course meal in one sitting so I have to keep offering food throughout the day.
have you tried boiling the meat? My lo who spits out a lot of things loves meat (especially chicken) if it's boiled and chopped fine or slightly mushed.
Also, have you tried cooking vegetables in chicken broth? It seems to really make the flavor a lot better.
What else...
of course there's the old Joe's o's and their multigrain crackers are not too bad...
And butter. And peanut butter. Which she will only eat as is without the bread.
Some tricks I use to get my lo to eat is giving her something to eat while she's in the carseat(I don't know how other people feel about that, but she's such a captive audience, not running around) or strollar.
Also, I let her peek into the frigde whenever I open the door and she always asks for something and i let her take bits of whatever I'm cooking.
I don't know if that helps.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:54 AM

DD is pickiest when she's teething like right now but for he eating depends on which way the wind blows. Introduce something new and it takes her a few days to get used to it. Normally for breakfast she has oatmeal with blueberries, little flax meal and dash a cinnamon. For a snack a cup of yogurt wit almond sprinkles. She loves Happy Toddler Food Mac and Cheese pies and she gets that with a little tomatoe sauce on top or a side of veggies. Her favorite thing is grilled cheese sandwhiches. The mac and cheese pies she'd eat everyday if we gave them to her.

She won't eat eggs though. I'm convinced she doesn't like them but it could be the way I prepare them. She'll eat them in the faux chicken fried rice I prepare but not alone. Loves almond butter. She used to love butter nut squash but now she refuses to eat it. She loves yogurt but sometimes I give it to her she tastes it and shakes her head no for more. LOL. I wonder if I was like this as a kid. I eat everything.

User Tag List