Mothering Forum banner

Best car/track or train/track system for almost-2yo

660 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kristac 
#1 ·
DS is obsessed with cars and trains. I know nothing about the toy options here (DD liked cars but was focused on their visual qualities only--like, she wanted an apple-green new Beetle toy car or a red Mini). He is not yet 2, so pretty young, but he spends a ton of time pushing and racing his little Matchbox cars around.

I think his fine motor skills are slightly above average, but I am concerned that most track systems will be too tricky for him to use. He does enjoy the train table at a local bookstore a lot, but I don't think that's in the cards--too $$. I can't go in for the whole Thomas thing at this point, either. I am looking for a full set that's under $50.

I've been looking at things like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-7...ref=pd_sbs_t_2

I do prefer things that don't make noise, though!!

#2 ·
We got Thomas trackmaster for DS when he was about 23 months. It took a while before he would stop stomping on the tracks, but I guess they are reasonably well make, because none cracked.

Maybe not as nice as some wooden train sets, but much cheaper and the motorized aspect thrills DS to no end. I think we bought the starter set for around 50 bucks or so (some track, accessories and one or two trains)
They don't make noise per say, just the sound of the motor going.

Hours of fun.

We add on to it as we can afford, and there are some good deals on used trackmaster stuff on ebay. My whole basement is pretty much one big train set now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.