Considering Miralax--Any last ditch advice on toddler withholding poop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is doing so well with pling except for poop. She's been holding it in.

It used to be she would poo in her diaper during her nap or at night. Now she holds it all the time.

Yesterday she seemed to lose control and pooped some in her pants. She was VERY upset about it.

She now eats prunes with every meal (we increased it to encourage pooping). Lots of beans too. So her diet is poop friendly.

I've also done some gentle abdominal massage and 'talked' to her belly about needing to poop. That hasn't worked for a week.

I'm considering getting an RX for miralax.

Are there any other tips you can throw at me though before I email the ped?

Thanks
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#2 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 AM

Hi Violet. First I wonder how old your daughter is? My daughter will be 3 in January and she hasn't had issues withholding, but we've had some issues with her peeing and pooping in her pants. The past 2 weeks however (fingers crossed) what has worked really well is bribery. I know it's not for everyone but for my situation, it's definitely better than the cleaning situation. I offer her organic candy or chocolate. I also have a good friend who has a bag of tiny matchbox cars and she literally holds them in front of her son and tells him when he poops on the potty, he may choose one, so he pushes those poops right out into the potty! I don't know if these ideas appeal to you, but I would try them before medication. Also, I've always brought my daughter to the bathroom with me (part of being a single mother) and if she's interested, she looks at the poop in the potty and flushes for me, which seems to be a reward in itself. She loves to flush after she uses the potty, so maybe building up that excitment could help too? Another thing, at this point your daughter might be sensing your concern and not understaning it, and may still be withholding. One other thought that might help, if your daughter will drink it, you could try some ginger or peppermint tea (with honey or sugar, if you like). I know these help with digestion, but I'm not sure they're specifically for helping the bowels move. There are also teas sold specifically for children and there may be a tummy tea. Oh! One last thougt (I promise this is the last one, maybe the best!) Have you taken her to a chiropractor at all? It's amazing how muscles and joints are connected and can affect normal bodily functions, but we see a chiropractor regularly and I definitely notice a difference in myself and my daughter. If she's gone a couple days without pooping, it never fails that she has a nice poop not long after being adjusted. I wish you the best of luck and health for your family!!!

Single mama Ruth

Ruth-single mommy to Maya 01/12/07
#3 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

DD is 2 so bribery is a bit complex for her. I coax her to sit on the potty for longer periods with a popcicle and doing 'letters' on Starfall.com.

I'm going to run out to the store today for some supplies, look for a gentle stool softener.

If I have time and she'll sit still, I'll give her a full body massage which I've done with other toddlers. That always seems to induce poop.

The thing is, she is actively fighting the poop now and working to hold it in.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#4 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Epsom salt baths. Magnesium draws water to the bowel and softens the stool. Magnesium also relaxes the muscles involved.

Sodium Ascorbate powder, dosed to bowel tolerance.

Drink lots and lots and lots of water.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 AM

I gave DD syrup of figs with senna to help her go. She had developed an anal fissure which was hurting when she went, then holding to avoid the pain, which was making her poops so big and hard that when she finally DID go it would re-open the fissure.

I gave her 1/2 the recommended dose, as i was leery about using senna on her when she wasn't yet 3, but it worked fine, loosened her up without giving her the runs, and i used it for a few weeks (gradually reducing the dose) until the fissure was healed and she wasn't scared to go anymore.
#6 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 AM

My daughter went through a period where she held her poop. She was 17 mos old at the time and I was very pregnant with my 3rd child. So it was a control issue for her. She withheld pooping for such long periods that she would have very hard poop that was difficult to pass. She had repeated problems with fissures also. We tried everything we could... but ended up going in to see the doc when it was very apparent that she was completely full up but just could not go at that point. We saw the nurse practitioner, who I just adore, and she recommended trying the Miralax. We did see good results not too long after the Miralax... unfortunately her diaper just could not contain that much!

So while I usually do not medicate my kids... we never had any issues with Miralax and did use it periodically for my daughter when she was having problems. I will suggest to be cautious about the dosage. I tried the full dose 1 time and poor daughter had liquid poop several times after that. The recommended dose from my NP was 1/2 T - 1 T in 8 oz of liquid. She told me to give her 1 T to start with b/c she was so backed up. After that I never gave her more than 1/4 T. It's easier to give them a smaller amount and if it doesn't work within several hours then give a little more.

HTH,
Beth
#7 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well the stool softener I bought is a bust. It tastes awful and DD won't touch no matter how much juice I use to hide it.

How is Miralax administerd? Does it taste bad?

V

#8 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM

In liquid- no taste at all.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#9 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We used Miralax with DD. She was constipated almost as soon as she started solids and it just got worse and worse as she learned that she didn't like pooping and didn't want to do it. So then she'd hold it in and only go after she fell asleep and relaxed her bowel control. Diet changes never helped and we could never get more water into her than she wanted to drink, so we did eventually give in and use Miralax. We used it about 6 months to soften things up and help her forget her fear of pooping.

It's OTC now but you might want to ask your ped about the appropriate dosage for your child. It's tasteless and you stir it into a drink.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#10 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Miralax was a godsend for us. Ds was in a bad cycle....withholding, then demanding a diaper, very painful, awful. We used to take him to the playground after dinner, in a diaper, to coax a bm. He wouldn't touch any laxatives, and diet wasn't enough. Miralax is tasteless, and it works really really well. It really helped us get out of the nasty cycle ds was in.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#11 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 PM

I haven't had a chance to read the replies, but we are also in the same boat and have found Oxypowder to be effective. It contains magnesium, but for some reason, magnesium alone wasn't as effective. As long as we give it daily, it has been helpful and more natural than Miralax.
#12 of 15 Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Well she finally pooped with the laxative I gave her. I used a suppository today.

My concern is that she's got a knot of hard stool. I don't KNOW that she does, I just worry because all her poops have been unusually runny for the last 2 weeks.

But then again, she had 3 tubs of prune puree today. That can make things run too.

I found the Little Remedies stool softener that tastes like chocolate. DD likes it so we'll use that for now and another suppository if no poops in 2-3 days.

Also Miralax is OTC???? Where?????

V

#13 of 15 Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 AM

miralax was a godsend for us. We had a daily, 3 month regimen for our toddler and she has been regular since.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#14 of 15 Old 11-17-2009, 05:09 PM

I hear ground flax (which can be sprinkled on toast or hidden in tons of things) works wonders?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#15 of 15 Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I hear ground flax (which can be sprinkled on toast or hidden in tons of things) works wonders?
This is what we use for constipation, in addition to prunes and cutting back on dairy. Good luck to you and your LO!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page