moms who never nightweaned: when did your kid stop night nursing on their own? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm considering whether to nightwean or not -- DD is 23 months and wakes to nurse once or twice per night. Honestly, I don't mind it all that much -- it would be great to sleep through the night consistently (she does so randomly about once every month or two), but the nighttime nursing feels pretty surviveable to me.

But I'm curious: for those of you who never took any action to get your DC to nightwean, when did the night nursing stop? I realize there will be HUGE variation from kid to kid, so I'm interested to get a sense of the range of what happened for others.

Thanks!
#2 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious about this too. DS still wakes once in the night and once in the wee hours of the morning to nurse. He's 10 1/2 months old and I would love to know about child-led night weaning.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#3 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM

DD started sleeping through the night at 21 months, that's when she nightweaned. She still nurses to sleep (2 years 2 months) and nurses upon waking (and various times throughout the day). But if/when she night wakes now, I won't nurse her back to sleep. She honestly hardly ever wakes up at night anymore, and cuddles and kind words put her right back to sleep.

It is perfectly normal, developmentally and physiologically correct for a 10.5 month old to nurse at night.

At 23 months, it's most likely a comfort thing, and if you're okay with it, no biggie.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#4 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM

#5 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM

It was a little after DS second birthday when he stopped waking me for milk. It was a gradual petering off. We would go a few days with no waking and then a couple days of milk once or twice a night. We shared our bed then and I did start to encourage him to wait until morning just after his second birthday. He was totally fine with it & would fall right back to sleep.
#6 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM

DD is 2.5 and she mainly just nurses at night now... although she seems to be moving away from it because my milk is almost gone (I am pregnant).

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#7 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 PM

DD is almost 2 and I can't remember when she stopped, but it seems like we've been sleeping through the night for a while now - maybe around 18 months? Lol, I'm a lot of help.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#8 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM

We were at about 2.5. I was working on it, but not too seriously. I am pgs and supply was really low except for first thing in the morning. One night he started sleeping through the night all on his own. Feeding him more right before bedtime really helped. About 3 months later, he's completely weaned.
#9 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM

DD1 was 3 when she stopped waking up to nurse, DD2 was 2. DD2 still didn't sleep through the night, she is 3 and we aren't there yet, it just meant that she stopped asking to nurse at night.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 07:56 PM

I'm also wondering about this....DS is 14 months...he goes to bed at 8, and sleeps with 4-5 wakings until 12 (during these I will take him out of crib, nurse him while hes sleeping, and put him back), at 12 he ALWAYS wakes up, and wont be put to bed without me, so that is when I usually go to bed, and transfer him from crib to the bed, with me....and then he will nurse...I don't know how long and how many times...I just know that my hip aches from being always in the same side position, my nipples get sore, I keep waking up throughout the night because he wakes up as soon as the nipple is not in his mouth, yes, it IS getting a bit too much too handle....every morning I find myself at the edge of the bed (he sleeps next to the wall), because I'm apparently running away from him in my sleep, and he keeps pushing towards me.....You guys seem to be doing pretty great! I would ideally love him to self ween, but don't know for how much longer I'll be able to support this....if anyone has any ideas, please do share....
#11 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafisica View Post
....and then he will nurse...I don't know how long and how many times...I just know that my hip aches from being always in the same side position, my nipples get sore, I keep waking up throughout the night because he wakes up as soon as the nipple is not in his mouth, yes, it IS getting a bit too much too handle....
BTDT, it was at about that age that I started setting limits on night nursing. I would let them nurse when they first woke up, but I wouldn't let them sleep nursing. There are lots of articles online that discuss the Pantley Pull-off which really helped me get much more comfortable sleep. Now I just tap on my breast right near their mouths and whisper "all done" and if they roll over great, if not I give them a couple more minutes. Sometimes I don't even have to remind them, they just unlatch and roll over on their own. But if they are teething, I give them extra time.
#12 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 PM

My ds is 25 months old and still nurses throughout the night, but in the past month or so I've started putting some limits on it. I usually agree to nurse 2 times during the night (I wouldn't limit it if he was sick though, or really upset for some reason). Otherwise if he asks I say that "nursing has a boo boo" and that I will give him a snuggle instead. This came about because I was recently pg (ended in a mc unfortunately) and during that time it would sometimes hurt to nurse so I would have to say that I wasn't able to nurse right then because of the "boo boo".

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#13 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 09:51 PM

My DD is 33 months and still nurses at night. I've been wondering this, too, but it sounds like my kiddo is older than the age most kids nighteweaned on their own.
#14 of 26 Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
My DD is 33 months and still nurses at night. I've been wondering this, too, but it sounds like my kiddo is older than the age most kids nighteweaned on their own.
Well, I'm glad you're here, because I'm the original poster and was starting to think we were the oldest! In reality I know we're not, but it's good to have company.

I don't know, this whole thread is making me think maybe I should institute some gentle efforts away from nursing at night... we'll see.
#15 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
DS will be three in 11 days..... and still wakes up 2 or 3 times a night to nurse... we have tried nightweaning, a couple times, but just not worth the hours of being up crying, everyone cranky the next day.... some day he'll sleep, right?

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#16 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 AM

DS is almost 19 mo and I've been wondering as well. I'm glad you started this thread! He was only nursing 1-2 times a night and sleeping really great, then the 18 month sleep regression hit early, and lasted about 2 months. Well I'm not even really sure if we're not still in it. He had a few amazing nights and then got a cold, then a stomach bug right after, and he's well now but I can't tell what's what anymore. Used to be I could wait for him to pop off and be done nursing, then roll over with my back to him. Then about every other time he'd go hunting for nursies, I'd just pretend to be asleep and he'd give up and keep right on sleeping. Not NOW! If I take 5 seconds to respond he's starting to whine and cry. If I try to wait him out, we'll both wind up laying there awake for 1.5 hours (before I finally cave and nurse him). He's been working on his molars for MONTHS so I can't tell if it's teething discomfort, still the sleep regression, or just him being rotten.

As soon as the basement gets finished (in a few weeks if we're really lucky) we'll be moving bedrooms down there and he'll finally have his own room. I THINK that once he's in his own bed and I'm not close by, he'll stop needing to nurse so much, barring the initial adjustment period. I certainly hope so because I've been running on sleep deprivation nearly as bad as the newborn phase lately. Something needs to change soon because I'm SO tired and to be woken up every 1-2 hours all night long makes me so upset. The other night I hit the wall at the head of the bed a few times to vent it. I'm ready to be a well rested patient mommy again.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#17 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
DS will be three in 11 days..... and still wakes up 2 or 3 times a night to nurse... we have tried nightweaning, a couple times, but just not worth the hours of being up crying, everyone cranky the next day.... some day he'll sleep, right?
This is how I feel right now too. I'm sure that if we stuck to it, night weaning would work eventually...but right now I do not have the reserves necessary to go through that. Much less sleep and I've have to be committed as it is.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#18 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 AM

DS will be 3 in January, and nurses once in the middle of the night (sometime between 3-5), and once in the early morning (an hour or so before we wake up). Every now and then he skips the middle of the night one, and I bet it will head in that direction as he gets closer to 3. Things were very rough for us between 2 and 2.5 as he was getting his molars, but we fell into this pattern after that. It seems like there is a wide range of normal. I told myself that if things didn't get better after the molars were in I might do some gentle nightweaning, but they did, and I'm glad I waited.

Wendy, mama to Benjamin (1/4/07) :
#19 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 AM

I never nightweaned my nurslings. They slept through the night when they weaned altogether. I mostly just sleep right through most nighttime nursing sessions. My daughter is 27 mos old and only recently (recently found out I'm pregnant again) has her night nursing really bothered me, but she's also getting in some molars so for a bit there it felt like she was gnawing instead of nursing.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#20 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
exactly! My little is 4 now (still nursing but not at night) and it does stop. Some little ones just need extra time KWIM?
#21 of 26 Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM

I'm so glad for this thread. I have been debating night weaning my 26 month old son for a few months. I have also wondered when he will give it up on his own and that it might be very gradually moving in that direction. The pattern for months has been only waking twice a night to nurse, and I'm fine with that, I feel well rested enough. But lately he has been waking every hour or two, all night long and asking for nummies. I just read the Pantley book, and have already done some of the gentle weaning techniques, naturally at times. However, I tried the other night to not nurse him at all, and it didn't go very well. He did end up falling asleep again without, but by morning I was reall really tired. I meant to stick with it last night but he woke every two hours, asking for nummies and I just coudn't keep saying no. So I nursed him, and felt much more rested in the morning. He is also a little sick, stuffed up, not sleeping well, and maybe working on molars? I just don't think it's a good time to try and nightwean. Maybe we'll revisit it later if I still really want to. If he would sleep from 10 pm or even midnight until six or seven am, I don't mind nursing him to sleep or in the morning. And daytime of course. But since it's not usually like this, maybe I can wait until he stops on his own.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#22 of 26 Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM

My DS night-weaned just before he was 1. Sometimes he wakes up once during the night, but usually he sleeps through the night and nurses when he first wakes up.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#23 of 26 Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 PM

My son was about 19 months when he night weaned. He showed no indication of stopping, in fact he was still waking between 2 and 5 times every single night. And, boy was I tired! Then one night he just stopped. I was about 4.5 months pregnant at the time and my milk had changed, so that probably contributed… But he continued (and still does!) to nurse regularly during waking hours.

mama to four
eliza jane 7.07 :: henry cale 8.07 :: naomi penn 7.09 :: simon otto 12.11

#24 of 26 Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 PM

Jude is 15 months. I'm glad I found this thread. I am no where near getting enough sleep. It seems like most were still night nursing at this age though.

joy.giflurk.gif

#25 of 26 Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 PM

My experience is not the norm but at 35 mo old DD1 asked to sleep in the twin bed we just got (which was going to be for daddy in the same room). My response "are you sure?" LOL (I planned on co-sleeping for awhile until she was ready to leave the family bed...didn't expect it at 3 yrs old though). So....she nightweaned, slept through the night (for the 1st time in her life!) and started sleeping in her own bed all at the same time. She had been waking every 1-2 hrs to nurse at night too. And just like that...she did all of those on her own! AND she was a different child during the day because she wasn't waking to nurse anymore...she got much better sleep (and so did I).

Next time, I think I'll encourage nightweaning if I felt my nursing toddler (or I) would benefit since my experience w/ DD1. (ie-looking back it was me sleeping close to her that encouraged her all night nursing).

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#26 of 26 Old 11-21-2009, 11:16 PM

DD1's night weaning was quite gradual. I never did any night weaning techniques with her. Sometimes I would wear a shirt to bed (I normally slept topless) and/or sleep part of the night with DH between us to discourage all night sleep nursing, but I never set limits on her night nursing.

Around 20 months she started sleepng through on random occassions. By her birthday she was sleeping through frequently. We went through a few periods where she would suddenly start nursing 3+ times a night for a week or so. It would last a few nights, maybe about a week, and then she'd go back to sleeping through more often than not. By around 26 months she pretty much always slept through or snuggled back down without asking to nurse.

She also slowly quit nursing down to sleep. First she'd nurse, and then unlatch, roll over, and snuggle with DH. Gradually the nursings got shorter and the snuggling longer, until she started not nursing at all at bedtime pretty often.

She nursed for the last time the week she turned 28 weeks - it was a bedtime nursing session. I had done a bit of discouraging nursing in the middle of the day hoping that if we could get about 8 hours during the day while she was busy, then I would be able to get pregnant. I had no intention of weaning her, or even night weaning her. Sure enough, DD2 was conceived a few days after DD1's last nursing session! About 2 weeks later DD1 asked to nurse again and had forgotten how to latch. It felt quite sudden to me.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page