Feb 08 Mamas, It's nearly Christmas! (Dec thread) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
It's the 3rd and I can't find the Dec thread, and there isn't a link at the end of the Nov thread, so I hope I'm not doubling up.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#2 of 130 Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Okay.
So Adam and Trixie and I went to South California for a wedding then to San Diego to take Trixie to the zoo and Sea World. Oh my, it was hard work! But she had so much fun. When we got to the zoo I was bending over tying my shoe and she turns her head upside down to look at me and says "mama, tigers pees?" So cute!
She loved the whales at the sea world, so we bought her a plush one and she runs around making it "SPLASH!"
I am so in love with her. I wonder how it will be possible to love 2 kids this much. Although I trust I will, it's gonna be amazing!

The babies in my DDC seem to be doing fine, yay!

I go in for my 3rd tri ultrasound today to make sure that this babe is growing well and has lots of fluid. I"m a little freaked that they'll bed rest me. ACK!

Rynna.... if you were Canadian you could do those conversions as a child.
hee hee... okay maybe not, but as a child I remember learning some quick ones, 10C is 50F, -40F is -40C, 40C is 100F, but we did learn to do the conversions. It often lead to a conversation as to why such a messed up system, but we do love our metric!
And YAY for turkey success! I started brining my birds a few years ago and that with not stuffing them (making the dressing seperate) I've had the most amazingly moist birds, yumm! This year at Christmas I'm thinking of trying to salt my bird, not brine it, so you seperate the skin from the bird and rub a lot of salt on the meat and then sit it over night and then rinse the salt off, (leaving the skin on), but you won't be able to impart some of the other flavours. Hmmm.... (okay I think a lot about food )

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#3 of 130 Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Howdy ladies...

31 weeks and counting...*knock on wood* this is our last and I'm so ready to be done with the pregnancy part.

My grandmother died on Sunday. 4 person/funeral in my family this year. I'm definitely done with death this year.

Work is going well although I'm feeling the push to go on FMLA. I need to see how long I can take and make it feasible financially. I'll be 35 weeks on January first. If I take the full 12 weeks (I'm pretty sure thats it) starting then that should be plenty of time for birthing baby and having sometime after baby before going back? Its all so mind boggling...

Well I need to go get showered and ready for my midwife appt. and then go to the airport and pick up my cousin.

God willing DH will have the house in some semblance of order when I get home.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#4 of 130 Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Okay.
So Adam and Trixie and I went to South California for a wedding then to San Diego to take Trixie to the zoo and Sea World. Oh my, it was hard work! But she had so much fun. When we got to the zoo I was bending over tying my shoe and she turns her head upside down to look at me and says "mama, tigers pees?" So cute!
She loved the whales at the sea world, so we bought her a plush one and she runs around making it "SPLASH!"
I am so in love with her. I wonder how it will be possible to love 2 kids this much. Although I trust I will, it's gonna be amazing!

The babies in my DDC seem to be doing fine, yay!

I go in for my 3rd tri ultrasound today to make sure that this babe is growing well and has lots of fluid. I"m a little freaked that they'll bed rest me. ACK!
How fun! DH always talks about the SD Zoo and how he's sad we didn't go when we lived in that half od the country! Sounds like Trixie had a blast! GL on the ultrasound! Sending good vibes your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Howdy ladies...

31 weeks and counting...*knock on wood* this is our last and I'm so ready to be done with the pregnancy part.

My grandmother died on Sunday. 4 person/funeral in my family this year. I'm definitely done with death this year.

Work is going well although I'm feeling the push to go on FMLA. I need to see how long I can take and make it feasible financially. I'll be 35 weeks on January first. If I take the full 12 weeks (I'm pretty sure thats it) starting then that should be plenty of time for birthing baby and having sometime after baby before going back? Its all so mind boggling...

Well I need to go get showered and ready for my midwife appt. and then go to the airport and pick up my cousin.

God willing DH will have the house in some semblance of order when I get home.
Sarah Lynne, good to see you. I"m so sorry on your loss. You have had so many losses this year. I'm sending some special thoughts your way. May you and your family find peace.

FMLA, I guess it depends on how work's going for you. I was all for staying as long as I could, but money was really tight, and I knew I'd be late as all getout. I believe you get a max of 12 weeks. Seems like so little, doesn't it?

I've decided I'm not going to come in here and vent all my toddler troubles on you, it seems like I always do that, but you are all wise women who have great answers and I guess that's why.

I will share with you DD's latest things. She's becoming a jokester. She learned that "aah-choo" is a sneeze, and she calls nursing "ah-ah." So yesterday when I picked her up after work, I was nursing her, and she popped off and said "ah-ah-choo!" and snickered! My little word player, heh. She's also into fake burping, making a mock embarassed face and saying "tooo mee" (excuse me). She thinks burps are hysterical and is completely addicted to Shrek (I believe the two are connected). Every day we're home, she wants to watch "Princess Fiona" (sometimes she calls them Princess Donkey, Princess Dragon, Princess Shrek ). I'm ok with that being her favorite movie, at least Fiona can sure hold her own.

signature currently in transition
#5 of 130 Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Sarah Lynne, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a hard year you have had. I hope that 2010 holds promise for a better year for you.

As for FMLA, gosh, 12 weeks isn't long. Taking off early means you risk having less time with babe if you go late...hard decision. If it were me, I would probably try to work as long as possible. That, and I would go bonkers just waiting! But if you need to stop work earlier - you definitely have a physically more demanding job - than do what your body needs. Good luck making the decision!

Dea, your trip sounds fun but exhausting! Glad Trixie had such a good time.

Teeny, DD does fake burps, too. And talks about poop CONSTANTLY. "Mama, I poop soon. A poop is coming." She also likes to go through and list everyone she knows who poops. "Mama poops. Dadah poops. Gamma poops. Gampa poops. Dom poops. Gamps poops. Ashey poops. Et poops. Beth poops. Tucker (the dog!) poops." and on, and on, and on.

The joking cracks me up! It's so much fun to see their imaginations & senses of humor developing, literally right before our eyes!

I woke up with sore muscles this morning. Couldn't figure out why, since I have done NOTHING physical. Then I remembered - oh yeah, the throwing up. The violent prayer to the porcelain god. I've finally reached that point.

Ugh, poor DH was thinking that it might only last for a few more weeks...I reminded him that last time, it lasted from 6-22 weeks. Poor guy!
#6 of 130 Old 12-03-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Sarah Lynn, I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully next year will be extra amazing for you!

Teeny, Trixie fake sneezes and coughs all of the time, she loves to cover her mouth and sneeze, cracks me up, her sneezes are pretty dramatic.

SO my ultrasound went well. The baby is 4.5 lbs and I have a fluid level of 15, which is good too. So I am officially set for a homebirth! Hurray!

#7 of 130 Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM

hi all!!

Linnaea's dental work went really well, no tears and she has nice new teeth and they didn't have to do any root canals since we caught it early enough.

slgt- i remember those days of puking. sorry mama, i hope this is only short-term!!

dea- what fun! i think my kids would love the zoo probably. yes, you will love your new babe as much. what i find surprising is how sometimes i feel like i love linnaea more than lazlo. of course that changes day to day but, well, there's a whole lotta love in our house eta: yay homebirth!!!

sarah lynne- i only had six weeks but i worked until the friday before and linnaea was born on sunday because i wanted to have as long as possible at home since i didn't have much time, it seemed too soon as it was. but.... i second what slgt said about your job being physically demanding. i'm sorry about your grandma too

linnaea's cute thing is when she says, "please to have a little bit more of that boobah." it's so sweet. okay, off to work. hi teeny!!

eh. who needs a signature?
#8 of 130 Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 AM

Sarah Lynne, that is too many deaths in one year. May your family pull together as they mourn and heal these losses.

Just wanted to share this link about a trailer for a documentary that will be released in the coming months on the subject of babies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnMewMRKnPw

Enjoy!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#9 of 130 Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Hello!
It's the 3rd and I can't find the Dec thread, and there isn't a link at the end of the Nov thread, so I hope I'm not doubling up.
And there still isn't a link at the end of the Nov thread!

The ironic thing about me not being able to convert back and forth is that I'm actually more comfortable with metric for most things. I majored in biochemistry and physics, and everything was metric-- even in the US, scientists don't screw around with Imperial measurements. I didn't have to convert, though-- *everything* was in metric. So I used Imperial for things like the temperature outside and my own height and weight, but metric for everything else for yeeears. Eventually I stopped as part of an effort to be more "normal". It just got weird that I measured things in centimeters and kilocalories, so out the window it went. I miss you, dear metric system!

It's three in the morning, and I promised the redhead I'd try to sleep again... so off I go.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#10 of 130 Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM

I had a huge post the other day and my computer shut off and lost it and now I don't have any time! Movers come Monday, we move into the hotel on Sunday, packing for that all weekend. Close on this house on Wed. Hopefully close on the new house before Christmas. Life is stressful, but good here right now.

Sarah Lynne, , what a difficult year! I hope next year is extra sweet for you!

slgt, oh gosh, I hope you're feeling better soon. Are you puking through the Zyban (is that the right med? My brain isn't functioning at full capacity right now) or is it if you miss a dose? I hope it's not through it!!

Carrie, yay for the good dentist experience! That was rough, I'm so glad it went well!!

Dea Yay for good measurements and getting to go for your home birth!!

Rynna, gosh that not sleeping thing sucks! I really hope that gets better soon! I'm pretty sure Dea did post a link on the Nov thread, because that's the only way I realized it was Dec!

Teeny, I hope the toddler troubles aren't too bad! Don't hesitate to share your troubles here, we're a loving safe place!

FelixMom, good to see you. How's your little one? Was the surgery a final step for him? No more issues? :

to everyone else!

(I just noticed that everyone got a smilie, it wasn't even on purpose! )

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#11 of 130 Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 PM

You're right, it is there. Sorry Dea! Drat. This means that once again, my brain is starting to ooze from my ears. I just hate having to take a pill to do something that my body should do and seems to want to do anyway. I also hate having horribly bloodshot eyes all the time, day in and day out, and not being able to eat (though I love losing weight ), and needing to look up the answers to finish a sudoku puzzle of moderate difficulty in less than half an hour. I feel like I'm getting all the messed up side-effects of smoking pot but without any of the warm, fuzzy, entertaining ones. Meh.

#12 of 130 Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Hi mamas! I haven't been around in these threads forever but thought I'd pop in and say "hi."

Congrats to the preggos - that's so exciting! Wishing everyone a healthy and happy pregnancy.

I hope everyone is having fun with their toddlers. Some days I can't believe how big Peter is getting. He loves any kind of animal and (of course) playing with ds2. He started speech therapy this week, which should be a huge help - the therapist got him to try to say 2 new words in the very first session! He only has about 10 words right now; it boggles my mind to see that some of your babes are speaking in little sentences!

A happy woman
#13 of 130 Old 12-05-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
Dea

Rynna,
I heart the metric system for distances and such. I do know my weight in pounds and height in inches/ feet, most Canadians do, although I can convert those in my head fast. I'm thankful that we don't use stone as a measurement, it really messes with me, although I can sort it. (I still adore you thought Helen!)
Also what is your diet like? Could changing it help with your sleeping? Is it a hormonal issue, or do you think too much? (I have that problem....) I agree it sucks to take meds to make your body do something it should do naturally... like get pregnant! sigh.

Sarah! I totally forgot to thank you for your info regarding breastfeeding after a reduction. I know that I would connect to more ducts with this pregnancy, but I am shocked that I am producing so much. So happy though. Also did you know you grow more with each menstrual period? Just a wee little bit, but it helped me to not curse them so much after Trixie pre trying for Turducken. So now the tricky question....
When a mama is overstimulated is it becasue she has too many ducts? Or is it because the ducts she has produce too much? If it's the latter, can I force mine to produce too much, to essentially make a normal supply? NO ONE can answer this. NO ONE. Makes me so mad that I just get *blink blink* answers. I get that everyone is different, but throw me a bone, eh?
So I know that in the first two weeks your supply is established, so I plan to pump and pump and pump some more, when he's not permanently latched to me. But at what point do I break down and give him a bottle or use the SNS? I do not want another baby having a seizure. And what formula do I use? Trixie has cow milk issues, should I assume this baby will too?
AHHHHH! (see earlier comment about thinking too much....)

#14 of 130 Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Rynna,
I heart the metric system for distances and such. I do know my weight in pounds and height in inches/ feet, most Canadians do, although I can convert those in my head fast. I'm thankful that we don't use stone as a measurement, it really messes with me, although I can sort it. (I still adore you thought Helen!)
I can't begin to sort stone in my head. I remember when I first heard of stone (from a girl from England who transferred into my school) and being utterly flabbergasted by the idea. Care to teach us, Helen?

Quote:
Also what is your diet like? Could changing it help with your sleeping? Is it a hormonal issue, or do you think too much? (I have that problem....) I agree it sucks to take meds to make your body do something it should do naturally... like get pregnant! sigh.
I'm an odd duck that way. Most people who can't sleep end up eating a lot more and gaining weight; I lose my appetite entirely when I can't sleep. I've had to force myself to eat anything, so I eat the most nutritionally dense foods I can manage/find. I love losing weight, but I'd rather be fat and get some shuteye, you know?

Quote:
When a mama is overstimulated is it becasue she has too many ducts? Or is it because the ducts she has produce too much? If it's the latter, can I force mine to produce too much, to essentially make a normal supply? NO ONE can answer this. NO ONE. Makes me so mad that I just get *blink blink* answers. I get that everyone is different, but throw me a bone, eh?
The reason they can't answer is because you're asking the wrong question-- though if you were asking the right one, they'd probably still blink and stare. Milk isn't produced in the ducts, it's produced in glands. It's *stored* in the ducts, and the ducts allow the milk to travel from the glands to the baby. The "let-down" process is actually the nipple-end of the ducts opening up, and the milk that's been stored in your ducts flying out while the milk-producing cells within your glands produce more. This also explains why nursing more increases your supply-- it's pressure on the milk-making cells of the glands that causes them to stop making milk, so the vacuum created by the baby nursing has the opposite effect.

In any case: More ducts mean more storage, and more storage means more milk even though it may not mean more production. The space is necessary, but not the source. It's kind of like the Cuban businesses in Mafia Wars. Can you encourage your glands to produce more milk? As I recall, you're already familiar with every trick in the book. With the increased ductwork, you'll have a better chance of maintaining a healthy supply for your Turducken.

Quote:
So I know that in the first two weeks your supply is established, so I plan to pump and pump and pump some more, when he's not permanently latched to me. But at what point do I break down and give him a bottle or use the SNS? I do not want another baby having a seizure. And what formula do I use? Trixie has cow milk issues, should I assume this baby will too?
AHHHHH! (see earlier comment about thinking too much....)
There I cannot help you. Knowing me, I'd crack after 24 hours of not enough peepees and no other explanation. As to formula, I've got no thoughts there either except to say that cow's milk and soy are two of the top eight allergens (and two of the foods Bear can't have) so I'm tense and paranoid about introducing them to kiddos before they're much older (like two). I really didn't have the opportunity to research things; By the time I was well enough to be doing research, Bear was already sick and the Neocate was already in the works.

#15 of 130 Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Rynna,
thou must eat.... Clearly there is something wrong* with you and I am a believer that a healthy diet can solve a lot. (*in terms of not sleeping) But I'm a weird hippie who won't vax my kids, doesn't drink milk and makes my own elderberry syrup, and as of late ferments most of the food we eat.
Okay I see I misused a word, and I totally know the difference. So here's the thing I have plenty of glands, but a lot of ducts were severed when I was younger, so I need to access the glands I have and hope that they can over produce. I totally understand the biology of it, now to manipulate it.... And this is where people can't help. I want to know if I can intentionally overstimulate myself. Pretty simple question to me, no one can answer.
sigh.
I'll write a how to book when I'm done. heh.
cows milk and soy. Both are my nemesis. I am appalled that formula makers use soy at all. If parents would just do a little search on what long term use of soy can do to their little boys and girls, they would run screaming from the stuff. Ugh. I used to love soy too (although I'll still eat some fermented soy, tofu, soy sauce and my fav miso!) but once I learned how it messes with you I stopped, I got pregnant after I stopped with Trixie, (along with drugs....)
Soy is bad bad bad stuff.... but it tastes so gooooooddddd.

#16 of 130 Old 12-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Dea, I totally think you should write a book about breastfeeding after a reduction. It's obviously information that is not readily available. I can't see when you couldn't cause and over supply by nursing, pumping, and using herbs/foods to stimulate production. Did you have any engorgement or anything after Trixie (like back at the glands)? Do the glands stop producing really quickly when it's not going down the duct after being produced? This is a terribly interesting topic to me, simply because it forces me to learn more/think more about how the breasts work. I spend a lot of time talking about breasts, breastfeeding, the miracle that is breastmilk in the sex ed classes I teach. I'm always thrilled that the girls join my excitement and ask questions and tell me that they will definitely try breastfeeding their kids now that they know, etc at the end of a cycle.

I think I would watch and supplement for the same reasons I would any other baby, just a little sooner, knowing the breast was less likely to catch up post reduction. I'd probably ask the mw to leave her digital scale if she can (or rent one) so you can do a few pre and post nursing weights to see if the baby is getting anything and how much. I'd also keep a close eye on output and supplement if it becomes too decreased. I know you'll be doing everything you can so I think if it gets to a point that you feel it's needed, it will be. I'd do an SNS, at least for a while so it can continue fostering nursing (stimulation and baby continues to associate the breast with food). As far as what to supplement with.....that's hard. I share your feelings on soy and cow milk for most infants. Do you have friends that will donate some breastmilk? Can you find some contacts on MilkShare or something to get a small stash in case you need it and give yourself some time to figure out how you want to supplement if it's needed? I'd be so thrilled to share milk with you (as I'm sure many of us would) if I were to have baby close enough in age to pump for you. I donated to the milk bank at the University of Iowa after Grace was born and I loved knowing I was helping babies that needed mother's milk. Anyway, that got a little off topic.....

I'm supposed to be packing. We're moving into the hotel tomorrow and then the movers come Monday and my house is currently a disorganized mess. I'm kind of at the point of stress that I just kind of shut down and become ineffective. That won't work, I need to focus and get some stuff done! Okay, if you see me on FB or something yell at me to go pack! (After I post the pic of the kids with Santa, it's hilarious)

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#17 of 130 Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Sarah,
With Trixie I could feel the glands near my arm pits working, but they weren't connected, but they were achy. Having a c-section then having Trixie in the NICU helped to get rid of my supply though. I did pump forever though, but nothing was connected, so it was moot.
Other than oatmeal and nettles what other foods? ( I have loads of fenugreek and lots of domperidone left too, and it hasn't expired)
I hadn't thought about a scale, I'll defiantly get one!
I've talked to people about breastfeeding trying to help and encourage and I know they look at me like I have no clue. sigh. I have a clue, more than most really, since I've tried so many things, so many latches so many tricks, for both latching with a nipple confused baby and for increasing supply.

Okay off to make dinner and research scales!

#18 of 130 Old 12-06-2009, 04:59 AM

Hey Guess Who Mamas??

Yes, I am back and hopefully my hiatus is done for good. I've been lurking on my cell phone and know that several of you are pregnant with your next ones! YEAH! Dea, Smokeylo, MommytoAustin and others. I've been gone from here for most of the year and I'm sure I've missed out of on all sorts of juicy toddler stuff.

Things are looking up for DD and I. We've made it from the edges of hell and back an seen some beautiful things along the way.

God I've missed you Mama's! There are a 1000 questions I wished I could have asked you as I went through all of this. But I guess I really needed to stand on my own feet. And truly I did fine so maybe you were speaking to me in my dreams.

Wanted to say :hello to Helen, Megan, Teeny, NOS, Rynna, Heather, Lauren and the rest of the gang. And I've noticed we've picked up some noobs to keep the group merry and growing. So Hello to all! We are back and I'll stop by soon with a less selfcentered post! Much love to you all
#19 of 130 Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Hey Theie

Dea, I wasn't in the DDC from the start, but it sounds like you have really had a challenging time making breastfeeding work. I hope you are able to make it work and find the support and information you need. I don't know if this is available in the US, but it might be worth looking into for supplementing.

Operamommy, Hillel is no where near using sentences. He has a good mix of Hebrew and English words, but is still building up his vocab.

Sarah - Lynne that is a huge amount to be processing in less than one year.

Carrie, for new teeth and no root canals.

Sarah - rather you than me with packing....

I had a yukky day. Hillel has started to drop his nap and seems to be teething, making me one sleep deprived mama - and a cranky, nasty one at that. Today I was serisouly reconsidering plans for another child - I am not sure I am the kind of person who can have more than one child.... Just one is doing my head in. I don't know how you mama's with more than one do it, seriously.

The good news is that I will now be off bedtime duty (we have been doing it together - as quality family time) and have time to do some yoga and join them after the story for nums nums to sleep. I think that is going to revolutionise my experience of my life.

Off for shepherds pie vegatarian style.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#20 of 130 Old 12-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
Today I was serisouly reconsidering plans for another child - I am not sure I am the kind of person who can have more than one child.... Just one is doing my head in. I don't know how you mama's with more than one do it, seriously.
When I had one child, things were difficult. I had a hard time going anywhere or doing anything. With two, they were impossible. With three I was at the grocery store a week after getting home from the hospital. Four probably would have been easier, but I spent ages being sick so I didn't have the chance to find out right away. Even so, I can take all four to the grocery store with little/no difficulty. I found that by myself, the transition from one to two was the most difficult and with help, the transition from two to three was most difficult (because then Mike was making the transition from one to two, so it was like having a fourth, gigantic, resentful child around ). Three to four wasn't a big deal at all, in fact it made a lot things easier because we could divide the kids into two equal groups. Sometimes it's the boys and the girls; Other times it's the older two and the younger two. Rarely do we end up grouping 1/3 and 2/4, for some reason, even though by many other random things, that's how they end up. It's all good though.

I'll freely state that having more than one isn't for everyone-- no more than having more than one man around the house is for everyone. Each family is different, there are no wrong answers.

#21 of 130 Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Nicole, Theia, it's so great to see you both again

Not in the mood to talk about big families, because mine have been little horrors this week Skye has been particularly whingy, and River had developed a sense of "humour." He's also taken a liking to the Christmas tree, and has been dismantling it. Very sweet : but of course, too much sweetness is exceptionally bad for you.

Oh, and I'm 38 and a half weeks pregnant, and have hit that point where I'd like to just sleep until baby comes out, whenever that may be.

A stone is 14lbs.

Dea, if you're trying to cause an oversupply then you need to deliberately get things wrong. Switch sides frequently at some feedings- 5 minutes on each side, then swap, then swap, then swap, then swap was how Alex created his oversupply.

On monitoring, if you're getting more than two poopy nappies a day, plus wet ones, I wouldn't do anything. Having been through test weighing, I'd give it one day a week/fortnight/month where you test-weigh every single time you feed baby (change nappy, weigh baby, feed baby, weigh baby, change nappy if needed) so you can see the overall input in that day. I know I've said it to you before, but my supply has stabilised quicker with every baby, and given that you were getting some milk with Trixie, that should stand you in really good stead with this one. Good luck!
Oh, and in answer to the question of supplementation, I'd probably look at glucose water for the first 3 days of life and then the most basic whey-based formula on the market from that point onwards. Knowing how crap soy based and elemental formulas are, I cannot find a justification for starting off with something so far removed from boobyjuice- start with the option that's nutritionally best for most babies and work your way out to accommodate allergies, don't assume that the allergy is there.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 130 Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 AM

hi mamas!

theia- good to see you!! i hope you and your dd are doing well!

dea- i know nothing about formula but maybe a goat milk one would be good? i'm thinking you won't need to use it though!

nicole- good to see you too! i think you're in some of my co-op groups, it's the while opera thing, it's very distinct

sarah- i hope moving goes well. enjoy your hotel stay, maybe get room service?

so, news for us, linnaea has applied the , "i want a little bit more of that..." to being held, "a little bit more of that come up," talking to my mom on the phone, "a little bit more of that grandma dot," going outside, "a little bit more of that outside." and it's freaking hilarious!!

it's gotten to the point where i think she says it because we laugh and she gets what she wants. except the boobah, i'm totally done. i'm sure my milk is almost gone because it starts to get irritating after just a bit, she kicks me and pushes on me and pinches me and ugh!!! weaning is close.

i just watched a bunch of videos of lazlo when he was younger than her and i totally need to take more of them!!! it's so hard to remember exactly what it was like, lazlo used to say maple sir-E-up, and i forgot!!

eh. who needs a signature?
#23 of 130 Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Hi Theia, welcome back! I hope you are doing well.

Helen - good to see you, too. Been wondering how you're doing...

Rynna....I hope you can figure something out that will help you sleep. Much caffeine in your diet? I don't know...I agree with Dea about the food thing, but there are also so many other factors that affect sleep. I don't even know where to start - but to send you hugs!

Dea, I totally think you should write a book! A lot of women would be grateful for any experience & information you can provide.

It's so much fun to hear about all the toddler-isms that are part of our lives. All these kids are so different, and all of them sound fun. R's latest is that she has started singing really well. I don't mean tunefully - I mean getting most of the words to the songs. She'll sing Twinkle Twinkle, the ABCs, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and Itsy Bitsy Spider, maybe gets 80% of the words. Great entertainment for the grandparents on Skype!

I have my first prenatal appointment tomorrow, 9 weeks. My fingers are crossed that I'll see a little wiggling bean with a heartbeat...please cross your fingers, and toes, and whatever else you have, too!
#24 of 130 Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Theia! So wonderful to see you! I'm sending good thoughts that everything is coming up (roses) for you and DD.

Dea, I think you should write a BFAR book, you're probably the foremost expert!

Sarah - good luck on the move!

ema-adama, I understand you there. If we didn't have the DSC, and if I would have been considering more than one, DD is definitely enough to make me say no way! The DSC are much more mellow than my biological own child, and really I have no interest in another. There's nothing wrong if you do decide that. But then, some folks struggle with motherhood (like me) and others can hack it much better. Sometimes a second child (or third or 4th) make thigns easier (somehow) and other times harder. So many variables, it's hard to really know when you're trying to make a decision.

Wow, Helen, I can't believe how close you are to giving birth! Hang in there.

Carrie, we too are remembering via old videos and thinking we need to get a new camera because we're missing the same sort of stuff from DD's life. There's somethign to it. It's amazing how much DD and DSD4 look alike! It's totally wild, when looking back at those videos, I keep telling DD to look at herself when she was 1 (instead of saying DSD's name, heh).

I've created a monster, ahem, I mean an ogre. I went and got Shrek 3, since I was getting sick of having to see the first and second over and over. Now, DD's repeating constantly (from the part of the movie with all the baby ogres) 'Member, mommy "ah-ba-boo", Yes, I remember "ah-ba-boo"; 'Member mommy: "da-daa" Yes, DD, I remember "da-daa." She will ask you this over and over and over and over, as if she just can't get enough of how funny those moments in those movies are. When I am finished with that, then she goes on to DH, 'Member Daddy... Good lord, repetition is a thing for this age, isn't it?

#25 of 130 Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post
Rynna....I hope you can figure something out that will help you sleep. Much caffeine in your diet? I don't know...I agree with Dea about the food thing, but there are also so many other factors that affect sleep. I don't even know where to start - but to send you hugs!
There is almost no caffeine in my diet. Aside from the obvious and intended stimulant effect, I'm an odd duck in that caffeine actually makes my migraines worse (it helps a lot of people with migraines)-- so when I'm not sleeping I go out of my way to avoid caffeine unless I absolutely need it. Sadly, that comes up from time to time. If I sleep for 1-2 hours out of 24 and I need to drive during that 24th hour, depending on how I feel I might need something to make sure that I'm awake enough to stay on the road. It's a fine line, and I'm afraid I fail rather a bit. Over the weekends, though, there is NO caffeine, and that's a very strict policy when the insomnia is awful.

Bear's latest fun thing would be art. He will draw with anything on anything, though in his favor he prefers paper to alternatives. The trouble is, I can't just give him paper all the time, I just can't afford it. I would go to the print shop to ask for scraps if I thought that Mike would bother with it, but he'd likely leave the box where the kids could get to it, and we'd find them all scattered all over the house within a few days and be back where we are now. In any case, I posted pictures of Bear's drawings on my bedsheet a few weeks ago to Facebook. It was irritating that he drew on the sheet, but I actually really like his style. I think he's got a good thing going, and it makes him very happy, so well done him.

He is, for the record, the first of my children to have a particular affinity for drawing at any age. The others all went through brief experimentation phases and seemed to decide it wasn't for them, but Bear is WAY more into it than his siblings ever were, and it's been going on for longer. It's really neat to watch and like I said, I enjoy his style. He talks about what he's drawing, he's got a definite plan even though it sometimes only makes sense to him. If you're not on Facebook, PM me and I'll send you a link to the album, if you're interested. If you *are* on Facebook, it's one of the relatively recent albums.

Theia, I forgot-- welcome back. It's great to see you here, and I'm glad to hear that you and your little girl are doing better.

#26 of 130 Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Rynna, is there an Ikea near you, last time I was there they had rolls of paper for like $5, a huge roll. Trixie loves to draw and finger paint and all such things and I still have heaps. Granted I have one child using it, you would have 4. Target had some $0.50 colouring books too recently. I love baby drawings. I've saved all of Trixie's, but there are so many!

#27 of 130 Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Anyone know why a baby would get a random, short lived fever? Sunday afternoon, she woke up from her nap really hot and lethargic and she'd occasionally cough a half-hearted cough (the kind you do when your throat hurts so you don't want to push it) and say "hurt!" Well we were on the road for a bit and she slept through it, but when she woke up, was really upset, cranky, had a fever and all. Then I gave her some motrin, and a short while later, she was doing ok. I fully expected her to wake up in the middle of the night feeling hot, feverish and cranky, but she was perfectly fine. No more fever. Nothing at all yesterday, and today normal as can be. Does that make any sense to you?

#28 of 130 Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM

No Ikea, no. Teeny, that sounds like teeth to me. Did she get any new ones?

I'm completely fried, I'm crawling back into bed because i don't know what else to do.

#29 of 130 Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Just popping in to say...

heartbeat!

Little bean wiggling and measuring just right for a mid-July due date.

Wheeee! Anxiety, lessened.
#30 of 130 Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Yay!! Slgt! Yay for heartbeats!!

Rynna, I don't think it was teething. We finally got her canines in and all's been quiet (thankfully) on that front. For now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page