Toy car/trucks good for a 21 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every time we go somewhere that has toy cars or trucks Dd is just fascinated with them but they are hot wheel types where the parts could come off. Does anyone have a recommendation for safer cars and trucks for Christmas? I would love wood but I am not sure if they are in the budget.
Thanks!

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#2 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM

We have some good wood ones that aren't very expensive.

We have several of these and adore them!

http://www.maplelandmark.net/montgom...se/mites.lasso

Not bad for $4 each & made in the US. Oh, and you can get the whole set for $25. Great deal!
#3 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I'm not 100% sure we had started w/ matchbox/hot wheels by that age, but it was somewhere around there... I suppose they could break and have wheels etc come off, but it hasn't happend to any of ours yet (and DS plays with them HARD). If your looking for bigger trucks try Bruder - they make a line designed for 2-4 yrs (Roadmax) and the rest are rated for 3+. They're all but indestructible - DS1 got a roadmax dump truck & trailer for xmas last year and it still looks all but brand new, despite having been beat on for the past year
#4 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
We have some good wood ones that aren't very expensive.

We have several of these and adore them!

http://www.maplelandmark.net/montgom...se/mites.lasso

Not bad for $4 each & made in the US. Oh, and you can get the whole set for $25. Great deal!
We can afford that! They are so cute.

#5 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I'm not 100% sure we had started w/ matchbox/hot wheels by that age, but it was somewhere around there... I suppose they could break and have wheels etc come off, but it hasn't happend to any of ours yet (and DS plays with them HARD). If your looking for bigger trucks try Bruder - they make a line designed for 2-4 yrs (Roadmax) and the rest are rated for 3+. They're all but indestructible - DS1 got a roadmax dump truck & trailer for xmas last year and it still looks all but brand new, despite having been beat on for the past year

Dh has a huge collection of Hot Wheels but they can't be opened. I will look up the Bruder ones.

#6 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 PM

DS loves his hotwheels and has for a few months. He carries them with him everywhere, including the bath tub, and we've never had any problems.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#7 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 AM

I think that as long as your DS isn't putting things in his mouth anymore you're probably ok. Our DS is 19 mo now and has had a few hot wheels type cars for several months, given to him by the older neighbor boy. He does great with them and loves them. That being said, I really want to start collecting the Plan City little wood cars for him. I'd rather he had just a few quality cars than an explosion of a thousand Matchbox cars, lol. I also found a great chemical free road play rug that we'll get for his birthday.

When he turned 1 we got him a couple of these cars:
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=22282802
They still get played with pretty frequently. I'm thinking about getting a few more colors for him.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#8 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
I think that as long as your DS isn't putting things in his mouth anymore you're probably ok. Our DS is 19 mo now and has had a few hot wheels type cars for several months, given to him by the older neighbor boy. He does great with them and loves them. That being said, I really want to start collecting the Plan City little wood cars for him. I'd rather he had just a few quality cars than an explosion of a thousand Matchbox cars, lol. I also found a great chemical free road play rug that we'll get for his birthday.

When he turned 1 we got him a couple of these cars:
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=22282802
They still get played with pretty frequently. I'm thinking about getting a few more colors for him.
just a FYI the plan toys small cars rubber wheel part does come off. I ended up just removing them and throwing them away. I did buy my 20 mo old a few plan toys construction vehicles for Christmas this year. We love plan toys

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

#9 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen&james View Post
just a FYI the plan toys small cars rubber wheel part does come off. I ended up just removing them and throwing them away. I did buy my 20 mo old a few plan toys construction vehicles for Christmas this year. We love plan toys
Oh REALLY! So the little rubber tires do come off! Hmmm think I'll wait just a bit longer then. They are fabulous little toys though. Whenever a Magic Cabin catalog comes, DS wants it opened to the Plan City pages and he'll leave it that way for days, looking and bringing some of his little trucks (cement mixer, bulldozer) over to match to the similar ones on the page. The construction vehicles are what he hankers after most but with their moveable parts I knew they'd have to wait. Now I know it all must wait a bit. Thank you!

#10 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that as long as your DS isn't putting things in his mouth anymore you're probably ok.
She still puts EVERYTHING in her mouth so I need to be careful of small things. I will look up the Etsy shop you linked to.

#11 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 AM

Sorry, your DD! Don't know why I saw 'DS'.

You'll get sucked into Etsy if you do a search on wood toy cars. So many beautiful things and most are very reasonable. Plus you're supporting handmade! I have too many things favorited on there.

Here's another great seller, a SAHM who lives in MN and does beautiful work:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/womanwoodworker

#12 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 AM

bigger than hot wheels but made of recycled milk jugs - Dump Truck and Recycling Truck

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here's another great seller, a SAHM who lives in MN and does beautiful work:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/womanwoodworker

Oh, those are very cute. I think I will need to get the train set! Thanks.

#14 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadmama View Post
Oh, those are very cute. I think I will need to get the train set! Thanks.
Be sure you select the car transporter for one of your cars--it comes with a little zoomy car as an added bonus that I bet she'd just love!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page