Mothering Forum banner

What size bike for a taller 3.5year old?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ILoveMyBabyBird 
#1 ·
We are considering getting ds a bike for xmas, ds is 42" last time we measured in September tried out the 12" at toys r us and the 16" and the 12" seems too small for him. He hasn't had any tricycle experience so this would be his first pedal ride on. The 16" seems a little big, he can touch the ground on his toes, is this what we should be getting him? I know they make 14" but they are pretty hard to find on sale. The 16" bike i am looking at at toys r us, says the rec. age is 4-8, so if ds is taller than would that be the right choice? Ds won't be getting a whole lot of use out of the bike for a couple months as it we live in the cold midwest and I hope to just have him practice riding it in the garage until spring.

So what do others think? What size bike does your taller 3 year old have?

#3 ·
We're in the same boat. Our DS, who will be 4 in January, is very tall for his age, too. I think he's right around 42" as well. We'll more than likely get him a 16" bike. He currently has a 12 inch bike at my IL's house and it seems to fit him okay - maybe a little small, but he enjoys it. With the 16", at least he'll have room to grow in to it since he won't be using it until Spring of next year.

DH is in charge of getting it, picking it out - he'll more than likely get it at a local cyclery if the price is right, if not, then we'll take a look at Toys R Us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.