connect 2 umbrella strollers? other travel ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are trying to find the best method for transporting 2 kiddos in the airport on an upcoming trip from Alaska to Florida. Last year we used a big huge Graco double stroller and the airlines broke it on each leg of our trip (we lucked out and they paid for a replacement). It also is so cumbersome in vehicles etc. I was wondering about using 2 of the old-school tiny umbrella strollers (is it still possible to find these?) DH1 is 3 1/2, DH2 is 1 1/2. Given our carry-ons we need 1 person to be able to push the stroller(s). Ideas?
#2 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 04:53 PM

they make connectors to do that http://www.princelionheart.com/site/t_str_6550.html

ive seen them at babies r us, i think. you can also get cheap umbrella strollers for like $10-$15 depending on where you buy them

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#3 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Anyone know of a double umbrella stroller that folds up side to side instead of front to back?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I'd put the younger one in a sling and only worry about one stroller for the older one. I'd personally be inclined to let the older one walk (maybe with a 'leash' if you're worried about her getting separated from you), yeah it's a pain if s/he's slow and you've got other stuff to carry, but pushing a stroller through a crowded airport is a pain too, and this way you don't then also have to worry about transporting the empty stroller elsewhere.

Depending on how big the 3yo is, you could even consider slinging him/her (like in a mei tai in a back carry). Our DD is almost 3, 30lbs, 36" tall, and we never use a stroller at all for her -- she walks or I sling her. When we moved across the country she was about 1 1/2yo, sling in the airport was the BEST. Now if an older child is not accustomed to slinging they may or may not be amenable to the idea -- but in a strange and scary place (like the airport might be), cuddling with mommy or daddy might be preferable for them.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#5 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM

I'd vote for either letting the older one walk and only using one stroller, or babywearing. We have two who are close in age, and we don't have a double stroller, so the little one is worn while the older one uses the stroller. Now that he's getting better at walking, he does that instead.
#6 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM

You might want to try the Jeep Brand double umbrella stroller. I don't know the price so it might be cheaper to purchase 2 cheap umbrella strollers and the little clip thing that connects them. We love our single Jeep umbrella stroller and I know we looked out it when I was pregnant with #2 and I liked it. It folds up small from what I remember.

Mama of three.

#7 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
they make connectors to do that http://www.princelionheart.com/site/t_str_6550.html

ive seen them at babies r us, i think. you can also get cheap umbrella strollers for like $10-$15 depending on where you buy them
I vote for the connectors the last time I was at BRU they had several on hand to choose from. They are usaully on those little aisle end racks over by the strollers and carseats. You can use them with most strollers and BRU does carry those really inexpensive umbrella type strollers plus if any time during your trip you need to seperate the connector allows you to seperate the strollers.
#8 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM

If you want to try the 2 umbrella strollers, I would buy some of those connectors.

I also liked the idea of putting the younger one in a sling and letting the older one walk/use 1 umbrella stroller.

I am flying by myself with both kids next weekend and I am going to put the baby in the Ergo and DS is going to walk with a "leash" since he tends to run off and loves to follow other people.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#9 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM

It might be worth checking whether both airports have carts with toddler seats. That would make life so much easier. Those umbrella strollers with connectors are really hard to steer. Even if you have to give up your cart to go through security you should be able to get another on the other side. If the carts don't have child seats your 3 your old could sit at the front and the 1 year old could be carried/ slinged (slung?).

Can you borrow a stroller in Florida?
#10 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM

I'd get a decent umbrella stroller, a maclaren or chicco and bring a sling. We are on the move with a 3.5yo and 1.5yo as well--we have a double because we need it for our final destination, but on the cross-country flight we just did, it wasn't necessary. We had one stopover, DD1 walked just fine before the first flight and at the change and just wanted to ride when we got to the end as she was tired. You could just pop your 1.5yo in a sling for that bit. I think 2 strollers will be too complicated.
#11 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 AM

I would get one of these for the smaller child-
http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Todd.../dp/B000JHN3AS

And one of these for the older child-
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/go...travelmate.htm

Or bungee one carseat to a bag, put the little one in a carrier and get the gogo kids one for the older child.

Then put all your smaller carryone IN the rollaway bag, have one adult pull each kid (actually 1 person could pull both if you really had to!), that way you can carry all your stuff, and your kids.

I did a DIY version of the first one for my ds last trip, but mostly in airports he walks and carries his own bag (he has sense he was 15months old, the first flight we went on after he learned to walk, before that he just rode in a carrier all the time)

Of course thats only if you are brining carseats on your trip, its not a good idea to bag check them (they can get damaged very easily, even if you cant see any damage), and the kids will be safer and more comfortable on the flight if they ride in their seats on the plane.
#12 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 AM

We travel with two Peg Perego strollers -- since DH is with us, I don't see any need to have strollers that connect, or to bring a double stroller. We zip around much more quickly when each only pushing one - and our strollers are easy to push, but still have all the benefits of a full size stroller (recline completely), yet they fold up just a little bit bigger than an umbrella stroller.

We also bring at least one carrier - at this point, the ergo is our favorite.

Bringing two strollers is nice b/c then when we only need one for the youngest, we leave the other in the hotel room.

I know you said you need one to push b/c of carry-on's, so maybe the connectors would be best (but I imagine they are even harder to push than umbrella strollers are on their own) - when necessary we put one kid in a stroller, one in a carrier, and used the other stroller for luggage. But really, our bags fit either on the back of the stroller, or were backpacks that could be worn. Also, our strollers both have a small step on the back so an older child can stand on the back - making it easy for one parent to push two kids at once (which is good for us, b/c we hapen to have four kids).

Pic here (just cause it's sweet) - 2 kids on the back, 2 in the strollers at Disney

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
It might be worth checking whether both airports have carts with toddler seats.
This sounds great - what are they?
#14 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 AM

We have the Combi Twin Sport 2 Side by Side Double Stroller and we really like it for travel. It folds flat like a regular umbrella stroller and then fold in half and ends up the size of a golf bag. Still doesn't fit through the x-ray machine at the airports where we travel but our other double is the Phil & Ted Vibe and there is no way I'm traveling with that one. They had them in our B&M Babies R Us if you need it soon but we found it cheaper on Amazon and had a gift certificate. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page