DD wants a baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4yo DD has been continually asking:
When are you going to have a baby mom?
My daddy loves you and you love my daddy so you can have a baby right?
Can I show the new baby how to get milkie to grow?
Can you make a baby boy?
Im a good helper, I can be the big sister, I know how to change the baby's diaper, I can help the baby get milkies, you can put your mommy milkies in a bottle and I can help feed the baby mom...
Now my SO and I have discussed one more, but we arent there yet for various reasons($, Health concerns on both sides, room in our current home etc etc) and we have tried to repeatedly explain this to her in different ways, yet she seems dissatisfied with all the explainations we are giving her.
I tell her one thing( Like mommy and daddy arent ready to have another baby yet), then she goes to daddy and he tells her too...
Any suggestions?
She has her own pretend babies, but isnt satisfied with that.
She has been weaned for 1.5yrs almost, and still wants to "check" to see if I have more milkies and see if they are there cause she told me that when I get more milkies that I can have a baby.
Im not exactly sure what to say to her.
Ideas?

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#2 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Sounds totally normal. She probably sees babies around town and in the neighborhood... DD has been asking for a baby brother for the last year and a half, and has asked to try nursing again, too, and in general gets on a little sibling kick every once in a while. She has tons of dolls, which she enjoys, but you and I both know there is something irresistable about a real, live baby that a doll just can't provide! Just one of her many phases right now (acting like a baby/cat/dog/mommy herself, playing mommy to her babies, etc.).

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I thought so, it just seemed like she is so headstrong into the subject it comes off as a little more at first. I think maybe just keeping up with what we are doing and answering her questions, maybe then she will eventually move to the next subject.
Then when we get to the baby stage and are ready-she will probably be extactic!

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would stop giving any involved explanation to her. Pick one standard response--it's not time for our family to have a baby right now or whatever--and just leave it at that. Could you arrange for playdates with families that have babies? I would even consider explaining the situation to a neighbor or friend with a baby and seeing if she'll let your dd spend extra time with their baby.
#5 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thats so funny, we were just talking about that today. We have a friend with a little boy in DD's age range and she has a 4mo. So we were thinking about doing that.
Yea, I have been sticking to my "mommy and daddy arent ready for another baby right now" answer for a couple of weeks now.
I think were going to do the playdate and see how that goes.

#6 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 PM

This is happening at our house too, we've been telling her that she will be a big sister someday, just not yet.. She talks about it frequently enough that some of the families at our daycare have asked if we're expecting.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#7 of 8 Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM

My guess is that emotionally you and your SO would both like another child, and sub-consiously that is coming through in your responses to her. Kids are observant and if she is getting a response from you when she talks about babies and nursing, (I'm assuming she can tell she is tugging your heart-strings) then that prompts her to continue the line of questioning.

Maybe get a puppy? Maybe that would allow all of you an outlet for your extra love untill the right time for another baby comes along.
#8 of 8 Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim919 View Post
My guess is that emotionally you and your SO would both like another child, and sub-consiously that is coming through in your responses to her. Kids are observant and if she is getting a response from you when she talks about babies and nursing, (I'm assuming she can tell she is tugging your heart-strings) then that prompts her to continue the line of questioning.

Maybe get a puppy? Maybe that would allow all of you an outlet for your extra love untill the right time for another baby comes along.
We were thinking a kitten for all the mice out on our property(Love country living, just hate the mice), and she has fun every time we visit our friends farm with all their 10 cats/kittens. We were going to wait till we got our taxes back and adopt from our shelter.

Quote:
frequently enough that some of the families at our daycare have asked if we're expecting.
Same here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page