Feb '08 Mamas - Happy New Year! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 166 Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Dea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Nature.
I wouldn't worry about Odin's vocab. I agree though, I've read and seen anecdotal evidence over and over that boys develop physically sooner and girls speak sooner. Trixie was amongst the first of her peers to utter a word and to sign before that. However one of her very best little friends (isn't it sweet that they have besties already?) has 8 words but signs about 150 words.
Rynna, LARPing is geeky... even my geekier than ever husband doesn't do that, but his geek quotient is derived from other things.

So I think we're totally ready for baby, we bought another change table for upstairs because we used to change Trixie between the sinks on the counter in the bathroom, but that's taken up with stuff now... so new change table it is. Now for baby to come. please, please can he come. I am so irritable lately because I am too pregnant.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#62 of 166 Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Nature - I wouldn't worry, although it's hard not to. Of course, it may put your mind more at ease to speak with a professional. From what I have heard boys on average develop language more slowly. But of course there are always exceptions.

Hillel has a growing list of words in Hebrew and English, and often leaves the ends off words, especially if they end in 'k'. And he is combining two word phrases - usually to command me, DH or the pets to do his bidding I read that by two years toddlers are expected to have 25 - 50 words and combine two words. Beyond that is great, but not expected.

Perhaps Emily will weigh in as the resident speech pathologist.

Here we are having a very funky storm All snuggled up inside and listening to the rolling thunder - while Hillel reorganises my kitchen for me - again.

I have started to study phytotherapy online. I am really enjoying it. It gives me something to obsess about other than vaccines - and is also giving me tools to care for my family I've got tinctures brewing and I am hoping to make a salve or two.

Today is Terrans birthday. I remember as Hillel is exactly a month later. Happy birthday Terran

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#63 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Dea

hello!
I had a midwife appointment today and baby's head is high (it was low before, boo!) but its out in front of my pelvis, so I need to wear a binding to push it back, it's uncomfortable! Also I"m at 42 cms now, heh... and I can go to 45-6 Ihave a long torso! (iddy biddy short legs though)
so ideas how to push his head back and down?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#64 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 AM

Maybe sitting/rocking on a ball would help? I have no clue. All I can think is that it sounds really painful. I hope he drops soon.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#65 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 AM

dea i keep thinking that you're going to say, "this is it!"

i have no idea how to get turducken's head back where it should be. maybe push on him? s

eh. who needs a signature?
#66 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Sitting on a ball? Would hands & knees do anything? You could try asking nicely, maybe?
#67 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Nature it's good to see you!! Congrats on your new little girly! I have no idea on Odin's speech development. I know I did have a couple of boy cousins who were late talkers, but turned out a-ok. I don't know the extent of their late talking.

Dea, I'm not sure on that positioning thing. Did you check out spinning babies? Ask him nicely to reposition?

Holy birthdays batman! They begin! Happy Birthday Terran! I"m pretty sure there is another birthday nearby.

Well we have a toddler bed for DD. She told me "I not yike my new bootiful bed" and "I not seeping in that bed" but she's slept in it for two nights in a row (perhaps it helps having Donkey there with her). She wakes up once (only once hurray!) to nurse, cuddles with us for a bit, and then we put her back in her bed. However, in the mornings now, for our nursing sessions, she takes a longer time. And then when I have to get up and get dressed she tells me not to leave and to stay here. My goodness, though, our queen bed feels luxurious without her in it. Also, it seems like suddenly, she doesn't throw as many temper tantrums as she used to. She still throws them, but not nearly as often.

signature currently in transition
#68 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Oh, I also meant to ask, if you know, what's your child's height and weight? Sometimes I think DD's pretty skinny - I don't think she's gone past 23-24 lbs in months. Everytime I pop her on the scale it's somewhere between 23.5 and 24. I think she's about 33 inches.

#69 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Dea, my understanding is that 2nd babies often don't drop until right at the end, or sometimes even in labor. Is being disengaged such a bad thing? I know anything that feels like a step backwards is frustrating.

I'm 40w tomorrow and had yet another bout of false labor last night. Am feeling so fed up with the whole thing and really aching to hold my baby. I know it's just a matter of days (right??) but it feels like it's never going to happen, and the constant teases are killing me!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#70 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 PM

I'll get Bear's current height & weight when he sees the allergist next week. I know he's somewhere around 36" tall because his head reaches every doorknob in the house, and they're about three feet off the ground, but I have no idea what he weighs. If I had to guess, I'd say he's just shy of 30 pounds but I'm a notoriously poor judge of such things. My kids tend to be very heavy for their sizes, and I'm not accustomed to having one as tall as Bear. I've got pictures of Bean wearing some of the same clothing Bear wears now, except that Bean was at least three, more like three and a half in most of those pictures.

I just changed a seriously foul diaper. It gave me a headache, honestly. How do they do that?

#71 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Teenytoona! My son is pretty skinny too - 35.5 inches and about 27lbs. And he eats fairly well, lots of full fat dairy and such. I'm assuming it's all going to his big brain /bragging mother.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#72 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Suzywan! Hi there! Good to see you and congrats on the new pregnancy!

Rynna, bear sounds tall! What a cutie.

Ok, so Nara's a little shorter than your kids, and probably skinnier. I don't know why I worry, she's about the same size as her cousin, who's just a few weeks older. I guess I'm used to my sister's gigantic babies. Well that and the pretty much stagnant weight over all this time. But she has grown taller. And she talks my ear off.

#73 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Bear's ridiculous tallness comes on the heels of Bella, most petite of all of my children, so he just seems even more gigantic. Bella will be four at the end of March and she's got maybe (maybe) three inches over Bear. That's being super generous. It's very difficult to make the point to her that if an item of clothing is too small for her, it's probably too small for Bear, too. That, and the point that Bear has never been a little girl. For some reason, she seems to think that he either was a girl already or that he's going to be a girl when he's her age.

#74 of 166 Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Suzywan! Hi there! Good to see you and congrats on the new pregnancy!

Rynna, bear sounds tall! What a cutie.

Ok, so Nara's a little shorter than your kids, and probably skinnier. I don't know why I worry, she's about the same size as her cousin, who's just a few weeks older. I guess I'm used to my sister's gigantic babies. Well that and the pretty much stagnant weight over all this time. But she has grown taller. And she talks my ear off.
Sadly, that ticker is not for a new pregnancy, it's merely the countdown to when we can try.... Clearly, I need a hobby

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#75 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM

I don't know how tall Robin is, but she can still wear some 24 mo things and 2T are a little long on her. She weighs 27 lbs. Definitely getting that lanky toddler/little kid look.

We took her to the doc AGAIN yesterday just to make sure the cough wasn't something more than a virus... which it isn't we found out we were way underdosing her with motrin, and that helped a lot last night.

Still no baby, and an ice storm on the way... 40 weeks today!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#76 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Bear's ridiculous tallness comes on the heels of Bella, most petite of all of my children, so he just seems even more gigantic. Bella will be four at the end of March and she's got maybe (maybe) three inches over Bear. That's being super generous. It's very difficult to make the point to her that if an item of clothing is too small for her, it's probably too small for Bear, too. That, and the point that Bear has never been a little girl. For some reason, she seems to think that he either was a girl already or that he's going to be a girl when he's her age.
Hee hee hee, aren't kids and gender funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzywan View Post
Sadly, that ticker is not for a new pregnancy, it's merely the countdown to when we can try.... Clearly, I need a hobby
No worries, Suzywan, I need to read a little more closely. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
I don't know how tall Robin is, but she can still wear some 24 mo things and 2T are a little long on her. She weighs 27 lbs. Definitely getting that lanky toddler/little kid look.

We took her to the doc AGAIN yesterday just to make sure the cough wasn't something more than a virus... which it isn't we found out we were way underdosing her with motrin, and that helped a lot last night.

Still no baby, and an ice storm on the way... 40 weeks today!
I reckon Robin's a bit taller than Nara, because 24M are a little long on her yet. No matter.

Ooh - an ice storm! Bad winter weather is sure (IMO) to bring on a baby. Of course, so are a ton of other things, huh. Happy 40 weeks. You will get there!

DD said her first Spanish word today. I thought she was saying "manos" (hands) instead she was saying "vamanos" (let's go). Except she left off the va-. Funny, I didn't realize we spoke that much Spanish anymore. We used to with DSS and DSD, but have been lazy about it lately.

I love the toddler bed. Let me just say.

#77 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Baby is breech again. Nothing thats available for me to try has worked. I'm going for an ultrasound today to see if there's a reason she's persistantly breech (I've never had a breech baby.) I'm pretty much going with the idea that if it doesn't seem a big deal to me I'm going to do this at home with or without my midwife because I refuse the c-section that awaits me if I go to the hospital (unless there is a reason she NEEDS to come by c-section.)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#78 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM

I love that Bella is confused about gender and time, especially as she is so very logical about everything else. It's one of those sweet things that reminds me that she is, in fact, three.

Sarah Lynne, good luck. My feelings on the subject are mixed. On one hand, it could just be that your placenta is kind of low and that's why the baby is breech. On the other, my only breech baby had a prolapsed cord and would have been in a bad way had we attempted a vaginal delivery.

#79 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I love that Bella is confused about gender and time, especially as she is so very logical about everything else. It's one of those sweet things that reminds me that she is, in fact, three.

Sarah Lynne, good luck. My feelings on the subject are mixed. On one hand, it could just be that your placenta is kind of low and that's why the baby is breech. On the other, my only breech baby had a prolapsed cord and would have been in a bad way had we attempted a vaginal delivery.

Thats why I want to see what the ultrasound shows. If its serious then I'll walk into the hospital and schedule the section myself. I just don't want to be ramroded into it because my midwife is squeamish about a butt instead of a head.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#80 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Nature - I thought I'd chime in on your questions about Odin's speech. Peter has been in speech therapy since December. I was concerned about his lack of words (at the time he had less than 8) so I called First Steps. Our pedi had said to wait till he turned 2, but I figured the pedi didn't have to live with Peter's constant fits and tantrums due to his frustration over not being able to communicate.

They were able to tell at the intial eval that he would qualify. He works with a therapist now once a week and she has been helpful about giving us things to do with him at home - already his speech has improved and he has added words. Life is SO much easier now! The number of tantrums has gone down hugely. He still does not speak in sentences, but recently has started using expressive phrases like, "DaDa...bye bye." He also doesn't often put ends on his words, which is something the therapist will work with him on.

If you are concerned, I would definately get Odin evaluated. I know that most people are going to tell you he'll grow out of it, etc. but sometimes they do need a bit of help. It surely won't do any harm. Hope that helps.

A happy woman
#81 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM

So baby just has a boney butt.

She is very much head down according to the ultrasound and everything looks perfect. No crazy cords wrapped around or anything.

I'm much relieved and happy now.

#82 of 166 Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Dea

Lauren, I'm not sure my body is going to treat this birth like a 2nd birth since it didn't do anything with Trixie. I'm in such a grey spot with it because I've been pregnant, just never really laboured naturally and I have no idea what to expect, although the stopping and starting is driving me a little crazy. I have a feeling that if his head was in the right spot it might help to get things going. Dunno.
Sigh.
Oh for height, Trixie is shorter than her friends and weighs about 26ish lbs. I think she's perfectly average. 24 mos are smallish on her waist and 2Ts are long in the leg, but she is my daughter, and I'm all hips and boobs, I expect she'll be the same. (no legs...)

#83 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 AM

Woo hoo Sarah Lynn. That is fantastic news

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#84 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Lauren, I'm not sure my body is going to treat this birth like a 2nd birth since it didn't do anything with Trixie. I'm in such a grey spot with it because I've been pregnant, just never really laboured naturally and I have no idea what to expect, although the stopping and starting is driving me a little crazy. I have a feeling that if his head was in the right spot it might help to get things going. Dunno.
I understand completely. Although as a person with a head firmly wedged in her pelvis since 36 weeks who has had false labor every. single. day. sometimes twice!! for a week, I can tell you that an engaged head might not help with the whole start-stop thing.

Sarah Lynne, so glad you don't have to worry about breech. Phew!

#85 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 AM

My greatest fear about getting pregnant again is that my body will not know how to go into labor. I've only done it twice, and only once could remotely be considered "normal" (and that was assuredly stress-induced, and too early for the child in question). I refuse to ever have another c-section, regardless. I just flat-out REFUSE. Yeah, it's possible that Bear would have allergies even if he had been breastfed, but I don't think they'd be nearly as bad as they are. I'm absolutely certain that his early exposure to Similac is the cause of most of his problems, including the ear infections. Then of course there's the time I spent being ill... but that's nothing compared to the lifetime of blechiness that has followed my little Bear. So yeah, I wouldn't want to do it. But what if I didn't go into labor at all? Nobody in their right mind would induce labor with pitocin in a woman who has had three c-sections. I'd be screwed.

I guess it's a really good thing I'm not planning to have any more.

Ahh, my big kids are awake. They do wake up earlier when I make them sleep in their own room. If only I could get Mike to go to bed earlier, the silly person.

#86 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
I understand completely. Although as a person with a head firmly wedged in her pelvis since 36 weeks who has had false labor every. single. day. sometimes twice!! for a week, I can tell you that an engaged head might not help with the whole start-stop thing.

Sarah Lynne, so glad you don't have to worry about breech. Phew!
I'm pretty sure I've had a lot of false labour. Then again I don't now what it's like to go into labour. I know that I am tired, sore and so over this. I wasn't this done with Trixie.

I"m up at a stupid hour for me. it's only 7am, and 9am is early for my family. I keep stressing about how clean my house is, but with my inability to bend I can't do anything about it. grrr.... My house cleaner is slow to answer her email and that's how I contact her. So I'm freaking out that my kitchen sink won't be clean enough. I think I'm losing my mind!

#87 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 PM

That's just nesting, it doesn't really count as losing your mind. It's a really good sign that labor is on the way.

#88 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Dea

Hello!
I had an ob appointment today and baby's head is down and in my pelvis, still high, but he's in! YAY!
We also talked about homebirth and she was nice about it. The other OB I saw while she was on vacation was mean about it, it's so nice to have a rational conversation about the risks and rewards, and she acknowledges that there are rewards with homebirths! We talked about what happens with a uterus ruptures and it's scary, but 1 in 1000, I'll take those odds.
She also mentioned that she would normally suggest induction for me at this point. I"m not sure why she would suggest one, but she knows my answer, so she didn't ask me. Heh. She's learning.
My sink still isn't clean, grrrr, I also want to scrub my floors and bathrooms. I lost a lot of sleep thinking about it. Probably is nesting 'cause I don't lose sleep over my sink!

#89 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Let her (or anyone else) know that induction dramatically increases the risk of uterine rupture. It's depressing to me that an OB would suggest that to a woman who has had a c-section and is planning a VBAC.

#90 of 166 Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM

This could mean nothin' but smokeylo hasn't posted since 9:19 this am....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page