Feb '08 Mamas - Happy New Year! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 166 Old 01-01-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just getting us started...Happy 2010! Our babes are almost 2...what does the new year hold for you and your family? How did you ring in 2010?

December 2009 thread
#2 of 166 Old 01-01-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah, I'm so sorry.

Lauren, Dea, Sarah Lynne - hang in there! You're sick of hearing that, no? I don't remember the last month slowing down, mostly because I was SLAMMED at work and also convinced myself I would be at least a week late. Therefore I was unprepared when she came right on time! Hope you are both feeling ok, and on a good track for the births that you are hoping for.

Hi Heather! Nice to see you!

Helen, I haven't seen pics yet, but congrats on welcoming Sam into your family! Now go take a nap.

Dea, I'm sorry to hear about the potty learning episode. Blechy meddlers. We are keeping a potty around for DD...she was interested for a while, but I think that was just when she was realizing what peeing and pooping and potties are about. She definitely doesn't have the "it's coming" awareness yet, despite increasing naked time. Peeing on the potty makes her nervous...so we let her climb on it when she wants to, but otherwise are not forcing the issue.

DD is officially weaned. I have mixed feelings...on the one hand, i really miss nursing my little girl! On the other hand, I know that my body really, truly, deeply does not have the wherewithal to make milk for her and be pregnant and be puking daily and be eating crappy. So, I'm sure my energy is slightly better for it. Plus I'm too sick to take vitamins, so nutrients are in short supply. But, bedtime has become difficult. So who knows.

Anyone else dealing with a SUPER mommy-lovin' toddler right now? DH was away from home last night and this morning, and she didn't even ask about him. She would climb on me alllllllll day if she could!

She came up behind me this morning, patted me on the tush, and said, "Good boy, mama."

LOVE the toddlerisms!
#3 of 166 Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Dea

Adam and I stayed home last night and watched Bizzare Foods. We're a crazy couple! heh. He also drank a lot of champagne and I had a little. whoot whoot.

I know that technically I have a while until this baby is "due" but good golly, he's a monster, so that's my immediate plan for this year. Have this baby. Also I"m sure that since I say he's monstrous he'll just be over 6 lbs. Heh. Although I wonder, I know his head is low, not all of the way in my pelvis, but low enough to feel, and his tush is around the 30 cm mark, maybe more, and I"m measuring 38.

So I need to buy a pump, pretty soon I hope , any suggestions? With Trixie we rented one, and I would love to get that one, but it's a $900 pump and I just don't think we should buy one that super dee duper. Also should get a scale, any ideas?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#4 of 166 Old 01-02-2010, 02:23 AM

subbing, since a bunch of you are having babies very soon, right?

I skimmed some of the last thread - enough to see that HELEN! CONGRATS!!!!! CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE little guy

Best to all, happy happy 2010!

Stephanie
#5 of 166 Old 01-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Still sick...in fact my midwife is sick too. Go figure.

DH took today off to help me because I'm sick and ends up staying up half the night messing with freaking computers and now I've had to get up and straighten up what the kids have destroyed since they woke up and DH wouldn't get up with them. I don't see him getting out of bed before 11 so he basically wasted a day off for no freaking reason

I had some sharp pains in my cervix last night. Maybe baby next week...I should get a pedicure...That helped me dilate from barely a fingertip to 3 cms with DS1.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#6 of 166 Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Hi mamas, hanging in here at nearly 38 weeks... WAITING, blaaahhh.

Robin having a terrible time sleeping lately . Everyone is clinging to me and hanging off me and aaaaaggghhh. Can you tell I'm cranky this morning?? Anyway, we had a non-event new year and I am excited to have a week or two to get some stuff done before this kiddo shows up.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#7 of 166 Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Hi mamas, hanging in here at nearly 38 weeks... WAITING, blaaahhh.

Robin having a terrible time sleeping lately . Everyone is clinging to me and hanging off me and aaaaaggghhh. Can you tell I'm cranky this morning?? Anyway, we had a non-event new year and I am excited to have a week or two to get some stuff done before this kiddo shows up.
I totally get you with the clinging and hanging. Mine think I'm some sort of wonderous jungle gym.

Steven keeps mimicking my voice because I'm all raspy and hoarse. Its quite cute.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#8 of 166 Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Robin having a terrible time sleeping lately . Everyone is clinging to me and hanging off me and aaaaaggghhh.
Yes, and yes. What's up with the sleep? DD was doing great - would happily fall asleep on her own after some snuggles & books for both bedtime & nap. In fact, she would ASK to go to bed at bedtime! Now? Well, we're back to having to rock her to sleep at naptime, and I lie in with her (after a requisite 10-minute yelling fest) to get her to sleep at bedtime. She. Just. Won't. Settle. Down. I'm blaming it on a) being 2 and b) molars.

And hi, yes, I'm a jungle gym. I swear, she & I must have invisible velcro. I told her yesterday, "honey, there's no more umbilical cord. See? Gone." She didn't listen. Still has to stay in the 6"-from-mama radius.
#9 of 166 Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 PM

Awww!! All you mommas having babies is making me sooo jealous! Hubby and I have been trying since Sept with no luck.. maybe this year will be our year for another baby!

Hoping to be here more now that the holidays are over. It was BUSY here!

And AJ has been VERY clingy within the last couple months. like, he is wanting to be held all the time. I'm happy and sad.. happy cause I love my little guy, but sad cause I realize he is growing up too fast! I caught him in the bathroom the other day. He'd taken his diaper off and was trying to sit on the potty! He's not a baby anymore! And in a month he'll be TWO! AHHHH!!!

Ok, going to go make dinner

HeatherReneeSoul-Mate to RandyLoving Momma to RW(03) IC(05) & AJ (08)
#10 of 166 Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Of all the New Years out there, this one has traditionally been the least important to me. That said, this year feels special. I'm hoping to finish my book and find an agent. : I think I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. I'm thinking happy thoughts about it.

Helen, your little man is fabulous. And I'm stoked to hear about the rest of you getting close, too. Sarah, s I think you have a very reasonable outlook.

I am still sick, but doing well with the meds. I'll call the GI tomorrow to ask about the results of my CT, and to find out about medication refills. I've tried a couple of times just not taking the pill and my stomach just goes right back on edge. Pain in the patootie.

The kids are adorable, and I have to get back into the swing of school tomorrow because Mike's got them WAY behind. I also need Mike to get out of the house and look for work, but I somehow doubt he'll do that. One more reason to finish the book-- so I can give him a good swift kick in the pants.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#11 of 166 Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Well I'm alive.

I spent the day taking care of my two and my niece by myself. I haven't done it in a long while. The younger two never took naps and now are fighting bed as well. Hopefully they'll fall asleep soon. I managed to change the bed into fresh sheets and blankets, bathe all three, have all 3 brush their teeth, dress all three, read them 2 stories and put all of them down for bed. I'm exhausted and the house looks a disaster. Hopefully I'll muster up a bit of gumption and get the livingroom looking habitable and finish the one load of laundry DH asked me to do.

Tristyn is doing great. She's rolling around like she has all the room in the world in there much to mommy's discomfort. DS1 actually got to feel her move today and has been talking about the baby in his belly ever since
Now if the contractions and cramping will go away until Friday then I'll be just peachy. 36 weeks here I come.

#12 of 166 Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Dea

Mamas!
no ideas on breast pumps? bummer.
Tomorrow I'm 37 weeks and am hoping hoping hoping that this baby will be born soon. I know that 37 is still earlish, but he's huge, and I am so uncomfortable. Ugh.
I am enjoying my little bit of time I have left with Trixie alone. We do lots of colouring and such, she's just so precious!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#13 of 166 Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Mamas!
Tomorrow I'm 37 weeks and am hoping hoping hoping that this baby will be born soon. I know that 37 is still earlish, but he's huge, and I am so uncomfortable. Ugh.
I am enjoying my little bit of time I have left with Trixie alone. We do lots of colouring and such, she's just so precious!
I have an older PIS and I like it. I'm actually inheriting my sister brand new one that she never used

#14 of 166 Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I prefer hand pumps, I always found I got more milk with them than with electrics. The only electric that ever came close was the Medela Symphony, and my understanding is that those are ridiculously expensive to purchase.

Bear's refluxing really loudly tonight. It's so bloody painful for him.

#15 of 166 Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I prefer hand pumps, I always found I got more milk with them than with electrics. The only electric that ever came close was the Medela Symphony, and my understanding is that those are ridiculously expensive to purchase.

Bear's refluxing really loudly tonight. It's so bloody painful for him.
Poor Pumpkin...healing, restful thoughts to both of you

#16 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Dea

I rented a pump with Trixie but it's over $900 to buy, and if I knew that breastfeeding would work for me then I would buy it, but we're not sure yet. Boo.

#17 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Hey mama's. Happy 2010.

My year got off to a roaring start with my father meeting a new woman and my brother meeting someone. Both sound serious - and I am really excited for both of them..... a bit weird thinking of my dad with another woman, and so soon. But I'm a big girl, and I'm getting my head and heart around it.

Here Hillel is fighting sleep very intensly. He gets really stressed out in the bath, as he knows that when he gets out, it means jammies, book and bed. He resists at each step. Switching off the light is a complete nightmare. We just have to snuggle him through his complete breakdown when the light goes off. He used to switch it off himself and snuggle down for num nums. Now not even num nums are enough to sooth him

Dea, I know the lactation consultants here recommend the Medela pumps. Have you tired snooping around www.phdinparenting.com to see what she says about pumps?

Sarah Lynne -

Rynna - I haven't followed what your book is about? Rooting for you that it gets published and you get what you need to live your life. I also hope you gets answers some time soon on what is going on with you medically.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#18 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
Here Hillel is fighting sleep very intensly. He gets really stressed out in the bath, as he knows that when he gets out, it means jammies, book and bed. He resists at each step. Switching off the light is a complete nightmare. We just have to snuggle him through his complete breakdown when the light goes off. He used to switch it off himself and snuggle down for num nums. Now not even num nums are enough to sooth him
Have you tried putting him to bed a bit earlier? Sounds like a classic case of overly-tired baby to me. Bear is quite the opposite when he's tired-- he just whines at the top of his lungs. "I WANT A BOTTLE!!!! I WANT THE WIGHT OFF!!!" and so on, repeatedly and more pathetically until he's unconscious. That pretty much starts on cue if he's not in bed by 8:00. If Bear is still awake at 8:30, it's usually because he's in pain and he's *always* miserable about it. Bear would happily go to bed at 7:15 every night, but it's a bit too early for me to manage most days.

Quote:
Rynna - I haven't followed what your book is about? Rooting for you that it gets published and you get what you need to live your life. I also hope you gets answers some time soon on what is going on with you medically.
It's weird. Speculative fiction and... well, weird. I've got the whole story laid out in my head, I'm figuring maybe three or four books for this series and then I end it. (This is very important to me, I had to have an ending before I began. ) I mean I'm not really sure what it's about, because it's about a lot of things. Our shared humanity, perhaps? My that sounds grand and simple. We'll see. The only thing I can say with certainty is that yes, it's weird. I can say with near certainty that it's really bloody good. I've got to get back to school now, but yes-- I definitely plan to finish the book this year. It would be really nice if I could have it finished by springtime, but I'm trying to be realistic with my goals... so I'll say before Stones Rising at the *latest*. I need to start putting little deadlines into my calendar, otherwise I'll never get it finished.

#19 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM

I'm not a big fan of bath before bed. It seems to make my kids more excited, not less.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#20 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Mamas!
!

I have a PIS that is awesome and have heard only good things about the PISA.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#21 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Happy New Year all, just checking in. I"m feeling really blah today, as DD is taking up all my space in the bed causing me to get little sleep and a neckache. Also I'm probably getting some sort of flu and AF arrived this morning (not usually a big deal lately, but this one is more cumbersome than they have been lately). Sorry to be whiney, I know there's alot more going on here than my troubles. to everyone having a bad go of it.

DD goes to sleep very well, it's still the staying asleep thing that is tough. If she manages to sleep outside of our bed, she stays asleep for quite a while, but it gets crowded with the three of us. We were getting her a toddler bed (from my sis), but she hasn't bought her new one yet for her little boy, so we're still on hold. Mattress on the floor doesn't work out well, as it's just too darned cold right now. She sleeps the best on the downstairs loveseat - but that seat is so well loved that it's not always available. Ah well....

DH's and my "legal" anniversary is one week from today. He's reportedly planning an outing, but I have no idea what. Which is hard because we need to set up the babysitter, unless he's plannign that out.

signature currently in transition
#22 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Maybe a bath is not a good idea then.... although we still bath together and it is chilled out.

I am at a loss with his sleep. He fights it and will toss and turn nursing and not nursing for an hour quite easily. It has crossed my mind something is bothering him/making him uncomfortable. His naps are all over the place. And I serisouly dread the going to sleep thing, and have started putting it off. I just don't have it in me to lie there for so long waiting for him to sleep. Naps too. If he doesn't fall asleep, I leave it. And then he falls to sleep at 4pm and wakes up at 6 and won't go to sleep until 10. It is doing my head in. I reallly want to have the eveing with Adi, or by myself. But I am not happy with leaving a toddler alone to fall asleep.

ETA: teeny I missed you.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#23 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Dea

Megan, I'm sorry you're having sleep issues. We're pretty lucky, Trixie asks for a bottle and bed and she goes, either Adam and lie with her and she goes to sleep. We wait for her to cue when she wants to go to bed though, since I'm a believer in letting her set her own schedule. So could you let him tell you when he wants to go to bed and follow that? I know you want some time for yourself, but he might surprise you, he might want it at the same time, but on his own cues.

lauren, PISA? what's the A? I'm such a novice when it comes to pumps, it was all decided for me last time and it worked out well for what I needed. I'm also worried about how strong a regular pump is, I used hospital grade with Trixie and are the ones you can buy as good? I'm starting to worry 'cause I would like one before I go into labour because I do not want pitocin!

#24 of 166 Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM

I'm sorry Dea, I didn't see your post about pumps!!

I am a pumpaholic.. LOVE them, and have tried most. My favorite is the Ameda Purely Yours. I'm not sure what your price range is, but take a look at their site..

Ameda

I found it was the most comfortable, and it actually got a lot more milk out then others I had tried.

good luck hun!

HeatherReneeSoul-Mate to RandyLoving Momma to RW(03) IC(05) & AJ (08)
#25 of 166 Old 01-05-2010, 11:32 AM

So yesterday I got a call from the GI practice saying that I needed to make an appointment for "as soon as possible" (which turned out to be Wednesday). I'm hoping this means that they found something correctable on the CT. After all, they wouldn't tell me to make an appointment right away just to say, "You need more tests," or "You're fine," would they? Anyway, here's to easily-solved problems. The puking has gotten SERIOUSLY old. To be brutally honest, I'd cut off a foot to get my hands on some nebulously-legal anti-emetic. It'd help with the pain and miseries, too, if only I could find the stuff. Life is seriously unfair.

Anyway, I've got to make sure Mike fed the kids so we can get some schoolwork done. If nothing else, tomorrow I can hopefully get some painkillers.

#26 of 166 Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Rynna

Dea - what cues does Trixie give you when she is tired and willing to fall asleep?

I have the no cry sleep solution, but I don't have the presence of mind to actually sort out and pinpoint what is going on.
My problem solving skills have taken a serious nose dive.

Today thankfully DH was here to help with nap time. Hillel fights and fights and then when he falls asleep he sleeps for 2 hours straight. I am just so tired. I kinda just thought it was always like this. But maybe it doesn't need to be quite so hard

#27 of 166 Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Megan, I really liked the NCSS for Toddlers book and it has helped us a lot in terms of Robin's sleep problems. It's still not perfect by a longshot but has improved dramatically. A regular schedule has been a big factor -- she naps around noon every day, and then goes to bed about 6 hours after she wakes from nap (usually around 8 pm).

I've found lately that Robin is getting good at tricking us into helping her stay awake by asking for things, wanting one of us then the other, wanting a blanket then rejecting it, etc. She seems to have a lot more going on mentally and is more easily distracted. A few nights ago, I left her alone on our bed after nursing her and said I'd send her dad in. We waited to see if she cried, and she didn't... and now it's 3 nights in a row she's fallen asleep on her own! I am wondering if my/our presence became more of a distraction than a help in terms of relaxation.

For the record, she takes a bath every night and I do think it helps her relax, but I can see how it might backfire for some kids. We do bath time, then turn on lullaby music and nurse for about 10 minutes. Then I get up and hope she falls asleep on her own... otherwise, Dad takes over.

Dea, PISA = Pump In Style Advanced. I have also heard good things about the Purely Yours. I got great results with my PIS after getting nothing out of the Avent Isis a friend sent me (hand pump that's well reviewed). They are pricy but I think if pumping is going to be a big part of your life, you should invest in a pump that has a great track record.

#28 of 166 Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 PM

megan- what time does hillel get up in the morning? linnaea was doing the exact same thing until i stopped nursing her to get her sleep in a little because i was so tired from the stay up late schedule.

she'd wake at 7 and i'd nurse her back to sleep until 8:00.

when i finally got up with her at 7, she'd nap at 12-12:30 and sleep at 8:00. it was really the only consistent thing i've found that works.

dea- i loved my avent hand pump. i had the mechanized part too but the hand pump was what worked the best for me. like, 6 oz each side when i was first figuring out flow.

rynna- fingers crossed it's easily solvable and not too invasive! i can't wait to read your book.

in news for us, linnaea has started pee'ing on her potty! sometimes. i wish it were summer so she could just be naked but it's too chilly without clothes. i just sent off my first application to Oregon State University and i switch between feeling like i'm never going to get in and like they're totally going to take me. ugh! i can't get the letter soon enough.

eh. who needs a signature?
#29 of 166 Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Dea

Hi!
I can't remember how asked what Trixie's go to sleep cue was, she asks for a bottle. She only gets one before bed, nap and in the middle of the night. But she knows that if she asks for one it's bed time. She can ask and I'll say "it's time for bed?" and she'll agree. This normally happens around 9ish at night and 11amish, even though she wakes at 8:30am.

I had my midwife home visit today. It was nice! Trixie was on full on display mode and was extra cute. Now hopefully I'll go into labour soon!

Thanks for the pump info, it's helping!

#30 of 166 Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM

So baby is kind of transverse/breech (I had both midwifes digging into my abdomen to figure baby's placement...I'm pretty sure based on movements she is head up and maybe a little to the right.)

So now I'm going through the lovely list of options:
1) Chiropractor with the hopes baby will turn
2) Prayer
3) If baby doesn't turn I'm stuck going to the hospital...

So now I'm hurting really bad from all the palpitation and bummed. This kid just doesn't want to give me a break.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page