Age of first haircut for girls? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 15 months and her hair is starting to look pretty goofy. Is it time for a haircut? She seems so young....though I started taking ds in for haircuts at 11 months. When did your dd have her first haircut?

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#2 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM

I think 15 months is fine.

My daughter is 18 months and needs a haircut but my husband is stuck on the fact that he does not want her hair cut. Thankfully she doesn't mind hair bows in her hair. Otherwise she looks like a sheepdog.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#3 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Never seriously dd didnt have a hair cut until she was 8yo not even bangs at 8 she wanted bangs so we got them.

I used hairbows to hold dd's hair up off her eyes when it got long enough. I used the kind that would hurt if she pulled them so it was never an issue.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 PM

I had to cut DD's bangs really early because she takes everything out of her hair (bows, bands) so I can't tie it back and she grew this really bizarre Mohawk shock of hair in the center of her head right down to her eyes. I think I trimmed it at about a year and then had a professional do it at 15 mo and she needs another already.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#5 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM

I trimmed DD's hair myself when she was about 18 months because it was getting scraggly at the ends and tangling more. We're talking like 1/4-1/2". Also, since she had a bald spot as an infant, she has two layers of hair in the back and I'd like to keep trimming the bottom layer so the top layer will eventually catch up.

As for taking her to get it CUT? Probably won't be for a LOOOOOONG time.

I haven't even my own hair professionally cut in nineteen years.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#6 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
DD is 20 months and hasn't had her hair cut yet. I don't want to do bangs and she's good about leaving a clip in, so I'm trying to let it grow so that all of it is at least shoulder-length and then get a blunt cut and let it grow out from there.

It looks a little strange these days -- definitely not a haircut most people would intentionally go for (kind of a long shag/mullet ), but I think if I wait a few more months we'll be able to do a really cute blunt bob so I'm trying to be patient. I'll be glad to see those fine, tapered ends disappear, although I'm sure I'll be a little wistful about it while they're getting cut for the first time.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#7 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 AM

Man, I'm so jealous of all your lo's who have hair long enough to even think about cutting (or tying back or putting a clip/bow in). *sigh* My dd (17mo) is only starting to have anything thicker than peach fuzz, except for one lonely curl in the back that is almost to her shoulders now.

OP, you do know that all haircut question posts require a pic, right? Its in the forum guidelines, in case you were wondering.

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#8 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
mbm

DD is 14 months and I trimmed her bangs on Sunday -- I should have done it earlier, but I was afraid to mess up her hair before Christmas. The bangs are probably a little uneven, but at least they are out of her eyes. I trimmed a few wispies off the back of her baby mullet, too.

She won't stand for barrettes and they fall right out of her fine, straight hair. Our day care provider was able to put her hair into two short ponytails sticking straight up from her head, and she looked like a little bug. It was really cute, but not exactly a style for every day!
#9 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post
Man, I'm so jealous of all your lo's who have hair long enough to even think about cutting (or tying back or putting a clip/bow in). *sigh* My dd (17mo) is only starting to have anything thicker than peach fuzz, except for one lonely curl in the back that is almost to her shoulders now.
yeah totally! I'm hoping my 19 month old dd will grow hair at some point...
#10 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM

I have a boy but hoping the next is a girl and I would seriously put off cutting her hair for as long as possible. I still regret cutting DS hair at 16 months. He had wonderful, fluffy, curly {loose curls} hair. It grew back in straighter and not as soft Although even if we didn't have his hair cut it would have at some point gone from baby hair to big kid hair. I am very much missing my baby now that he is 28 months. I think its time for another baby!

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#11 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM

I recently trimmed dd2's bangs to get rid of the few long wispy pieces getting in her eyes. She's 18 months. We'll attempt to grow them out now. Dd1 didn't get a haircut for probably over 2 years as her hair grew much more slowly. We attempted to grow longer hair with her but after a year or so of fighting the tangles that comes along with very fine straight hair and dd refusing clips or ponies in any way we went with a chin length bob and bangs. Much better.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM

DD is 21 months and I trimmed her hair just 5 minutes ago for the very first time. Her mullet had gotten absolutely unbearable. I only trimmed about 2 inches off the back, the front is no where long enough to even think about trimming yet ~ I just want to get to a blunt little bob by summertime Its cute!
#13 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Kate is almost 3 and she asked for us to give her bangs a bit so we did, other than that no haircuts for her yet! Her hair is around her waist.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#14 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM

I love the look of a bob on a little girl. DD had a definite baby mullet, so it had to go. I cut it off at 20 months. Another kidlet here who refused to keep any kind of clip/elastic/headband in her hair.
#15 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM

I reckon we won't cut DD's hair until/if she asks for it. Being as curly as it is, it will take a long time to look long. But it has the added bonus of not really falling into her eyes, it just goes up! But once it is cutting time, it will probably be to a salon since I have no ability to cut even my boring straight hair.

signature currently in transition
#16 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

DD was about 2.5 when we got just the ends trimmed a little. Just removed the longest layer basically. Then a week or 2 later *someone* (either my younger sister or MIL) gave her bangs. Not cool, but what was done was done, no un-cutting hair, KWIM? S onw nearly a year later her bangs are mostly grown out and her hair is mid-back. Depending on how her most recent hair washing revolt goes, it may be cut short soon.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#17 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Dd1 didn't get hers cut until she was 5 or 6 and lopped off a big chunk herself. The 18 mo could prob. use a haircut as it grows straight down into her eyes, no natural part or anything; I actually had to push her hair out of her eyes to see them when she was born. For now she doesn't mind ponytails so I guess we'll wait until something changes.
#18 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM

It varies. My niece's first haircut was this past December at age 4. And then the scissors were put out of her reach.

At the rate her hair is going, Lina's not going to need a haircut until 20.

Do you like how her hair looks? If not, cut it.
#19 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM

My daughter is 18 months old and she hasn't had a haircut yet. I have cut her bangs 6 or 7 times though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page