toddler foods - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post
I realize I did not give enough details to my post. I was mostly wondering about on the go snack foods for out of the house. I do offer my child what I eat for the most part.
for snacks out of the house, we carry some of the following:
-slices of bread (homemade whole wheat bread sliced into strips)
-cheese (usually cheddar)
-apple slices
-banana

we always have one or two of these with us.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#32 of 48 Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I'm often surprised by what she likes - she nommed down fairly spicy curry the other night - but there are things she won't touch, either.
It's so funny, isn't it? Today my 2 year old ate my entire packet of ginger from the sushi I was eating. She just ate it out of the package! Then at dinner she put a carrot (caramelized with a bit of honey and butter) in her mouth and spit it right back out.

We don't really do much in the way of snacks. Usually the only snack she eats is after her nap she has something small. We eat lunch out fairly often, and I just pack what she would eat at home.

I always carry some Crushers from Trader Joe's in my diaper bag, though, for if we get caught somewhere and are late for a meal. Those things are fantastic. It's basically applesauce in a little foil pouch. So it keeps and there's no cleanup. There are a few different brands that make them, if you google toddler food in pouches you can find some. I've seen different brands at Whole Foods too.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#33 of 48 Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 PM

On-the-go snack foods:

whole grain crackers with cheese
cut up apples (or any fruit really)
Bananas
applesauce cups
Balance bars
Clif kids bars
Whole grain bread with fruit spread
yogurt

Honestly, we don't eat a lot of snack food. So even between meals it's more like, leftover soup, a bowl of cottage cheese, etc.
#34 of 48 Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
anything to dip foods into (dressing, ketchup, lemon juice)
That one backfires on me. With sour cream, she just uses the carrot stick to scoop it up and eat tons of the stuff (she's a dairy fiend!). With hummus, she uses the carrot stick to "paint" it all over the plate. With bread and olive oil, she dips one end and takes a bite off the other... repeatedly... until one end is completely sogging. It's all very gross. I like a lot of dip-related meals, so I'm living for the day when she learns not to double-dip!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#35 of 48 Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM

I haven't read everything, but my daughter goes through stages of what she likes. Ideas that usually work:

Smoothies. Berries, yogurt, fruit, and (to sneak in something filling) almond butter. This is my secret, before-betime weapon if she hasn't eaten and I know that she's likely to wake up hungry.

Cheese. I cut regular cheese up into cubes.

Anything with an interesting name. She might not want pasta, but she'll scarf down happy noodles with a peanut butter sauce on it.

Waffles. We haven't had them for a while, but I should do them again. I freeze extra and take them out later, put them in the toaster, and voila! An instant, to-go snack.

Eggs. Except for lately. This is the first time she's turned up her nose at scrambled eggs. I'm not complaining, though, because I'm pregnant and the smell of eggs cooking is revolting right now. Maybe it's a sympathy aversion? In any case, I'm not complaining!

Hopefully these aren't all repeats!
#36 of 48 Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post
I realize I did not give enough details to my post. I was mostly wondering about on the go snack foods for out of the house. I do offer my child what I eat for the most part.
I find on-the-go food harder than regular meals, too, because it needs to be relatively tidy and safe without refrigeration for a few hours. A couple of things we do is cubes of cheese, kidney beans or chickpeas, fruit (obviously) and strips of wholewheat bread. I'm still trying to find a whole grain, sugar-free version of Cheerios, though!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#37 of 48 Old 01-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Our on the go options are mostly granola bars, raisins, and cereal. I wish I could find a way to get DD to eat more protein.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#38 of 48 Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
I find on-the-go food harder than regular meals, too, because it needs to be relatively tidy and safe without refrigeration for a few hours. A couple of things we do is cubes of cheese, kidney beans or chickpeas, fruit (obviously) and strips of wholewheat bread. I'm still trying to find a whole grain, sugar-free version of Cheerios, though!
i like the kidney/garbanzo bean idea! i'm adding to my list - thanks!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#39 of 48 Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM

breakfast everyday is oatmeal cooked in whole milk w/ raisins and cinnamon (sometimes i substitute the raisins for apricots or banana or apples.

second breakfast- corn, peas, blueberries, goat cheese,

lunch- pasta, sauce, plain yogurt

snack-banana, apple, cheerios, rice cakes

I also find my dd is starving by dinner time which is 5:45. This seems unbelievable early but means she's in bed by 7.

Eating out- the big hits are blueberry pancakes and pizza

Some days I can't feed her enough she's so hungry and other days she just nurses and plays.
#40 of 48 Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM

He eats anything we are eating plus I bought some special organic puffs and o's and cereals for car rides, waiting rooms, etc. Makes them exciting! We are vegetarian so no meat.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#41 of 48 Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

My daughter is pretty good about eating a variety of things. She has weird toddler quirks, such as rarely eating dinner and wanting to exist on cheese and blueberries, but for the most part I feel great about her diet.

Breakfast:
Toast with peanut butter
Smoothies
Cheese, fruit, and a muffin
Cereal and fruit
Scrambled eggs and toast
Oatmeal with blueberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a handful of chopped walnuts

Lunch:
Sandwiches and fruit
Ham, Cheese, crackers, fruit, and veggies and ranch(I use a plate with a bunch of divided sections and make her a healthy lunchable-type meal)
Leftovers from the night before
Quesadilla and refried beans
Mac and cheese, plus veggies

Snacks:
Raw veggies and ranch(she rejects most cooked vegetables but will go to town on raw vegetables and salad)
Fruit
Cheese(absurd amounts. String cheese, chunks of cheddar, "baby cheese" which is what she calls the little round Babel rounds)
Homemade muffins
Cheerios
Crackers
Nuts(this is new but she loves them and seems to do well chewing them)
Sweet potato and carrot chips

Dinner:
I serve her whatever we're having that night. She rarely eats it and I rarely stress about it. She gets enough calories and nutrition throughout the day to make too big of a deal of one meal.
#42 of 48 Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 AM

OP - thanks for posting. I too struggle with snack ideas. I don't think DS does though. I steam a bunch of green beans then heat them up, DS would eat as many as I put on his plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
she used to love oatmeal but has recently begun declining it.
:rofl That is such a nice way of saying "she hates it now and throws in on the floor if I dare offer it." :rofl!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#43 of 48 Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Love this post!

#44 of 48 Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM

These days DS is really only interested in a food if it is some sort of fresh fruit, a green vegetable, or really spicy. If it doesn't fit into the first two categories, I crack red pepper over it or pour on a little tabasco sauce and he's good to go. On the go foods can be tricky for us lately. When it's practical, I bring a box of fresh strawberries or blueberries. Otherwise, I bring homemade Lara bar type things and he'll occasionally nibble on one. He also really, really likes certain freeze dried veggies, but we have a hard time finding anything other than freeze dried apples, strawberries, or bananas around here and he only likes fruit fresh. When we can find the stuff, freeze dried peas and that sort make really good on the go snacks. Nuts sometimes work, but about half the time he requests them, he chews them up and then spits the pulp on my lap, so we don't go there often...

#45 of 48 Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 AM

ugh, DS is all about carbs right now... he loves toast, pasta and cereal bars. crackers of most any kind. he rejects almost all veggies right now, but will do some fruit. he loves cheese and yogurt but we're about to do an elimination diet for dairy b/c of a chronic runny nose.

I need to get on the ball with some ideas!

toora, I bought some Just Veggies from amazon, I was hoping he'd like 'em but alas... anyway, if u hav a hard time finding them locally, you may consider ordering them? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=just+veggies&sprefix=just+veggies%2Caps%2C2919

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#46 of 48 Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Our son doesn't care for just veggies or just fruit--and I actually think they taste like the dehydrated veggies from cup o' noodles....otherwise, these are the things he consistently eats (he "eats what we eat" but I always include something I KNOW he'll eat on his plate...and sometimes that's the only thing he'll eat from his plate.  (So, last night we had arugula/pear/blue cheese/dried cranberry salad--he ate some noodles with blue cheese and peas, some bread and I gave him a single piece of arugula, two slices of pear and a single dried cranberry as his "salad")

scrambled eggs (with spinach scrambled in) and toast

yogurt and fruit 

french toast (whole grain bread, always and about two teaspoons of maple syrup)

waffles (homemade, whole wheat flour and flax with berries)

pancakes (sometimes with grated carrot in them)

hummus toast

mini bagels with cream cheese or hummus

pizza (with olives and veggies)

beans, all sorts

quesadillas (I mash in all sorts of things and put them in quesadillas, things like veggies, beans, tofu)

scrambled tofu

frozen peas

frozen corn

corn on the cob

berries of any kind

any fruit (up to and included grapefruit)

grilled cheese

smoothies

kefir

quinoa 

noodles with either red sauce or plain (veggies mixed in)

LOVES tomatos

salsa

bell peppers (raw, and he wants to eat them whole so he can bite "holes" into them)

We pretty much have "dry" food for out of house snacks--crackers, bread, veggies, frozen peas, fruit and veggie/yogurt smoothie pouches

He does not care for cooked orange vegetables--just won't eat them (sometimes I can get him to eat raw carrot or I will make sweet potato pancakes).  He also will not eat potatoes (even as french fries).  He usually won't eat plain cheese.  

Kids are funny...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#47 of 48 Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Anyone have some veggie ideas for a toddler with very poor chewing skills?  My 2 year old is great at trying veggies - in fact really LOVES eating some of them - but still spits out anything with skins or strings (string beans, spinach, raw peppers, any sort of lettuce, etc...)  I thought she was just being picky about texture and have tried encouraging her to chew and swallow some of these foods - and she almost choked.  Twice.  So I think I'm going to trust her judgment about the veggies, but it's really limiting.  Aside from pureed soups, which she WILL eat, any ideas for toddler veggies for the hard-of-chewing? 

Our most recent toddler food hits, BTW:

English cucumber slices w/rice vinegar and sesame oil

Lentil salad

"To-food" - little raw cubes shaken up with soy sauce are her favorite

Curry-flavored tomato soup

Broth, broth, broth

Pasta and bean soup

Those weird crunchy snap peas - Simply Salad, I think?

Corn on the cob

Cottage cheese

#48 of 48 Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM

I mince veggies that DS likes the taste of but has a hard time chewing (eg spinach) and put them in things like quesadillas or scrambles.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page