potty training my boy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all. Is there any good books that might help my husband and I potty train our son? He is 18 months and we are due with ds2 in april. We are in NO HURRY to potty train him but we figured it would be a good time to start thinking about it. Also should I start after ds2 is born so I don't have to deal with him reverting back when babe arrives? Advice? Good books?

Leah wife to Jason 9/06 mother to Coltyn 6/24/08 and Kyle 5/20/10 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 AM

do you already have a potty? start by getting one put it in the bathroom or somewhere he can get to it. Get books like 'the potty book for boys' or 'Joshuas potty' and just start reading them to him.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
there seems to be some time bfor the new baby is here. my dd is not yet potty trained but is in the process. well, i'd suggest to go cold turkey for 3 weeks at least. i've also borrowed these dvds from the local lib to help out and she loves them:

Go potty Go
I gotta go
Its potty time

It might be a good idea to start reading and watching the dvds. Once he understands the concept you shud take him to buy his potty and of course make a big deal about it.

Good luck.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM

It's Potty Time and A Potty for Me are faves around here. Good luck to you! I had grand plans to train my older son when DS2 was due, it just didn't happen for us. He finally trained after turning 3, he just wasn't cooperative before that.

Laura, momma to DS1 12/12/06 and DS2 6/5/08
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!! i have ordered a couple of books and plan to get a potty chair soon. like i said i am not in a hurry. i have heard that if you push it too soon (especially with boys) it just draws it out longer. thanks ladies

Leah wife to Jason 9/06 mother to Coltyn 6/24/08 and Kyle 5/20/10 :
Old 01-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Diaper Free Before 3 was very helpful for my son. Picked it up at the local bf store. Bjorn potty next to play mat + 1500 stories and he is almost trained at 2 1/2
Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 PM

I heard good things about Potty Power {think thats the tittle}. Although we never bought the DVD. We actually used the 3-Day Potty Training e book. Took more than 3 days for us! But I liked the concept and there were zero power struggles. He had one huge regression mostly due to DH's trip. DH was gone for 10 days and DS was not too keen on his daily routine changing! BUT the ebook suggest the earliest starting age is 22 months but it does say you could start earlier but it would take more than 3 days.

Best of luck!

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}

User Tag List