My toddler is turning into a picky eater - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having a hard time getting him to eat anything besides noodles, oatmeal, yogurt, crackers and milk. The plus is that we only do whole wheat pasta and crackers in our house. But I'm getting a little worried. I have a bottle of flinstones vitamins (I know I know... loaded with artifical colors, but it's what I've got right now) and I've started giving him a half tablet a day. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to try one of those V8 fruit/veggie juices with him? Any other suggestions? This is a boy who as a baby and young toddler would eat anything (we did baby-led solids starting at 6 months).

P.S. He does like fruit... we buy seasonal/on sale fruit so right now it's a lot of apples and oranges.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Why are you getting worried? Is he showing signs of not growing or developing well?

Kids go through phases and some just dont eat much at all. If everything else is ok then I would not worry much, but if things are not OK then I would try other things like maybe smoothies with stuff "hidden" in them.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

He's growing fine now... probably faster than most toddlers, actually... but that's because he recently had a congenital heart defect repaired (the defect caused him to basically stop growing at about 5months).

I just want to make sure he is getting a well-rounded diet.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm always worried about my ds eating enough. He's in the 5th % for weight, and can get very picky. However, what I find is that you should still offer a variety of foods. If you only give them what they eat today, then that is what they are always going to eat. Keep offering, and of course model the fact that you're eating it. And don't give him too many snacks (crackers)...if he's not hungry, then he'll hold out for the good stuff
By the way, I found liquid Baby Plex vitamins...no sugar or other sweetener, just a natural citrus flavor. Ds really likes it.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
He's growing fine now... probably faster than most toddlers, actually... but that's because he recently had a congenital heart defect repaired (the defect caused him to basically stop growing at about 5months).

I just want to make sure he is getting a well-rounded diet.
If he's otherwise healthy, I mean there is no physiological or psychological barrier to him eating and this is simply normal toddler pickiness, then as we say in this house. It's our job to provide nutritious food, it's our toddlers job NOT to eat it

Just keep providing a wide array, small portions of varied foodstuffs and his little body will lead him to fulfill his nutritional requirements on his own. Not all in one day or even in one week but his little taste of this, rejection of that, gorging on the other is most likely his body leading him to eat exactly what he needs right now for optimal growth and development.

Some days, I swear my son eats no more than a tablespoon of food from all meals and snacks offered, all day. Other days he eats like he'll never see food again.

Try not to worry (as if)

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM

unless they've changed the formula recently, Flintstones have artificial sweetener in them. I'd rather have my kid skip the vitamin and live on whole wheat noodles and yogurt for awhile than ingest artificial sweetener.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 01-17-2010, 04:05 AM

So do you all think a 2yr old that is very picky (especially with some textures) and has not really gained much weight in about 3 months, but is maintaining weight (i.e. not losing) and still eating a smaller variety of food sounds normal? This is my DS. I swear he wants to try new foods but doesnt like the texture so he backs off or spits it out. I see him making progress but it is very very slow....9 months ago he wouldnt touch string cheese, now he will eat it. He has his favorites that he will eat anytime all the time some of them junk food which I'm not thrilled about but IDK what else to do. We just keep offering him all kinds. It just gets frustrating at times. He is still nursing a little and very active. I just want to know from other mammas that at this age its still very much normal and ok. TIA
Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM

My 15-month old is in a pretty picky phase right now too. She used to eat EVERYTHING. Some days are better than others and some days I swear she is subsisting on bagel and breastmilk! On those days I repeat to myself over and over, "It's my job to prepare and offer good, nutritious food. And it's Thalia's job to decide what to eat." But I like Bea's version even better! I figure if I keep repeating it, I'll believe it eventually!

I keep on offering a variety of things and try not to give in to the, well, I'll just make mac & cheese specially for her so she will eat feelings. But it's hard not to worry, I'm a worrier. Hang in there! You are not alone. And from all that I've heard, this is a natural phase.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
If he's otherwise healthy, I mean there is no physiological or psychological barrier to him eating and this is simply normal toddler pickiness, then as we say in this house. It's our job to provide nutritious food, it's our toddlers job NOT to eat it

Just keep providing a wide array, small portions of varied foodstuffs and his little body will lead him to fulfill his nutritional requirements on his own. Not all in one day or even in one week but his little taste of this, rejection of that, gorging on the other is most likely his body leading him to eat exactly what he needs right now for optimal growth and development.

Some days, I swear my son eats no more than a tablespoon of food from all meals and snacks offered, all day. Other days he eats like he'll never see food again.

Try not to worry (as if)
This is great advice

and

User Tag List