dehydrated DS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a bit concerned about DS.
I think he picked up a bug on the plane we flew on on Tuesday.
All day yesterday he was vomiting and had a couple of diarrhea explosions. When he wasn't being sick though he was happy in himself and chatty, no fever, not lethargic etc.
He last vomited about 11 hours ago (2am here) and has been sipping water all day. He has had diarrhea once. Has eaten about 6 tsps porridge and half banana.
My concern is that he hasn't had a wet diaper all day. I tried to give him dioralyte but he didn't like the taste and refused it.
What should I/could I do? Do I need to be worried?
Thanks in advance

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#2 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I think logically what might have happened is all the water he is drinking is going towards building his fluids back again with nothing to spare. so after tonight he should be ok.

i have had the kinda same situation with my 13 month old. i kept in touch with teh docs and they kept in touch with me hourly. dd didnt have a wet diaper for over was it 12 or 24 hours. he had me put toilet paper in her diaper to make sure i note even a few drops as that is called a wet diaper.

the next day seh went back to normal as if nothing had happened. she however had no signs of dehydration - dry mouth or listless. or even dry skin.

she nursed on an on and off basis though and she has never ever drunk any kind of pedialyte. she would never touch them. i never got a chance to try pedialyte popsicles.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
I think logically what might have happened is all the water he is drinking is going towards building his fluids back again with nothing to spare. so after tonight he should be ok.

i have had the kinda same situation with my 13 month old. i kept in touch with teh docs and they kept in touch with me hourly. dd didnt have a wet diaper for over was it 12 or 24 hours. he had me put toilet paper in her diaper to make sure i note even a few drops as that is called a wet diaper.

the next day seh went back to normal as if nothing had happened. she however had no signs of dehydration - dry mouth or listless. or even dry skin.

she nursed on an on and off basis though and she has never ever drunk any kind of pedialyte. she would never touch them. i never got a chance to try pedialyte popsicles.

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time DS has been sick since he weaned and it's more of a worry.

Living in Russia
#4 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 PM

DD is recovering today from a stomach bug. First throw up was night before last and she couldn't keep anything down at all. Yesterday she kept a few nursing sessions down but still vomited every few hours. She nursed CONSTANTLY. First words after a vomiting episode were milk. She didn't really seem to be wetting her diapers so I would take a quick whiff of it. Sometimes they are so absorbent it's hard to tell if they have peed at all. A whiff is all it takes to make sure.

Dehydration symptoms include dry eyes and other mucus membranes, listlessness, cracked lips, and a doughy like skin.

If your son is nursing and able to keep small amnts of fluids down he should be fine. Dehydration does come on pretty sudden in small children but as long as they are getting some sort of fluid in them they usually do fine.

Adrienne~SAHM to DS1~9, DS2~7, and DD1~4/08, partner in crime to DH since 98~
#5 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I previously posted that DS started vomiting/diarrhea last Wednesday.

By Friday, he was better in the day but vomited in bed at midnight or so.

Saturday, happy in himself. Lots of water.
He had the most putrid smelling gas all day and his 2 bowel movements were a pale yellow colour, very loose.
Ate cereal at breakfast, small sandwich at lunch and then dinner was about 1/4 cup of pasta.
He threw up while eating it.

Today, Sunday.
Again fine all day. Ate small meals, Drank lots of water.
No BMs or nasty gas.
Made him a small bowl of poached chicken and boiled rice for dinner.
He threw up while eating it

I'm going to try to get him in to see a Doc tomorrow but any ideas what's going on Mamas?
Is he tummy just really irritated?
WWYD??

Living in Russia
#6 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Hi Mama,
Poor Kiddo! First, stop feeding him anything solid until he hasn't thrown up for a full day. Maybe give him some pedialite, chicken broth, etc (you know, clear liquids). I think you want to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, so focus on the liquids.
Is he still peeing? How often? What color/odor is the pee?
Is it very strong smelling?
How is he acting? Is he lethargic? Listless?
Good luck!
~maddymama
#7 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I took him to the Doc this morning despite the short walk in -4f (-20c). Brrr
He agreed that the bug is on it's way out and prescribed some probiotics which is a welcome relief from the usual antibiotic pushing.
Doc reassured me about dehydration as DS is drinking lots throughout the day and only vomiting once per day.
Fingers crossed he's on the mend.

Living in Russia
#8 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Yeah! I'm glad the doc prescribed probiotics... :-) And I'm glad he's on the mend!
~maddymama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page