tell me everyone has these days - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today was awful. DD (15 months) was up 10+ times last night and she was only down for 9 hours. Then she spent the morning screaming or nursing. She's nursed so much in the last 24 hours that my nipples feel like some has rubbed steel wool on them. Then she was so tired at nap time, which makes sense b/c she had an awful night of sleep. I tried for 45 minutes to get her to sleep, I rubbed her back, played with her hair, left her alone, nursed her and nothing worked. I was so frustrated I put her in her room and shut the door for 15 minutes. So I officially have done CIO and feel like crap now. I went to get her and she finally passed out on the couch for 45 minutes when naps are usually at least 90 minutes. I can't take anymore so she's watching TV right now. I feel awful, but I just can't handle her right now. Please tell me you've had bad days too.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 13 Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 PM

Yep, had almost a whole week like that recently!
DS1 took to waking in the night for no apparent reason, he always sleeps very well so this was unusual. DS2 took to waking SEVERAL times during the night and/or getting up at 5am. I'm too pregnant to be handling this well plus DH was starting to get really sleep deprived, plus it was our first week back at work after the holidays so that was stressful.
Then DS1 started pooping in his pants (when he was supposedly napping) and smearing it all over his bedroom walls, dresser, bed, bedding, his brother's crib....his BROTHER.
He did this 3 days and I caught him one evening starting to do it in the playroom downstairs. I thought I was going to lose it. I almost sent them both to my aunt's for the weekend. Fortunately everything improved GREATLY by the weekend (and DH refused to send them away).

All I can say is that it gets MUCH better and it's just a phase Not every day will be this rough!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#3 of 13 Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 PM

When my babes get like that it's either teething or they're coming down with something. That gives me patience, the knowledge that it's going to end with or without my intervention. G/L, I think every family has those days.
#4 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 AM

moved to toddlers

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#5 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 AM

Yikes, that sounds like a rough night...

Usually it's teething behind something like that with my DS. I'd have gone for the Tylenol personally, to see if it helped.

(And to the previous poster with the poop story, how the heck do you begin to deal with that?? I'm afraid I'd freak out. How old was your DS?)

Carey
Mama to Charlie (4/08) and Toby (2/10)
#6 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 AM

i'm so glad you posted this. I had a very similar day with my 15 month old DS. Very draining for both of us. I've been wondering if it's teething but am not sure. Hugs to you. . . days like this have me chanting over and over in my head "the days are long, but the years are short" - I cling to that perspective sometimes.

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

#7 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Jack did that last month. Hes teething and had an ear infection. He wasnt screaming like in pain just unsettled and did the all night boobie buffet. For him not sleeping and sucking = ear infection (bad - buldging eardrum and all)

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
YES! We had similar days at that age. I thought I was going to lose it. I couldn't believe this was how toddlerhood was going to be, and just wanted to run away from home. DH was mad at me b/c I'm a SAHM and I was miserable and failing miserably too. Then it eased up a little.

I don't give medicine unless it's absolutely necessary, but I'd try Tylenol or Advil (or a homeopathic if you prefer) at night to see if that helps her sleep so you can rest, too. It could be teething or growing pains.

Good luck, I know it's hard!
#9 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM

yes, I have had many days like this it seems...my dd is almost 17 months now and we will have some smooth days and then some not so smooth days. I didn't realize how trying this age can be....between the nap refusal when she is clearly tired, to the refusal to eat and then sign "eat" just as I am cleaning up, putting her to bed etc. some days I do feel as if I could just go mad.
last week when I was driving home from a little me time I wondered what it would be like to just drive.....and keep going

J- mama to E (8/08) and C (11/10)

#10 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian11 View Post
(And to the previous poster with the poop story, how the heck do you begin to deal with that?? I'm afraid I'd freak out. How old was your DS?)

Wellllllll first I posted to MDC then started looking up stuff like crazy because smearing poop (at 3yrs of age!) and sorting/patterning/organizing toys all of a sudden seemed really bad That just made me worry more. And then see that there's nothing *wrong* with him...it was just a bad week.

I had a couple moments of rage, not just frustration but full out rage that I was able to control enough to go alone to the garage and break something before letting the kids see how upset it was making me. Then I just stuck to cold showers to get him cleaned up and had him help me clean his room up and do the resulting 2 loads of laundry each time (winter blankets mostly). I do not look forward to him doing this again so I hope he got it out of his system then!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#11 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
Then DS1 started pooping in his pants (when he was supposedly napping) and smearing it all over his bedroom walls, dresser, bed, bedding, his brother's crib....his BROTHER.
Oh Yuck! Poor brother!!! 20 month old DS has woken several mornings after playing in his poopy diaper but he hasn't managed to figure out how to get it all the way off, he just sticks his hand in there. I got so fed up I went and bought all new one piece PJ's!

It's totally normal to have days like you had today. I think we have at least one a week if not more. DS is quite the character and it makes it worse when we're cooped up inside because of the weather. I do notice that when he starts night waking again he's about to get sick so maybe she's feeling under the weather? Esp. since all she wanted to do was nurse. Take a hot bath and relax - it's the weekend so I hope your SO will be around to help out and you get some "me" time!!!

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#12 of 13 Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup plenty of nights like that. Except my guy is usually perky the next day while I'm dragging myself around. I've read that 15-18 months is a rough patch.

It could be teething. My guy's upper molars are just barely peeking out and his lower ones have shifted into place as well. I've noticed some nipple soreness lately too: I think his latch gets a bit lazy when new teeth are coming in.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#13 of 13 Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 PM

You just described how my MONTH is going. It's been extremely rough. Hang in there. I think we'll both get through it.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page