toddler smacks own head! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all -- my DS is 21 months old (as of tomorrow).
when he is frustrated, he smacks himself in the head. i find this highly disturbing. i try to stop him and tell him to be gentle with himself, but i'm not sure if my point is getting across.
it seems to happen when he is trying to communicate something to me or my DH and we're just not getting it. he has about 35 words and some of the key signs, but i know he's simply dying to tell us so much more.
have any of you experienced this? what did you do?
thanks so much
megan
#2 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My daughter does that sometimes, along with pulling her hair hard enough to make her say "owwwww!!!" It's... interesting to watch. I mostly don't intervene. Her relationship with her body is hers to navigate. I talk to her about how that looks like it isn't fun, but if she wants to do it I don't know that trying to prevent it would work. My daughter is incredibly, unusually verbal. She is 20 months and she knows a few thousand words and puts together fairly complex 4-5-6 word sentences and she gets verb tense and everything. I don't think it is just a communication issue. She can communicate. She is really awesome at saying, "Shanna frustrated! Shanna wants (fill in the blank)" and then she still whacks herself. So... yeah. I treat it like a weird kid thing to ignore.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
My daughter does that sometimes, along with pulling her hair hard enough to make her say "owwwww!!!" It's... interesting to watch. I mostly don't intervene. Her relationship with her body is hers to navigate. I talk to her about how that looks like it isn't fun, but if she wants to do it I don't know that trying to prevent it would work. My daughter is incredibly, unusually verbal. She is 20 months and she knows a few thousand words and puts together fairly complex 4-5-6 word sentences and she gets verb tense and everything. I don't think it is just a communication issue. She can communicate. She is really awesome at saying, "Shanna frustrated! Shanna wants (fill in the blank)" and then she still whacks herself. So... yeah. I treat it like a weird kid thing to ignore.
It's taken me a while to get to this point but I agree with you. The more I told DD to not hit herself or yank her hair the more I did it. I figure it's herbody if she wants to pull and poke more power to her. LOL

I'm impressed by your daughters unusual verbal ability! Nice! Wow.
#4 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
It's taken me a while to get to this point but I agree with you. The more I told DD to not hit herself or yank her hair the more I did it. I figure it's herbody if she wants to pull and poke more power to her. LOL

I'm impressed by your daughters unusual verbal ability! Nice! Wow.
Apparently my husband was speaking in sentences at eight months. She sure didn't get this much precocity from me. ha.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 AM

My DS did this for a short time too. I think I would say "ouch" or honey don't do that or even ignore and then distract him. It turned out to be just a little phase. My niece did it too when she was this age.
#6 of 6 Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It's helpful to hear that this is pretty common.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page