Good Books on Parenting a Very Active Toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good books on parenting toddlers. Our daughter in almost 16 mo, is very active and gets into everything. She is also very verbal and seems to understand a lot but doesn't quite grasp the concept of "no" or right/ wrong yet (which I know is totally normal).

We don't want to be the type of parents constantly saying "no", but I often find myself getting frustrated. Sometimes I think that because she is so verbal and so active we expect her to know that repeatedly dumping the cat food all over the floor is not a good thing. But she just thinks everything is a game and laughs at us when we try to tell her no.

We try to keep her engaged and involved and try to use positive reinforcement while not drawing too much attention to negative behavior but then we turn our head for a moment and she is scaling the shelves in the pantry! Ha!

So...any good books or articles out there to help us better understand her and give us some tools for positive parenting?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Could have written your post except with us its the dog water bowl...

Wife to DH : and SAHM to miracle DS born 10/30/08 and expecting a second miracle 10/03/10 after 11/09 loss. Only semi- crunchy but learning as I go...
#3 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

My 13 month old is the same. I don't have any good book recommendations, but my best strategy is keeping things he shouldn't have out of sight/away. Like, bathroom door always closed so he won't drop things in the toilet, cat food behind a baby gate so he won't eat it, all electronic equipment up high, etc. I try to limit the amount of things I have to say "No" to. When I do accidentally leave something within his grasp I mostly distract him with something else while I remove the first thing. He'll get it eventually.
#4 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 AM

same here, everything is toddler proofed to the maximum. Even to the point of not having any chairs about that he can move around.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#5 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM

I definitely understand that!!! DD is crazy runnign around the house all the time. I'm just soooo thankful that she's too short to reach the doorknobs still. I think once she can reach them all chaos will be let lose .

I just try and keep her really active. Overstimulation just seems to never happen with us. Rather, I feel she just can't get enough of everything. We chase her a lot and play hide and seek (well, I hide and she comes and find me). Lots of stuff to keep her moving so she doesn't have a chance to get into the cat food. . She'll even do exercise videos with me. But if anybody has a good book idea (especially with lots of fun ideas for toddler activities when it's too cold to go to the playground), I am all ears!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page